This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Where to stay when attending SFB performances

Wow, the pricey retaurant that in the morning is a breakfast room closed down? That's amazing given how close it was to War Memorial.

Sorry, good catch Helene - my brain got scrambled on that one - as far as I know, "Plaj" is stil there (though considering how fast restaurants go out of business...) at the Inn at the Opera. There's a complimentary breakfast service that operates out of that same space in the morning. The Chancellor has Luques restaurant now.

For what it's worth I last had a relative in town staying on Fulton and not only did we thoroughly enjoy Plaj but the waiter turned out to be a major ballet fan. I'm not sure how but there seems to be a Plaj and ballet connection of some kind. Maybe through a manager? Anyway we would definitely recommend. Hope all worked out well. 

Last year when I went to see The Little Mermaid I stayed at the new Yotel (Market & 7th), there was a good introductory rate.  There was a shuttle from the WMOH to the Civic Center BART, so I only had to walk a partial sketchy block after the performance.  The rooms are small and my mattress was upstairs in a loft.  There was a common room with a fancy coffee machine and hot water available.  But the shuttle has been discontinued (I asked the opera house staff during the gala), which is a bummer since that is how I would get to Union Square, or other places to stay.  Yotel is also really expensive now, even with the current 29% Leap Year special.

Since 2016 except for Yotel I've stayed at Inn at the Opera.  It hasn't changed much.  The Ballet room has a small fridge, microwave, and a small selection of dishes and flatware.  This year I noticed new two mug Cuisinart coffee makers in the room.  Breakfast is included in the Plaj restaurant on the main floor.  It is pretty good - a buffet including hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, deli slices of ham and cheese, fruit salad, bananas, tomatoes with cucumbers, and a selection of bagels, breads and muffins.  There is also a waffle bar, where they are made on the spot.  There is cereal and instant oatmeal, and this year I noticed the addition of soy milk at the coffee bar.

There are other small amenities, like fresh cookies at the front desk in the afternoon.  And always hot water, coffee, tea at the elevator in the lobby.  A new item is a water machine with filtered water where you can fill up a water bottle or other container for your room.  It is located by the restrooms just outside Plaj, where there is also a computer and printer.  Wifi is no extra charge, I've looked at some other hotels in the Union Square area, and they all seem to charge a "resort fee", $30 or so.

I've noticed the rates have gone up the last few years.  During the winter holidays there was a 20% off special, so if you know your dates for the season, that is a good time to book.  I went to use that special at 6pm PST and I was upset it hadexpired already (it was the last day though).  However, there was a non-refundable rate and that was actually a tiny bit cheaper.  There is also a Senior (50+) discount - 10% off.  I received good AAA rates when I first started staying there.  One issue with Inn at The Opera is that they require a two night minimum.

I finally bit the bullet and tried Hayes Valley Inn when I went to the gala this year, one can book for only one night.  Like others have said, it is very clean.  There are two toilets and one shower for each floor.  I never had to wait to use a toilet, however it was middle of January and I think they were not very full.  The shower room is tiny.  My standard double room had a sink and vanity with good light.  It was just a place to change and sleep so the room size was adequate for me.  My room was at the intersection of Gough and Hayes, so it was noisy but quieted down later at night.

There is a nice kitchen with multiple tables for guest to sit.  Afternoon tea and cookies were available when I checked in.  Breakfast is included however it is not as plentiful as Inn at the Opera.  Mostly breads, cereals and fruit.  No proteins.  Breakfast coffee was good though.  There is a large fridge where I think you can store some food.  A computer was available in that room, and no extra charge for wifi.  Irons and space heater available upon request.  The other guests were normal people and considerate.

For my February stay, the non-refundable rate at Inn at the Opera was actually cheaper than Hayes Valley Inn, so it makes sense to compare.

I have another trip planned in April, where I am only staying one night.  If anyone has suggestions besides Hayes Valley Inn, please post. 

I stay at either Hayes Valley Inn or Inn at the Opera when I go to the ballet.  There's a good variety of restaurants in the area.  The breakfast at Hayes Valley Inn for the ten-ish years I've been staying there, including twice last month, has always included thin slices of ham and American cheese slices, plain yogurt, and peanut butter.  

OK, this is interesting - I checked Inn at the Opera for some upcoming dates that I already had reserved for, and the room rates were suddenly REALLY low. Try $131 a night for the basic studio! It looks like the rooms are going fast at these low rates (naturally), but you all might find something for April at a very good price. When I originally booked a room back in January (for March/April), Inn at the Opera was asking between $200 and $300 for studios in March/April. So I rolled my eyes and looked elsewhere. What's changed? I'm wondering if the Coronavirus outbreak is causing a lot of conference cancellations in SF, and so the prices correspondingly dropped.

A number of big companies have been moving their big conferences online to avoid the person-to-person contact. Saves money too.

