This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova

tamicute

"...Weren't there any similar interviews of Obraztsova or Zakharova about why the came to the Bolshoi?"

Yes. I recall that both were very diplomatic and didn't say anything derogatory against the Mariinsky. In Zakharova's case, she was already established Mariinsky star and explained that she wanted to grow as an artist. Vaziev was Ballet Director at the Mariinsky when she left. By the time she joined the Bolshoi, she already had a standing invitation to join from Vladimir Vasiliev when he was A.D. After 7 years at the Mariinsky she finally decided to make the move, long after Vasiliev was ousted. As the Mariinsky's Ballet Director, Vaziev gave Obraztsova her first opportunities. After Vaziev left to become La Scala's A.D. (a title Gergiev refused to give him at the Mariinsky), Fateyev became acting ballet director and he curtailed her progress. She compesnated by outsourcing her services while the Mariinsky was her home base. She guested at the Stanislavsky while Sergei Filin was A.D. there. When Filin became A.D. of the Bolshoi, he invited her to join as a Principal. Now, Vaziev is their boss again. It's déjà vu.

I think people are misunderstanding what I wrote. Maybe not. I think she was specifically asked about leaving the Mariinsky. That is why she brought it up (she didn't; she was asked). The people in question that I mentioned above are just worried she will be put in awkward situations pressed to speak about the past when she agrees to interviews, but many others are happy she is being recognized as a new star and being interviewed.

Rodkin meant that Hero of our Time starred Stepanova when she was available (joined). Smirnova did have the world premiere, but once Stepanova came on the scene Posokhov wanted her.

I am not sure if I misunderstand, Euphra, what you are saying about her not having starring roles. Do you mean no upcoming "new" roles or no big roles at the Bolshoi? I am a bit confused. If you are saying she has had no starring roles, I don't agree. At the Mariinsky she danced Odette/Odile, Myrtha, Lilac Fairy, Gamzatti, Mercedes, Street Dancer, Queen of the Dryads, Sylvia, and some other smaller roles (some of the ones I named are small roles but important ones). There are probably other things I am forgetting at the moment.

At the Bolshoi she has danced Lilac Fairy, Florine, Nikiya, Hero of our Time, Frank Bridge Variation, Myrthe and soon to add Odette/Odile and Medora on the Bolshoi London tour.

She is being groomed for stardom, in my personal view.

This strikes me as a "softball" interview, i.e. one with a friendly interviewer conducting the conversation to support the Bolshoi's goal of protecting a new "asset". Although I couldn't understand what he was saying, his speaking tone was gentle and accommodative. This same guy has been doing this a long time -- his interviews with Hallberg, Rodkin, Smirnova and others can be found on YouTube. It was a safe an interview as one could hope for. It's true that Yulia could be put in awkward situations other interviewers, but neither she nor the Bolshoi would want to make her available to potentially hostile interviewers. They are managing her image very carefully and successfully.

Yulia is a woman in her mid twenties, not a young girl, and I think she is capable of saying whatever she wishes, or does not wish to say, in an interview, regardless of the fears and hopes of various unspecified people "behind the scenes" who do not actually wish to give their names, or positions, on this forum.

Do you know why I am interested in the Bolshoi more than in Mariinsky these days? I went to St. Petersburg in January for one week, and long before the trip I bought tickets for all the ballet performances in that week, which included Giselle, two Sylvias, Le Corsaire and Don Quixote not knowing the cast. I never knew that I would get a total messed up cast for 4 out of 5 performances. Also it was so sad to watch many outstanding dancers buried in the corps or some small roles constantly. However, I get the feeling that Bolshoi is different, especially after reading recent interviews of Vaziev and seeing how the company treats Yulia and other talented ones.

I want to see Vaganova grads dancing principal roles so bad. So you are not the only one. I totally understand.

Yes, casting makes no sense many times at the Mariinsky today, in my opinion. Currently, the Bolshoi seems to be rewarding talent, whereas the Mariinsky seems to ignore it or punish it!

This strikes me as a "softball" interview, i.e. one with a friendly interviewer conducting the conversation to support the Bolshoi's goal of protecting a new "asset". Although I couldn't understand what he was saying, his speaking tone was gentle and accommodative. This same guy has been doing this a long time -- his interviews with Hallberg, Rodkin, Smirnova and others can be found on YouTube. It was a safe an interview as one could hope for. It's true that Yulia could be put in awkward situations other interviewers, but neither she nor the Bolshoi would want to make her available to potentially hostile interviewers. They are managing her image very carefully and successfully.

