This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Metamorphosis

atm711

It has been years since I have been so enthusiastic about a new work. Last night at the Joyce Theatre in lower Manhattan I saw Arthur Pita's work. I was twice rewarded---also finally saw Edward Watson live (I have only seen him on DVD---he is superb in 'Mayerling') There are many interpretations of the plot---most are political---mine tend to be more human. Gia Kourlas had a cursory review in today's Times---better to read one of the UK reviews. Watson, aside from a clean technique is an excellent Actor and gives a heartbreaking performance. It will be at the Joyce until Sept. 29.

It has been years since I have been so enthusiastic about a new work. Last night at the Joyce Theatre in lower Manhattan I saw Arthur Pita's work. I was twice rewarded---also finally saw Edward Watson live (I have only seen him on DVD---he is superb in 'Mayerling') There are many interpretations of the plot---most are political---mine tend to be more human. Gia Kourlas had a cursory review in today's Times---better to read one of the UK reviews. Watson, aside from a clean technique is an excellent Actor and gives a heartbreaking performance. It will be at the Joyce until Sept. 29.

One of the best theater pieces I've seen in a long while. Watson is brilliant, but so is the entire cast. Go see it!

I did not see Watson's talked-about excessive flexibility as significant in this piece, but I have never seen anyone with such articulate feet. The book is disturbing, but the visual performance creates a powerful emotional impact. (I find the author's other writings more disturbing, and even haunting, unfortunately.)

Does anyone know anything about the little girl, such as her training?

Did anyone see this piece as part of the London season? How did it relate to the other pieces performed with it?

Are multiple sets used, or can the set be readily cleaned for the next performance?

f.y.i.

house program bio for Corey Annand

<<

COREY ANNAND (Grete Samsa). Born in Surrey, Corey trained at Kew Acad­emy of Performing Arts in various dance styles before joining Elmhurst School for Dance, where she focused on classical ballet and con­temporary dance. In her graduate year, she performed Le Corsaire and The Sleeping Beauty pas de deux as part of an outreach pro­gram. She danced ‘The Dying Swan’ at the MEN Manchester Arena and at the Birming­ham NIA. In the annual graduate show, she performed as the soloist girl in the pas de trois from Ashton’s Les Rendezvous. After gradu­ating in July 2012 with a National Diploma in Professional Dance, Corey joined Tivoli Bal­let Theatre, Copenhagen, for Peter Bo Ben­dixen’s new production of The Nutcracker, in which she performed the role of Clara. Corey performed the role of Grete Samsa in the first revival of Pita’s The Metamorphosis in the Linbury Studio Theatre at the Royal Opera House earlier this year.

>>

Metamorphosis was not performed on the main stage of the Opera House but in the smaller Linbury Theatre which is part of the complex and is used by a number of visiting companies. It was given on its own, not as part of a mixed bill. Edward Watson was the only Royal Ballet dancer in the cast, all the rest are freelances. Nor has Arthur Pita ever worked for the Royal Ballet - he too is a freelance, a really excellent dancer, and has done some interesting choreography in the past.