Edited by pherank

The coronavirus scare has caused flight and hotel prices to drop.  My friend mentioned this to me last Friday when she booked SFO only for this coming weekend.  And today the first U.S. death outside Washington state occurred in California.

I booked The Urban last night for my April trip.  $98 + tax = $114 total.  It is very similar to Hayes Valley Inn but it seems more simple in terms of decor.  The WCs and shower rooms are bigger and more modern than HVI.  I am attending an event in that neighborhood and just staying one night.

For the last weekend in March Yotel was really cheap - $129 incl tax for the cheapest room.  Outside the hotel is sketchy at night after a show though.

Pherank - I hope you can cancel and rebook at I@tO!

Josette et al - yes, the breakfast at HVI did include yogurt, ham and cheese.  I can't eat any of those items so they failed to stick in my memory.  But yes, that was there in January.  There may have been peanut butter too, I don't recall though.

29 minutes ago, seattle_dancer said:

The coronavirus scare has caused flight and hotel prices to drop.  My friend mentioned this to me last Friday when she booked SFO only for this coming weekend.  And today the first U.S. death outside Washington state occurred in California.

I booked The Urban last night for my April trip.  $98 + tax = $114 total.  It is very similar to Hayes Valley Inn but it seems more simple in terms of decor.  The WCs and shower rooms are bigger and more modern than HVI.  I am attending an event in that neighborhood and just staying one night.

For the last weekend in March Yotel was really cheap - $129 incl tax for the cheapest room.  Outside the hotel is sketchy at night after a show though.

Pherank - I hope you can cancel and rebook at I@tO!

Josette et al - yes, the breakfast at HVI did include yogurt, ham and cheese.  I can't eat any of those items so they failed to stick in my memory.  But yes, that was there in January.  There may have been peanut butter too, I don't recall though.

I did make a change for one of my reservations.  😉

Here's some prices I've seen this afternoon -

InterContinental Mark Hopkins
Standard Room, 1 King Bed: $169 (non refundable)

Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Standard Room, 1 Queen Bed: $126, Free Cancellation

Yotel
Cabin (Solo Sky): $82
Interior Sky Cabin: $96, Free cancellation

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
Superior Room, 1 Queen Bed:
$122 Non Refundable
$147 Free Cancellation

Edited by pherank

Quick update on Inn at the Opera.  My first stay in over two years.  

The restaurant Plaj, permanently closed four months ago.  There is no breakfast provided.

The room kitchenette has the same amenities although there is now a 10 cup Cuisinart coffee maker and Lavazza vacuum sealed ground coffee provided.  No creamer, sugars or stirrers anymore though.  They also give you a tall pitcher which you can take to the ground floor and fill with filtered water near the restrooms.  There is a fancy toaster with bagel, defrost and numbered toast settings.

The front door entry is now locked down.  One needs to buzz for entry.

I lucked out and found a non refundable rate two weeks before my trip.  The hotel is clean, quiet and very convenient if you have a lot of shows at WMOH.  I am happy with my stay.

4 hours ago, seattle_dancer said:

Quick update on Inn at the Opera.  My first stay in over two years.  

The restaurant Plaj, permanently closed four months ago.  There is no breakfast provided.

The room kitchenette has the same amenities although there is now a 10 cup Cuisinart coffee maker and Lavazza vacuum sealed ground coffee provided.  No creamer, sugars or stirrers anymore though.  They also give you a tall pitcher which you can take to the ground floor and fill with filtered water near the restrooms.  There is a fancy toaster with bagel, defrost and numbered toast settings.

The front door entry is now locked down.  One needs to buzz for entry.

I lucked out and found a non refundable rate two weeks before my trip.  The hotel is clean, quiet and very convenient if you have a lot of shows at WMOH.  I am happy with my stay.

The Inn at the Opera has always been my go to place if I'm in town to see the ballet/symphony. In terms of price and convenience it has been hard to beat.

I'm sorry to hear that Plaj is gone, and I assume that has something to do with the Covid quarantines killing business. Hopefully another restaurant will take that same spot and the breakfast option will return soon. And eventually the front door may re-open.  ;)

I'm still mourning the loss of the Sage Cafe (on the other side of the building). The food was decent enough and the prices relatively low. All the ballet students and dancers went there in the "old days".

4 hours ago, seattle_dancer said:

Re:  Inn at the Opera Update

I forgot to mention there is a sign that the restaurant space is available for lease.  Fingers crossed!

I never knew Sage, but around the corner on Gough, is my go-to, Dragon Eats.  It’s quick Vietnamese with banh mi, salads, bowls and rolls.  https://dragoneats.com/

There is also a new Whole Foods near the Civic Center BART station.