I think what is going on is that people worry about Stepanova that's all. She has been diplomatic on that program and probably has to be....like one poster mentioned, and it is probably her nature to not badmouth a previous employer and not wise for anyone to really do that.

I am glad everyone seems to care about her here on this forum and I think the people who were worried were just showing caring. I think everything has been misconstrued, but the important thing is that Stepanova is back on track.

Do you know why I am interested in the Bolshoi more than in Mariinsky these days? I went to St. Petersburg in January for one week, and long before the trip I bought tickets for all the ballet performances in that week, which included Giselle, two Sylvias, Le Corsaire and Don Quixote not knowing the cast. I never knew that I would get a total messed up cast for 4 out of 5 performances. Also it was so sad to watch many outstanding dancers buried in the corps or some small roles constantly. However, I get the feeling that Bolshoi is different, especially after reading recent interviews of Vaziev and seeing how the company treats Yulia and other talented ones.

I want to see Vaganova grads dancing principal roles so bad. So you are not the only one. I totally understand.

Another wonderful news! Thank you. :)

Most of us want to see Vaganova grads dancing roles at Mariinsky and certainly it is bad that some of the best Vaganova graduates recently have gone elsewhere. However, not all have. There ARE some recent grads getting roles - Renata Shakirova has had several principal roles (whether or not these were as a result of sponsorship) - Masha, Juliet, Kitri etc, and Anastasia Lukina recently danced Florine and the title role in La Sylphide, a role which she was scheduled to dance at least on two occasions before, but had to withdraw due to injury. Also Vitaly Amelishko among the boys, has numerous principal roles now in his repertoire - Solor most recently. There ARE some recent Vaganova graduates getting roles, but I agree casting could be a lot better, and certain principals and soloists are greatly overused.

Interesting that Yulia has been given Diamonds rather than the Tall girl role in Rubies which she danced at the Mariinsky. She seems to be being cast in the same roles Smirnova gets.

Yes, I think Vaziev likes her and is grooming her to be one of the Bolshoi's stars. I don't know whether Diamonds holds way more weight among NYCB conoisseurs, but in Russia Diamonds is considered much more important than Rubies. I think it it is that way all over, but I could be wrong.

Yes, I think Vaziev likes her and is grooming her to be one of the Bolshoi's stars. I don't know whether Diamonds holds way more weight among NYCB conoisseurs, but in Russia Diamonds is considered much more important than Rubies. I think it it is that way all over, but I could be wrong.

Yes, the lead in Diamonds is the role that most shows off a ballerina in the pure, classical style - a great role for Yulia Stepanova.

It seems Yulia will have an opportunity to dance the Bolshoi version of O/O before performing it in London. She is scheduled to dance O/O with Alexander Volchkov and the Sofia Opera and Ballet on June 25th and 26th. http://www.operasofia.bg/en/news-and-events/item/3321-zvezdite-na-bolshoi-teatar-v-lebedovo-ezero-na-25-i-26-yuni

It's great that Bolshoi is giving her so much stage time in major roles. Her past O/O performances had been criticized by some for seeming hesitant and not projecting, surely a result of very little preparation time and no "dry runs" in galas or out of town. Bolshoi's approach will help consolidate the technical aspect of the roles, giving her more confidence and the ability to concentrate more on the characters she is playing, interaction with other dancers and projection to the audience.

Bolshoi must indeed believe that Yulia has great potential, to go to these lengths to support her.

Interesting that Yulia has been given Diamonds rather than the Tall girl role in Rubies which she danced at the Mariinsky. She seems to be being cast in the same roles Smirnova gets.

I suspect Olga is not always available to Bolshoi due to all the other galas, projects and other companies she's involved in. Same with Obraztsova. Bolshoi needs another beautiful classical grand ballerina to fill those roles when the others are unavailable. Who better than Yulia?

