This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Boston Ballet's 2013-2014 season

Pretty exciting season. I'm happy the Night with the Stars is back. BB didn't have it last year. I don't mind Elo - his work is busy and pointless but at least there is great dancing. But I wish Nissinen would get over his fascination with Kylián. This season we had an all-Kylián program. Don't mean to offend anybody who is a fan, but I'd rather clean a dirty bathroom than watch that. But Jewels and Ashton's Cinderella, plus a decent version of Bayadere...not bad.

What do other Boston Ballet goers think?

Indeed, Dale.....a little Kylian goes a loooooooooooooooooooooong way doesn't it? lol. Bella Figura is an 'in' ballet right now--several big companies have done it recently.

BB has only done the complete Jewels once or perhaps twice, I believe?

The Ashton Cinderella has only one large flaw to my mind--Cinderella's solos are rather 'tepidly Fonteynish' to quote A. Croce. I'd much prefer Cinderella to match the Prince in virtuosity.

Just returned from Boston's All Kylian program, and I am happy to report that I don't think Kylian is going anywhere. It was a thought-provoking program, and outside of NDT and Norwegian National, I can't think of a company more capable of dancing his work. Interestingly, some may not prefer to watch Kylian, but the dancers adore dancing his pieces. In talking with many of them, the resounding theme was that dancing the All Kylian program was the most challenged and inspired they have ever been. Other than the upcoming performance of Symphony in C, Serenade and Chroma later in the spring, most can't wait to skip to La Bayadere next season. (They have to get through Sleeping Beauty and Balanchine's Coppelia first.)

The first cast couples in Symphony will all be good. I believe that those couples will Arrais/Kuranaga, Kozashvili/L.Cirio, Breen-Combes/J.Cirio, and I am not sure who will be the last couple. I think that all of them are in Chroma, probably just re-arranged as couples. These are all principal dancers, and probably the most active in the company. Kuranaga did a year at SAB, and the Cirios are from CPYB (along with Breen-Combes, who did a year there), so they are often used in Balanchine's work.

Standouts in the Kylian program were up and coming demi-soloist, Bradley Schlagheck, and corps member, Paul Craig (just back from an injury). Also back from maternity leave is soloist Rie Ichikawa, who always delivers. Corps member, Emily Mistretta, was also featured and did well in the Kylian program. I am not sure where she lands in the Balanchine/Chroma program. One of my other favorites is Altan Dugaraa, especially in contemporary work. There are a few newer members of the company who are being pushed forward, and it remains to be seen if they have what it takes to deliver across the board - in classical, neo-classical and then the contemporary work required at Boston.

Yes, Dale. Excited for the tour. Will be going to London to see them. Not sure about the Polyphonia choice. Although they dance it well, it is already done enough there. As for the choice of Bella Figura, I would choose one of the other Kylian pieces that they just did. Nonetheless, hoping for a successful tour.