This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SCFTA Dance Season 13-14

What a load of total crud.....

Diana Vishneva: On The Edge
World Premiere Event
November 6, 7, 9 & 10, 2013
SEGERSTROM HALL

Choreographers:
Carolyn Carlson and Jean-Christophe Maillot

Diana Vishneva, internationally acclaimed and award-winning prima ballerina of the Mariinsky Theatre and American Ballet Theatre, returns to Segerstrom Center in a special world premiere event to showcase her remarkable virtuosity. The program will include all new works choreographed for her by Carolyn Carlson, director of National Centre for Contemporary Choreography in Roubaix and of the Atelier de Paris at La Cartoucherie de Vincennes in Paris and Jean-Christophe Maillot, choreographer-director of Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo. Karl Lagerfeld will design her costumes. Co-production with Ardani Artists

Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev
January 24–26, 2014

SEGERSTROM HALL

Choreographers:
Marcelo Gomes – World Premiere
Maurius Petipa – from final scene of La Bayadère
Roland Petit - Le Jeune Homme et la mort Natalia Ospiova, prima ballerina of American Ballet Theatre and the Royal Ballet (ermm.gif ...what?), and Ivan Vasiliev, a principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre (what about the Mikhailovsky???), are without peers as today's greatest dance couple. They perform throughout the world to sold-out houses and standing ovations, including many performances at Segerstrom Center. During their return to the Center, they will perform The Kingdom of the Shades scene from Petipa's La Bayadère, Petit's Le Jeune Homme et la mort as well as a world premiere by Marcelo Gomes, principal dancer with American Ballet Theater. Gomes, who is expanding his additional career as choreographer, also created a work for Kings of the Dance in 2011 featuring Ivan Vasiliev.

Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo – American Premiere
Jean-Christophe Maillot, choreographer-director
Under the Presidency of H.R.H. the Princess of Hanover

February 27–March 2, 2014
SEGERSTROM HALL

Swan Lake – American Premiere of Jean-Christophe Maillot's new production
Choreography by Jean-Christophe Maillot

Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo, one of Europe's most exciting ballets companies, returns to the Center with the American premiere of Jean-Christophe Maillot's interpretation of the classic Swan Lake. Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo was greeted with standing ovations during its Center debut in 2011 performing Maillot's Cinderella.

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Robert Battle, Artistic Director
Masazumi Chaya, Associate Artistic Director
Repertory Highlights including Revelations

March 27–30, 2014
SEGERSTROM HALL

The Miami Herald wrote that the company's new artistic director, Robert Battle, "represents a new generation, not just at Ailey, but in modern dance." The dancers of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater are electrifying – "the most gorgeous dancing you ever did see," as New York Magazine wrote. The company is a Center favorite, and will bring programs filled with repertory favorites and new works created for the company by many of today's most talented choreographers. Not only America's cultural ambassador to the world, but, as The New York Times wrote of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, "possibly the most successful modern dance company on the planet."

http://www.scfta.org...aspx?NavID=1054

Really shocking! That theater has hosted so many great companies in the last decade (San Francisco, ABT, Mariinsky, Bolshoi...). I don't think the LA series at Dorothy Chandler has been announced yet, but perhaps they decided they couldn't compete. Or perhaps their previously reported fund-raising problems are catching up with them and they couldn't get the underwriting they needed for major companies.

Didn't some of the Vishneva solo programs at City Center last year get cancelled to avoid embarrassment? If they can't sell tickets to New Yorkers, it's hard to see how they'll do it in Orange county in a bigger theater!

Those are all my thoughts, California. What's more interesting is it should be ABT's year at SCFTA, since they are at Dorothy Chandler this year in July, and they aren't on the list (for a few years they obviously had some sort of joint custody agreement between the 2 theaters). ABT has performed regularly at the Center since it opened. The past few Ardani "productions" haven't fared that well at the Center, though the Osipova/Vasiliev evening at least has some recognizable programming to help it along.

The huge Russian community in LA might help with ticket sales for Osipova/Vasiliev. They were very prominent for their Don Q performance with the Bolshoi in spring 2010, although not so much for the other principals.

