This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Matthew Golding, Evan McKie, Svetlana Lunkina guesting with Nat Ballet

This is exciting, welcome news! Finally Evan will be seen more often on his home turf and Sveta has a place to dance! Thanks, Karen Kain, for making up your mind about what to do with Lunkina. :D Good move, taking Matthew Golding. Canada needs to see him, too!

Exciting news! I'm looking forward to seeing National Ballet of Canada for the first time ever this year - and while I'd love to see the locals, it's a cherry on the sundae to get a glance of Lunkina or McKie.

Presumably McKie will be performing in Onegin and Lunkina in Swan Lake (among other things? fingers crossed). Are there any other ballets in the season that the two of them are known for?

Exciting news! I'm looking forward to seeing National Ballet of Canada for the first time ever this year - and while I'd love to see the locals, it's a cherry on the sundae to get a glance of Lunkina or McKie.

Presumably McKie will be performing in Onegin and Lunkina in Swan Lake (among other things? fingers crossed). Are there any other ballets in the season that the two of them are known for?

I suspect indeed that McKie will be Onegin and Lunkina Odette-Odile. I wouldn't be surprised if McKie did a Swan Lake or two as well. Are you coming to Toronto or seeing NBOC on tour?

I suspect indeed that McKie will be Onegin and Lunkina Odette-Odile. I wouldn't be surprised if McKie did a Swan Lake or two as well. Are you coming to Toronto or seeing NBOC on tour?

I'll be coming to Toronto in person. I'm not sure when yet, so I don't know what I'll be seeing.

Very interesting news. Will be quite glad to see McKie more. Did not go to the gala, so didn't see Lunkina. I remember however that Kain was quoted as saying that she didn't have a place in the company for her. So - what gives, KK?

Re Jelinek - again, confused. He left and now he's back?? I do like him, feel like Toronto audiences didn't get to see him enough due to injuries and so forth - but why did KK let him leave and then bring him back?

Re Golding - I hope I get to see him - looking forward to that!

I think that is why Lunkina is a "Principal Guest Artist". It means she's not a regular member of the company, obliged to do Nutcrackers etc and everything else that is part of the rep, and not paid a full-time salary but presumably per guest performance. She will do some of the ballets (I suspect Swan Lake), just as Evan Mckie will do (while he still remains a full-time member of the Stuttgart Ballet). I don't know what makes the difference between a Principal Guest Artist and Matthew Golding who is listed as a Principal but with an asterisk annotated as "Guest Artist". No doubt something in their contracts.

It's not that unusual to have someone back just for a specific role.

I agree with everything you've said, but it does bother me a bit (in case you hadn't noticed... innocent.gif ) that KK specifically said she didn't have a spot for Lunkina and noted that taking her on would take work away from other female principals. Granted she was likely referring to a full contract, but it just seems like a slippery kind of statement to make. Hopefully the dancing is wonderful enough to make me zip my lips.

And why on earth do you get rid of a principal dancer (JJ) only to have him back? Now of course I am making assumptions as to who made the decision to leave...

KK may have made that statement with some calculation - hoping that there would be a reaction from the donors to pony up CAN$$$ to pay for Ms Lunkina. Budgets - especially for non profits and particularly for state supported non profits - usually are set far in advance. It was possible that Ms Lunkina showed up in October "I'm here! Let me dance!" and she had no budget at the time to pay for it. But now that it is a new season, with a new budget, it is possible.

Golding is a gorgeous dancer (what jumps!) and very good partner. I'll be hoping he performs in NYC sometime in the near future.

He lived and worked in New York for several years, but Kevin McKenzie didn't do anything with Golding while he had him. Not an unfamiliar tune. The Dutch National Ballet, on the other hand, recognized his potential immediately.

It was possible that Ms Lunkina showed up in October "I'm here! Let me dance!" and she had no budget at the time to pay for it.

I know you're just making up a script for Svetlana Lunkina, but I do want to say that she would never speak like that! She is a very gracious and humble human being.

dirac has posted, on the Links forum, an interview with Lunkina in Maclean's. She discusses her reasons for taking leave of the Bolshoi and suggests that her plans for the future are up in the air.

Former Bolshoi Ballerina Joins the National Ballet of Canada

Maclean's has also republished an earnlier article ...

The Two Worlds of Svetlana Lunkina

The "Former Bolshoi Ballerina... " link is to a short CBC item. The Maclean's article was from back in February.

I think saying Lunkina has "joined" the NBOC is misleading, as my understanding is she will have a few guest appearances. Evan McKie hasn't "joined" the NBOC either; he's still a principal with the Stuttgart Ballet.