This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova

tamicute

On 9/30/2017 at 9:49 AM, Fleurdelis said:

Not to worry. The Moscow style will be coming back in with the Vaganova newbies from now on, courtesy of Professor Tsiskaridze.

Tsiskaridze founded a committee to ensure the correct teaching of Vaganova's teaching. None of his recent graduates have taken on a Moscow style. 

On 12/1/2017 at 7:03 AM, mtthwbrehm said:

Tsiskaridze founded a committee to ensure the correct teaching of Vaganova's teaching. None of his recent graduates have taken on a Moscow style. 

Without a committee founded by Mr. Tsiskaridze, they had no clue at Vaganova about the "correct teaching of Vaganova's teaching", no doubt.

Must say this DQ grand pas execution is not bad at all - is this from last year's Samara gala ?  Don't have anything against Stepanova - don't know the dancer well enough, will be watching. So far I only saw her live once as Medora and reported how it looked to me. Tastes and likes are so personal, someone else could have a totally different take on that same performance.

Thank you for this video !! I had a privilege to witness some of these performances and I am deeply moved by watching them again. I feel too emotional to write something coherent, I will only say that I see around 100 performances a year, the majority from the top companies, I know their principals, soloists, the most promising young dancers, many really good ones, and I know nobody at the moment who would be more interesting, more profound, more moving, those graceful, singing lines that are so pure, those incredible hands, the ability to fill with meaning every single movement, make her for me the very essence of a Romantic ballerina, with an enormous potential to grow, I can't wait to see her in Paris, but if one does really love ballet, she is worth of traveling to Moscow, Japan, wherever you can see her performing.

7 hours ago, Quinten said:

I wish there could have been more of Le Corsaire, but the full Jardin Anime seen here is certainly a gift.

In terms of choreographic excelence, "Le jardin animé", was the high point, in terms of Stepanova's own dansing, the danse de caractère of the second tableau in the first act, and the classical variation in third, were the highest points of the whole spectacle, that was dansing of sublime quality, very rarely seen, none of them included in the video, unfortunately. Last year I saw it matched only by Ludmila Pagliero in her first "La sylphide" in July, in one word it was like seeing Marie Taglioni incarnate (that "La sylphide" for me was the spectacle of the year, by the way).

6 hours ago, Laurent said:

In terms of choreographic excelence, "Le jardin animé", was the high point, in terms of Stepanova's own dansing, the danse de caractère of the second tableau in the first act, and the classical variation in third, were the highest points of the whole spectacle, that was dansing of sublime quality, very rarely seen, none of them included in the video, unfortunately. Last year I saw it matched only by Ludmila Pagliero in her first "La sylphide" in July, in one word it was like seeing Marie Taglioni incarnate (that "La sylphide" for me was the spectacle of the year, by the way).

I did not see Pagliero's La Sylphide, so cannot comment on that, but it sounds truly magical!  However, I HAVE been fortunate to see Yulia Stepanova dance numerous times over the years -  in class, in rehearsal, live on stage, in all her roles, including those  shown in the video.  I can only agree with you.  Overall, her Medora was a stupendous ballerina performance, showing as it did, not just those wonderful arms and flow of movement, but musicality, acting skills and also the purest of unflashy technical prowess.  Few so-called "ballerinas"actually deserve that title; but If ever there was a test of a ballerina's right to be called a ballerina  - then with that Medora, Yulia Stepanova passed  with the highest honours.   The only tragedy is that we could not see her as a principal dancing these roles years ago...

1 hour ago, Mashinka said:

Would you be so kind as to give a little more information about this gala, such as where it was performed, and who else was dancing.

I don't understand your comment beneath the picture.  Did you mean petty?

Meaning he found Yulya pretty, not Denis :D

1 hour ago, Mashinka said:

Would you be so kind as to give a little more information about this gala, such as where it was performed, and who else was dancing.

A gala organized by Andris Liepa and it happened at the Kremlin. Yulia danced as well Black PDD with Jacopo Tissi. There were other stars such as Vaziev and Vinogradova, Sarafanov and Novikova, etc... you can see more videos of the Gala in that same channel and in the Ballet Opera YT channel.

Thank you, I'm touched that there has been an acknowledgement of his 80th anniversary, there has been nothing here in the UK which is pretty disgusting considering what he did for the Royal Ballet and also in view of this year also marking the 25th anniversary of his death.  It seems that the RB doesn't do anniversaries anymore.  Nothing to mark 200 years of Petipa, and quite astonishingly it looks as if the hundredth anniversary of Margot Fonteyn's birth is going to be completely ignored.