I suspect Olga is not always available to Bolshoi due to all the other galas, projects and other companies she's involved in. Same with Obraztsova. Bolshoi needs another beautiful classical grand ballerina to fill those roles when the others are unavailable. Who better than Yuliadance the leading role in Diamonds -

Both Smirnova and Krysanova are also cast as Diamonds in this mini run of Jewels. Obraztsova is pregnant so not available to dance in Diamonds at the moment, and Zakharova has not danced the role for several years. That left only Smirnova and Krysanova who have Diamonds in their repertoire regularly. I agree - who better than Yulia Stepanova to dance this role?!

Although I think it is Yulia's talent that makes it possible for her to get all these great roles in her first year at the Bolshoi, the timing is really good too. It looks like Zakharova, Obraztsova, Shipulina and Vinogradova are on maternity leave or dancing elsewhere for other dance projects. I hope she gets promoted in the next season.

My next wish is that they broadcast her performance for or release DVDs! Hope it doesn't take too long to become a reality. :)

Does Smirnova dance Giselle? I remember reading in a brief interview years ago that Giselle was the role Stepanova most wished to dance. I agree she is in the grand ballerina mould but so is Lopatkina and her Giselle is wonderful. I'd love to see Yulia essay that role one day.

Does Smirnova dance Giselle? I remember reading in a brief interview years ago that Giselle was the role Stepanova most wished to dance. I agree she is in the grand ballerina mould but so is Lopatkina and her Giselle is wonderful. I'd love to see Yulia essay that role one day.

No, Smirnova does not dance Giselle - Myrtha only. I agree Yulia would be a wonderful Giselle!

It's not unheard of for Bolshoi ballerinas to dance both Giselle and Myrta. According to the Bolshoi website, Alexandrova, Antonicheva and Shipulina have danced both but I don't know what it is about these three that would make them versatile enough to do both.

Yulia's Myrtha is what Myrthas should be like. She's cold and sharp yet her dance shows the lyrical and romantic style, but I think she can show all she's got for Giselle. It's such an iconic role in ballet and she can act like no other as well as dance in a unique way. We don't want her to be struck as Myrtha.

This is all great news. I'm happy that Stepanova's career is really taking off. May she be featured in one of the Bolshoi cinemacasts this coming season. That wasn't the case at the Mariinsky, where she appeared as 3rd Shade in Bayadere just before her departure a couple of years ago ( the DVD that stars Terioshkina).

This is all great news. I'm happy that Stepanova's career is really taking off. May she be featured in one of the Bolshoi cinemacasts this coming season. That wasn't the case at the Mariinsky, where she appeared as 3rd Shade in Bayadere just before her departure a couple of years ago ( the DVD that stars Terioshkina).

It is great news indeed that her career is finally going so well.

Are you saying that Yulia was filmed in the Tereshkina performance but cut in the DVD? Or was she just not cast when obviously she should have been?

In case you missed it, Yulia has already appeared on the Bolshoi cinemacast of Don Quixote in the second bridesmaid variation! With Sleeping Beauty, Russian Seasons, and Frank Bridge Variations in the lineup for the 2016-17 season there's a good chance we will be seeing her since she has already danced leading parts in those ballets this season.

She was cast as the 3rd shade as Natalia said, but I believe that Mariinsky performance was piped into some European movie theaters and has yet to be released on DVD at least in the U.S. Who knows if it ever will be. Maybe it is available in Europe.

I was at the performance in summer 2014 so Yulia Stepanova was definitely cast. Huge cameras were stationed throughout the Mariinsky Theatre, and one was in my box. They apparently knew ahead of time and sold less seats and removed many of the seats normally in the box.

But she is dancing better than ever at the Bolshoi. Her recent Lilac Fairy was a thing of great beauty!

As far as I know, La Bayadere 2014, where Tereshkina/Shklyarov danced the lead roles and Yulia danced the 3rd shade, was released as DVD only in Japan. One of my acquaintances was at Mariinsky tour in Tokyo last year and bought one there, and I saw it in Amazon too.

Yulia's lilac fairy at the Bolshoi was really beautiful. I'm very curious about her Florine debut but couldn't find...

It seems Yulia will have an opportunity to dance the Bolshoi version of O/O before performing it in London. She is scheduled to dance O/O with Alexander Volchkov and the Sofia Opera and Ballet on June 25th and 26th. http://www.operasofia.bg/en/news-and-events/item/3321-zvezdite-na-bolshoi-teatar-v-lebedovo-ezero-na-25-i-26-yuni

It's great that Bolshoi is giving her so much stage time in major roles. Her past O/O performances had been criticized by some for seeming hesitant and not projecting, surely a result of very little preparation time and no "dry runs" in galas or out of town. Bolshoi's approach will help consolidate the technical aspect of the roles, giving her more confidence and the ability to concentrate more on the characters she is playing, interaction with other dancers and projection to the audience.