I hope Vishneva doesn't drag Marcelo Gomes with her for her gig in November -- which is scheduled during the ABT fall season at Lincoln Center this November. I'd rather see him with ABT!

For many years ABT used to tour So. Ca. twice a year, one in LA and one at SCFTA. It's a shame that So. Ca. is such a big market and they can't bring ABT at least twice a year. Has ABT toured Ratmansky's Nutcracker in So. Ca. yet? And NYCB hasn't toured So. Ca. for quite some time. What ever happened to Kodak Theater as a performance venue? I remember ABT performed La Bayadere there during its inaugural season.

No, we haven't seen Ratmansky's Nutcracker yet--I was thinking this year would be the year. SCFTA doesn't even run a Nutcracker anymore during the holidays (which--if they are hurting for money-is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard).

The Kodak theatre is the Dolby theater now and has hosted a Cirque du Soleil show there in residence for the last few years. Not sure what they are doing now that they are out of there.

Dance events are always sold out at the Dorothy Chandler (or at least well filled), though they usually only invite companies for 4 days (Thurs-Sun) vs. the usual Tues-Sun. I think perhaps the rise in gas prices over the last few years has badly affected LA residents who used to drive down to SCFTA for dance subscriptions, though from my experience the Dorothy Chandler is MUCH more expensive ticket-wise and parking-wise.

Has ABT toured Ratmansky's Nutcracker in So. Ca. yet? And NYCB hasn't toured So. Ca. for quite some time.

I'm not aware of ABT touring the Ratmansky Nutcracker anywhere. But with an even shorter season this year at BAM, I wonder if they are looking at possibilities for 2014. Most major cities already have a big Nutcracker by the local company (San Francisco, New York, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Denver, etc.), but LA doesn't and could use one. The LA Ballet has a small production with just a few performances that doesn't address the potential.

Other than the Kennedy Center visit, it doesn't appear NYCB tours to any North American cities any more. They have been touring to smaller cities with the small non-union subgroup they call "Moves," but that's it. Perhaps they had trouble finding the subsidies they needed in other cities and NYCB appears to have been running a deficit in recent years at home.

Didn't they take Ratmansky's Nut to DC this year? That's why I assumed it would start to tour a bit more after seeing how the one out-of-town visit went.

You're right, but that was in 2011.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=bmbsc

In 2012, they had Ballet West's Nutcracker and for 2013 they will have the Joffrey's. I haven't seen any other touring announcements for the ABT Nutcracker - has anyone else? As Nutcracker is such a huge make-or-break money maker for companies around the country, I assume they don't want to try to compete with that. The big exception would be southern California, as noted.

January 24–26, 2014

SEGERSTROM HALL

Choreographers:

Roland Petit - Le Jeune Homme et la mort Natalia Ospiova, prima ballerina of American Ballet Theatre and the Royal Ballet (ermm.gif ...what?), and

Aha! They let the cat out of the bag and we didn't realize it. They spilled the beans regarding Osipova's contract with RB before the they made it public!

Ivan Vasiliev, a principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre (what about the Mikhailovsky???), are without peers as today's greatest dance couple. They perform throughout the world to sold-out houses and standing ovations, including many performances at Segerstrom Center. During their return to the Center, they will perform The Kingdom of the Shades scene from Petipa's La Bayadère, Petit's Le Jeune Homme et la mort as well as a world premiere by Marcelo Gomes, principal dancer with American Ballet Theater. Gomes, who is expanding his additional career as choreographer, also created a work for Kings of the Dance in 2011 featuring Ivan Vasiliev.

So may be another shoe is going to drop with Vasiliev & Mikhailovsky!!!???ohmy.pngjawdrop.gif

Regarding the final scene of Bayadere, it could be the Kingdom of the Shades or the Temple Destruction, it depends on productions, they need to be more specific. If they knew of O/RB contract in advance they should know which version of the final scene they are going to perform.

Yes, mussel, as soon as I saw the RB announcement I thought back to this! Whoops on their part.

I assume something is up with the Mik since Osipova's listing doesn't include them. They are obviously biding their time on that contract.

