This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi @ ROH

I've never seen Smirnova, but I've read raves of her "Diamonds" especially, where she was partnered by Chudin. Krysanova's Gamzatti was the highlight of the two "La Bayadere"s I saw in Berkeley in 2009: she gave a complex, layered depiction of the character, and her dancing was gorgeous.

Chudin was Obraztsova's partner when she made her debut as Odette/Odile. Here's a clip from the Black Swan Pas de Deux that was posted to YouTube:

Smirnova is a very young ballerina who joined the Bolshoi from the Vaganova school. She was immediately given big roles and is definitely the Bolshoi 'it' girl right now. She recently danced the premier of Eugene Onegin at the Bolshoi--causing rather a dust up when the Bolshoi's "prima" Zakharova walked away from the production in protest at not being given the premier. Diana Vishneva has been quoted as saying that Smirnova combines the best of the Vaganova school AND the Bolshoi/Moscow school.

Smirnova should be particularly good in Bayadere, a principal role she has been dancing pretty much from the beginning of her career. I wish I could see her! Krysanova is also a very fine dancer. This is great cast.

(Helene just posted as I was typing...anyway, this is would have been my first choice of cast if I were in London...)

Performance of La Bayadere I'm seeing 3 August has Olga Smirnova,Ekaterina Krysanova and Senyon Chudin in lead roles. Any comments? Who is the 'in' ballerina of the moment in the Bolshoi?

Although Smirnova and Chudin are more shining stars, I will say I love to see Krysanova's dancing more, at least for now. So far I have seen their dancing on YouTube only. From the ballet clips I have watched, Krysanova dances every role, classical and modern, in D.Q., in Cinque, ..., with passion and inspiration. I have heard that her performances as Odile/Odette are very exciting. Unfortunately, I cannot make my London trip until the middle of August, so I am not able to see her dancing in Swan Lake. However, Bolshoi is going to N.Y. next summer, I will try my best to make it!

BTW, I booked the tickets for two nights of Jewels and two nights of The Flames of Paris. Seeing Bolshoi Ballet, this is my dream since I was 10 years old. ... Finally, finally!

yahoo.gif

Yudi, good choices! Looking at the London line-up, I think Flames of Paris is the most exciting ballet to get tickets for. It's a ballet that you can't see performed by another company, and it's both fun and thought-provoking.

As for Bayadere with Krysanova, Smirnova, and Chudin - sounds like an excellent cast to me. Krysanova's especially good at Petipa roles.

Yudi, good choices! Looking at the London line-up, I think Flames of Paris is the most exciting ballet to get tickets for. It's a ballet that you can't see performed by another company, and it's both fun and thought-provoking.

As for Bayadere with Krysanova, Smirnova, and Chudin - sounds like an excellent cast to me. Krysanova's especially good at Petipa roles.

When I booked the tickets, the casting for Flames of Paris on August 17 night is packed with principles and soloists.

Saturday 17 August 2013, 7.30pm | Main Stage
Alexandrova, Merkuriev, Lantratov, Gudanov, Kaptsova, Krysanova, Ovcharenko, Zibrova, Biktimirov, Skvortsov, Tubalova, Petukhov, Ermakova, Stashkevich, Lunkina, Vlashinets, Zharkova, Grebenschikova, Marchenkova, Vinogradova, Okuneva, Parienko, Litvinova, Leonova, Tikhomirova, Golovin, Annadurdyev, Baranov, Abdullin, Antropova, Karasyova, Vodopetov, Savichev, Tsvirko, Matrakhov, Surov, Fadeyechev, Loparevich, Ostrovsky, Vinokur, ...
Now Merkuriev, Gudanov, Kaptsova, Krysanova + Alexandrova are out. Few days ago, the announced casting was

"Flames of Paris"

August 16, 19:30

August 17, 14.00 and 19.30

Joan - Natalia Osipova (August 16), Catherine Shipulina (August 17 / morning), Maria Alexandrova (August 17 / pm)

Philip - Ivan Vasiliev (August 16), V. Kazakov (August 17 / morning), Vladislav Lantratov (August 17 / pm)

Adelina - Anastasia Stashkevich (August 16), Anna Rebetskaya (August 17 / morning and evening)

Jerome - Andrew Merkuriev (August 16), Denis Savin (August 17 / morning and evening)

Mireille de Poitiers - Christina Kretova (August 16, August 17 / evening), Anna Tikhomirov (August 17 / morning)

Antoine Mistral - Artem Ovcharenko (August 16), Dennis Rodkin (August 17 / morning), Ruslan Skvortsov (August 17 / pm)
Some dancers would dance for both 2:00pm & 7:30pm shows. However, It is hard to imagine that there is a super-ballerina(!) who could dance as Jeanne for both shows. Who would replace Alexandrova? innocent.gif
[ I am not complaining, but taking a historical note here. tiphat.gif ]

Smirnova, Krysanova and Chudin in La Bayadere (3/8/13) were as good as correspondents intimated and received 5* review in the Telegraph. If she hasn’t done already it can’t be long before Smirnova moves from First Soloist to Principal.

It’s still difficult to better the Bolshoi’s Don Q. 3 years ago when the principal ballerina was injured and Kitri had to be taken by a certain rising star – Osipova! – accompanied by Vasiliev. I have never witnessed a standing ovation at the ROH (although I’m sure there have been some) but this performance warranted one which lasted for some 15 minutes – and this at a matinee.