Bolshoi must indeed believe that Yulia has great potential, to go to these lengths to support her.

I forgot to reply to this...

In my opinion, those reviews were all by British critics and audiences who had been brainwashed by Fateyev's press conference before opening night where he called Yulia a relative inexperienced beginner, implying she is very unsure of herself with no confidence.

I saw her 2nd Swan Lake in person at the Mariinsky and she did not dance like a beginner. I thought she was very moving and even made the final act dramatic which few ballerinas seem to do.

Like you, I like how the Bolshoi is encouraging her and not tearing her down. It will bring a great ballerina to everyone's attention!

As far as I know, La Bayadere 2014, where Tereshkina/Shklyarov danced the lead roles and Yulia danced the 3rd shade, was released as DVD only in Japan. One of my acquaintances was at Mariinsky tour in Tokyo last year and bought one there, and I saw it in Amazon too.

Yulia's lilac fairy at the Bolshoi was really beautiful. I'm very curious about her Florine debut but couldn't find...

I haven't seen the Bolshoi Lilac Fairy footage but would love to. Do you have a link?

I'm hoping very much that Yulia will debut as Giselle early next season.

I forgot to reply to this...

In my opinion, those reviews were all by British critics and audiences who had been brainwashed by Fateyev's press conference before opening night where he called Yulia a relative inexperienced beginner, implying she is very unsure of herself with no confidence.

I saw her 2nd Swan Lake in person at the Mariinsky and she did not dance like a beginner. I thought she was very moving and even made the final act dramatic which few ballerinas seem to do.

Like you, I like how the Bolshoi is encouraging her and not tearing her down. It will bring a great ballerina to everyone's attention!

I do agree with you. I think it is wonderful that Vaziev is giving Yulia the roles and opportunities that were woefully lacking at the Mariinsky. The comments by the British press (and I am British myself) were quite frankly bewildering, and particularly since all the press posters displayed throughout London showed Yulia as the face of the Mariinsky in her Firebird costume. I was present at both Yulia's Odette/Odile in London (and Firebird) and her Odette/Odile debut at the Mariinsky in St Petersburg. I can confirm that she certainly was not hesitant, shy, giving the appearance of inexperience, or anything of the sort in either of those performances. She gave a beautiful performance both times, technically excellent as well as artistically superb, and she was extremely well received by the British audience. It is true, however, that many of the UK press were under the impression that she was inexperienced, because that is was Yuri Fateyev told them in a press conference, despite the fact that she had many principal and soloist performances "under her belt" already, although still only at coryphee level in the Mariinsky. I have to say that I saw many of Yulia's debuts myself on the Mariinsky stage, including Lilac Fairy, Sylvia, Gamzatti, Myrtha, Odette-Odile, and more recently her debuts at Bolshoi Theatre, as well as having seen her in class and rehearsal both at the Mariinsky and at the Bolshoi. I have never seen her look hesitant or shy onstage. She has no need to. She has a fabulous technique and extraordinary beautiful arms and flow of movement. Any natural nerves that any dancer will have certainly do NOT appear on stage, where she communicates well with both audience and other dancers on the stage and consistently dances to high technical and artistic standards.

Late to the gate here...in the middle of a big move. :)

Yes, yes & yes! Yulia was Bayadere's 3rd Shade in 2014, a commercial filming of the full ballet took place and the DVD has been available via Amazon Japan, for a while. USA also, as of a month ago...I saw it and will post link ASAP. It's a fantastic DVD of Bayadere...the first of the Mariinsky's production since the 1970s starring Komleva.

My point above was that at least Yulia was cast in that by the Mariinsky powers. Now we need the Bolshoi powers to cast her in a cinemacast this coming season.

Edited to add: The DVD of the 2014 Bayadere can be purchased directly from USA Amazon via this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Ballet-Dances-Classical-Tereshkina-PCBP-52407/dp/B015NQ5VJU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1466854251&sr=8-11&keywords=Bayadere+DVD

It's still the DVD produced in Japan but now it can be purchased in the US, you can go through the Ballet Alert portal, etc.