A much needed addition to the 13/14 season:

The Hamburg Ballett
February 7–9, 2014

SEGERSTROM HALL

Program:
Liliom (American Premiere)
Choreography, staging and design by John Neumeier
Music by Michel Legrand Liliom was commissioned by The Hamburg Ballett and the Hamburg State Opera. Following the 2011 world premiere, the creators of the ballet's two leading roles, Carsten Jung (The Hamburg Ballett) in the title role and Alina Cojocaru (The Royal Ballet) as Julie were honored with the prestigious Prix Benois de la Danse for their respective performances. Legrand received the Prix Benois de la Danse for his composition. Neumeier, the company's director and chief choreographer, based his work on Ferenc Molnár's play of the same name, which was also the inspiration for Rogers and Hammerstein's Broadway classic, Carousel. The music for the ballet is an award-winning original score by the Academy Award®-winning composer Michel Legrand.

A much needed addition to the 13/14 season:

The Hamburg Ballett

February 7–9, 2014

SEGERSTROM HALL

Program:

Liliom (American Premiere)

Choreography, staging and design by John Neumeier

Music by Michel Legrand Liliom was commissioned by The Hamburg Ballett and the Hamburg State Opera. Following the 2011 world premiere, the creators of the ballet's two leading roles, Carsten Jung (The Hamburg Ballett) in the title role and Alina Cojocaru (The Royal Ballet) as Julie were honored with the prestigious Prix Benois de la Danse for their respective performances. Legrand received the Prix Benois de la Danse for his composition. Neumeier, the company's director and chief choreographer, based his work on Ferenc Molnár's play of the same name, which was also the inspiration for Rogers and Hammerstein's Broadway classic, Carousel. The music for the ballet is an award-winning original score by the Academy Award®-winning composer Michel Legrand.

Now THAT I would want to see - and it thoughtfully occurs between two SFB programs, so no interference there.

January 24–26, 2014

SEGERSTROM HALL

Choreographers:

Roland Petit - Le Jeune Homme et la mort Natalia Ospiova, prima ballerina of American Ballet Theatre and the Royal Ballet (ermm.gif ...what?), and Ivan Vasiliev, a principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre (what about the Mikhailovsky???), are without peers as today's greatest dance couple. They perform throughout the world to sold-out houses and standing ovations, including many performances at Segerstrom Center. During their return to the Center, they will perform The Kingdom of the Shades scene from Petipa's La Bayadère, Petit's Le Jeune Homme et la mort as well as a world premiere by Marcelo Gomes, principal dancer with American Ballet Theater. Gomes, who is expanding his additional career as choreographer, also created a work for Kings of the Dance in 2011 featuring Ivan Vasiliev.

O/V now move to 7/25-7/27/14, and Marcelo's world premier is gone : http://www.scfta.org/home/Events/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1476&NavID=86

Since the new dates coincide with tail end of Bolshoi NY tour, so the chance is getting slimmer they're going to dance with Bolshoi Met season.

Does anyone else think it's odd that tickets are not on sale for the purported joint appearance of Osipova and Vasiliev scheduled for July 25-27.

Ironically, the Royal Ballet is performing in Moscow in July 2014, although I haven't seen exact dates. If she cancels Segerstrom due to injury, it will be interesting to see where she turns up next. You have to think she'd love to return triumphantly to the home of the Bolshoi Ballet. And it would be fun if Vasiliev turned up in New York in July to perform with the Bolshoi.

Does anyone else think it's odd that tickets are not on sale for the purported joint appearance of Osipova and Vasiliev scheduled for July 25-27.

Not really; they don't usually start selling until 60 days-ish before the performance at SCFTA. Even for hotly anticipated ones, like the tour of Book of Mormon aside from subscriber rights to buy ahead of time and early promo deals. That's not to say that I don't have my doubts about this whole thing actually going through, but that is standard SCFTA policy.

Looks like the Osipova-Vasiliev engagement at Segerstrom is definitely on. It was just announced that the Ballet San Jose will provide back-up for Carmen:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/Ballet-San-Jose-Announces-International-Tour-of-CARMEN-with-Natalia-Osipova-and-Ivan-Vasiliev-725-89-20140505#

This also means, of course, that Vasiliev won't be showing up for Spartacus with the Bolshoi in July at Lincoln Center.