This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Forum Updates and a Quote Plea

Helene

Several times a year we file threads from "Heads Up!" and "Recent Performances" into the appropriate forums. In the last clean-up, I noticed that there were some forums that were becoming unwieldy -- I couldn't find anything in the Ballet Videos (etc.) forum -- a couple of categories where important info was being buried, and a number of static company forums.

I've created a forum called "Ballet Presentations, Lectures/Symposium, Exhibits, and Awards", and the "Ballets Russes Celebrations" forum is now a sub-forum under that. This can include discussions of cross-discipline presentations, etc.

The Ballet Videos, etc. forum now has five sub-forums:

• DVD's/VHS/Downloads
  • "Live" in Cinema, Streams, Webcasts -- this can include archives, and "Live" is in quotes for us West Coasters who get things on tape delay.
  • Interviews/Podcasts/Discussions -- can be audio or video
  • Photography -- this small sub-set of important posts was getting buried in the main forum
  • Documentaries/Features

If you post these to the main forum, that's fine: we'll file it for you. I'm still in the process of filing, which is a work in progress mainly due to the quirks of our search engine, which, for example, comes up with "No topics found" when I search on "DVD."

Where there were no posts in a company forum for years -- up to six years for a couple of them -- I've removed the sub-forum and consolidated the posts into "Other American Ballet Companies," "Other Russian Ballet Companies," etc. It's not that our Admins don't think they're important, but we don't have members who are posting about them.

The trade-off was between the Video forums, which is now the most active, and dormant company forums, and there are a couple fewer forums than before the change.

Which leads me to:

As more and more people using their phones and smaller devices, it means a lot more scrolling. It also means slower resolution if cellular data is being used. Please be judicious in quoting entire posts to address a single point, and please do not quote an embedded video. A lot of the time, the discussion is easy to follow without quotes.

I know the latest version of the software makes it tricky, sometimes impossible, to get in and out of the quote boxes. The easiest way to edit in and around them is to click the light switch icon in the upper left corner of the formatting options, just above the "B" (bold) option. The formatting will look like a typewriter -- for those who remember what this looks like -- and all of the formatting codes will show. If you click the down arrow on your keyboard, you should navigate outside the quote box, and then if you click the little switch icon to toggle it, you'll be back with full formatting options.

The easiest way to edit in and around them is to click the light switch icon in the upper left corner of the formatting options, just above the "B" (bold) option. The formatting will look like a typewriter -- for those who remember what this looks like -- and all of the formatting codes will show. If you click the down arrow on your keyboard, you should navigate outside the quote box, and then if you click the little switch icon to toggle it, you'll be back with full formatting options.

Pretty cool. What I have been doing is putting my cursor above the quote, then hitting Page Down on my keyboard. Nice to be reminded of typewriters though!

I think the "BBC Code" version -- the option to see all of the formatting options -- is based on Microsoft Word, which means it has a mind of its own when it comes to formatting. The "typewriter" option is more like the old, great Word Perfect, where you could click F3 "Reveal Codes" and control the formatting.

The indent feature is another that makes me want to tear my hear out: now matter where the cursor is or what's highlighted, it will indent the post from the beginning. I have to click the little light switch icon and delete the "indent" tags (both [ open ] and [ /close ] for the part that shouldn't be indented.

I'm sure some of this is browser-specific: for example, I've been able to do what kfw describes in other browsers (or maybe an older version of Firefox for Mac, but it's not working for me with an old Mac and the Firefox for Mac latest version.