Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Where to stay when attending SFB performances


Recommended Posts

Thank you @pherank - I know nothing about SF and what there is to see, so your mention of art museums has piqued my interest. The hop on hop off bus sounds like exactly what I want.

I won't be using Uber or Lyft - strictly feet, bus, and possibly cable car for my budget (after all it's not cheap to fly from Australia 😂).

The Inn at the Opera sounds great from the convenience point, but again, cost comes in to it - for the time I will be there it's showing as over $900 US for three nights, which is over $1,300 Australian. When I go to Sydney for ballet, I always stay 4-5 star and never pay over $200/night Australian, so those prices look really expensive to me. In case anyone's wondering, I'm far too old to spend 14 hours in economy across the Pacific so have splashed out on business class for the 14-hour flight.

Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Thank you @pherank - I know nothing about SF and what there is to see, so your mention of art museums has piqued my interest. The hop on hop off bus sounds like exactly what I want.

I won't be using Uber or Lyft - strictly feet, bus, and possibly cable car for my budget (after all it's not cheap to fly from Australia 😂).

The Inn at the Opera sounds great from the convenience point, but again, cost comes in to it - for the time I will be there it's showing as over $900 US for three nights, which is over $1,300 Australian. When I go to Sydney for ballet, I always stay 4-5 star and never pay over $200/night Australian, so those prices look really expensive to me. In case anyone's wondering, I'm far too old to spend 14 hours in economy across the Pacific so have splashed out on business class for the 14-hour flight.

 

The lower cost rooms at the Inn at the Opera are normally around $185.00 a night (but it does depend on the time of year and events going on). SF is an expensive city for housing and hotels. That's just the way thing are. The Inn at the Opera is lower cost than many good hotels so that's why I stay there - in addition to its very convenient location. Websites like Orbitz and Booking.com often have deals on various hotels so I would recommend checking there if you haven't already.

Edited by pherank
Link to comment

Here's my "Big 6" SF museum list:

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
The de Young Museum (in Golden Gate Park)
California Academy of Sciences (across for the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park)
The Legion of Honor (only way to get there will be by taxi or Uber/Lift)
The Exploratorium
Asian Art Museum (reasonably walkable from the Symphony and Opera House area of town)

You'll just have to see what kinds of shows/events are planned for April at those museums. Here's the general list of museums: https://museumhack.com/museums-in-san-francisco/

Edited by pherank
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Thanks again @pherank, I'll check out the websites and choose something that appeals.

I do love ballet communities: so kind and helpful!

No problem, Sophoife.
FYI: On the Orbitz website I did a search for the weekend of April 21 - 23, and they listed Inn At The Opera for $155 a night ($357 total) for that weekend. Grand Hyatt for $187 and $172 for the downtown Hilton:

https://www.orbitz.com/Hotel-Search?adults=1&d1=2023-04-21&d2=2023-04-23&destination=San Francisco (and vicinity)%2C California%2C United States of America&endDate=2023-04-23&regionId=178305&rooms=1&semdtl=&sort=RECOMMENDED&startDate=2023-04-21&theme=&useRewards=false&userIntent=

Prices are generally better for the Tuesday through Thursday part of the week. But all those listed prices can literally change in a day. Also note that hotels near the airport tend to be quite low, but unless you rent a car there's no reason to be staying near the airport - it's actually a long drive from there to SF (through very congested traffic). Generally people take one of the airport shuttle buses into the city.

Edited by pherank
Link to comment

That's so kind @pherank but the weekend of the 23rd I will be in Denver for Colorado Ballet principal Yosvani Ramos' retirement - the reason for coming to the US 🩰 - it will also be 10 years less one day since his final performance with AusBallet, the last time I saw him dance in person.

I will certainly check Orbitz though. I'm so out of touch with hotel booking sites these days!

 

Edited by Sophoife
Changed phrasing
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Sophoife said:

That's so kind @pherank but the weekend of the 23rd I will be in Denver for Colorado Ballet principal Yosvani Ramos' retirement - the reason for coming to the US 🩰 - it will also be 10 years less one day since his final performance with AusBallet, the last time I saw him dance in person.

I was just making a guess at dates to test their listing. SFB's Romeo & Juliet will run from April 21 - April 30. Juliet is one of Mathilde Froustey's favorite roles, but she's sadly stuck in France with VISA issues. She may miss this entire season. So expect to see some exciting debuts in key roles this year. The young dancers will be moving into popular roles as the old guard fades away...

Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Yes, I doubt I'll see Luke Ingham as Romeo. Not to forget that probably Miss Rojo has her own ideas on casting.

Ingham has been a fantastic Tybalt in the past. But as you say, casting will be harder to predict now.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, pherank said:

Ingham has been a fantastic Tybalt in the past. But as you say, casting will be harder to predict now.

Ooh! Tybalt I can totally see him as. The last time he danced as a guest with AusBallet it was as Franz in Coppélia.

Yes, with a new AD come many new things and ways of doing things...as you probably know, David Hallberg started as AusBallet AD during the Melbourne lockdown covid times, and as the company was almost completely unable to perform for nearly two years, we didn't see many changes. They are now starting to filter through and, as always, some are more popular with audiences than others, and I do hear he does a lot of coaching and teaching which is very much liked and appreciated by the dancers.

Link to comment
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...