Yes, I know about Dragon Eats, and hopefully the bakery is still on the corner, next door. Here's a piece about the Sage Cafe closing:

https://hoodline.com/2017/12/curtain-call-the-sage-cafe-closing-after-10-years/

The bakery on Hayes at Gough? It closed many years ago. There are a few cafes along Hayes, though (like La Boulangerie). And there are lots of great restaurants in the area still. Souvla, Monsieur Benjamin, Chez Maman, Absinthe, Doppio Zero, BAIA (vegan), Project Juice... 

22 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

The bakery on Hayes at Gough? It closed many years ago. There are a few cafes along Hayes, though (like La Boulangerie). And there are lots of great restaurants in the area still. Souvla, Monsieur Benjamin, Chez Maman, Absinthe, Doppio Zero, BAIA (vegan), Project Juice... 

The corner of Gough and Fulton - it's a small place with some homemade sandwiches, and coffees too. I think the name is/was the Hayes Valley Bakeworks.

47 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Let me put in a plug for Maison Danel, which I discovered on a recent trip to SF Ballet: https://www.maisondanel.com/

Open for brunch, lunch, tea, but not dinner.

I would be curious to learn if anyone knows anything about the status of Inn at the Opera. Their website says it's unavailable for months. Is it being rented out to a company that books all the rooms? Is it closed? I phoned, got the same information, and gave up. I finally booked myself at Inn San Francisco, a charming B&B in the Mission that's close to a bus line that takes you right to the War Memorial, so I'm all set, but still curious as to what gives with Inn at the Opera.

3 hours ago, Golden Idol said:

I would be curious to learn if anyone knows anything about the status of Inn at the Opera. Their website says it's unavailable for months. Is it being rented out to a company that books all the rooms? Is it closed? I phoned, got the same information, and gave up. I finally booked myself at Inn San Francisco, a charming B&B in the Mission that's close to a bus line that takes you right to the War Memorial, so I'm all set, but still curious as to what gives with Inn at the Opera.

I'm no longer local, so I can't say for certain, but I found a room opening in October - everything other day seemed to be booked up. I wouldn't be shocked if the Inn underwent a renovation about now. That would close things down for months;.

There is still a bakery on the corner of Gough and Oak (198 Gough) that is lovely and intimate. It's called Café Loquat. Someone above mentioned Hayes Valley Bakeworks; this took its place -- or maybe not, since this is on the corner of Oak and not Fulton. They have wonderful homemade pastries, including babka. I love its Central European vibe.

A Mano is on Hayes and has excellent pasta. What I like about it is that, like Chez Maman, you can just walk in and/or wait for a table -- they don't take reservations.

A new restaurant opened up very recently: Dumpling Home, on Gough, right in the thick of things. Incredibly popular and crowded, but I take that as a good sign for its food and affordability. They don't take reservations.

Could I please request an update on clean, safe, comfortable and  reasonably priced accommodation for an Australian wanting to spend a couple of days in SF en route home from Denver?

Also what to see or do in two days, travelling on foot and by public transport, no I don't care about Fisherman's Wharf as I'm allergic!!

It will be late April 2023 and I would also appreciate any seating area recommendations for Romeo and Juliet as I couldn't possibly not go to ballet that's on where I am ☺️

Oh, I'm not sure about the "on foot" part unless you are a dedicated alpinist. :blink: I once asked a concierge whether San Francisco had developed an app to map out the flattest route from point A to point B. Better to take the bus. :)

However, the Asian Art Museum is close to the opera house and doesn't involve a steep climb.

29 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Could I please request an update on clean, safe, comfortable and  reasonably priced accommodation for an Australian wanting to spend a couple of days in SF en route home from Denver?

Also what to see or do in two days, travelling on foot and by public transport, no I don't care about Fisherman's Wharf as I'm allergic!!

It will be late April 2023 and I would also appreciate any seating area recommendations for Romeo and Juliet as I couldn't possibly not go to ballet that's on where I am ☺️

Others may have some up-to-date recommendations for hotels - the Inn at the Opera was where I mostly stayed. It's at 333 Fulton St. at Franklin St. (across for the Ballet/Opera House). It does get booked up in advance so it's best to try for a reservation now.There's various decent restaurants in the theatre district, as well as cheap cafes.

What are your interests? That will help us to advise you.
Are you planning to go to the art museums? Or would you rather walk in Golden Gate park, for example? Although the city is geographically small, the hills make it fairly exhausting to walk around. And if you're going to be using Uber/Lift to get around it can get expensive to try to cover too many different locals. So it's best to pick a couple of districts to explore. I do recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus tour just because it gives you a view of many neighborhoods and the turn around is at the Golden Gate bridge parking lot on the Sausalito side (at least it used to be), so you get a view from there: https://www.bigbustours.com/en/san-francisco/san-francisco-bus-tours

This video is actually helpful in explaining the layout of SF districts (and gives you an idea of what they look like):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWmMEZaQ5mM

Edited by pherank