This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sergei Polunin

Alexandra

44 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Looks like he has done a mass deleting of his instagram posts.

Someone certainly is--they were deleted back to early 2017 a few min ago, now they are deleted back to nov 2016.

The bio is now quite odd as well...

It is in Turkish and seems to indicate "Rich" hacked it.

Rich is also now the only person Polunin's account follows.

Edited by aurora
21 hours ago, Helene said:

The trickier issues are where there is government-required binary gender selection options..

A lifelong of medical career usually places your brain into binary gender mode. You know... working with organs, labs and such. What can I say.

Understand that this is really off topic now. My apologies.

Back to Polunin.

19 hours ago, aurora said:

Someone certainly is--they were deleted back to early 2017 a few min ago, now they are deleted back to nov 2016.

The bio is now quite odd as well...

It is in Turkish and seems to indicate "Rich" hacked it.

Rich is also now the only person Polunin's account follows.

All of his posts have been deleted now and he’s following no one, not even Rich.

Very odd.

19 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

A lifelong of medical career usually places your brain into binary gender mode. You know... working with organs, labs and such. What can I say.

Back to Polunin.

Except "organs, labs and such" are not all — or perhaps even primarily — what gender is actually about. Biological sex, yes. (And even there, there have always been cases that fall outside the binary, as @canbelto notes above.)

This is all precisely what Polunin was posting about.

I know a lot of the Instagram commenters demanded a video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwPzfTymOVc&feature=youtu.be

The interviewer was quite direct about his Instagram posts and the Putin tattoo (At one point even asks what a future girlfriend would think when she has to look at it during sex). Polunin comes out sounding rather loopy by talking about energies and other new age babble, but hey, at least we know he isn’t being held hostage by nefarious individuals. 

On 1/16/2019 at 5:22 AM, nanushka said:

It seems reasonable to think that many aspects of our identities are culturally constructed, so why should it be just one or the other?

Of course many facets of identity are culturally constructed. The IDEA of what a man or woman SHOULD be (you know, "gender") is a cultural construct, which is what I was saying (and I'm not saying you have to pick one or the other, though in functional point of fact, in many places you actually DO have to pick). I wasn't debating the fact that people can feel "in between" (to say the least); I was objecting to the idea that gender - as a construct - is somehow inherent in human existence or linked to what genitals you're born with (it's not).  The reason people feel that "people with penises should be like THIS" or "people with vaginas should be like THAT" is a CULTURAL construct. It's not inherent in biology. 

I frankly hope the London Palladium cancels his performances!

The London audience should make a very strong stance and show their disagreement with what Polunin posted on Instagram. If we just let him get away with it all it sends out the wrong message to our young people: that one can say whatever you want and hurt people along the line, that one does not have to respect others. Polunin...Trump....Putin (his heroes, as Polunin stated on his Instagram account, now deleted) They are BAD examples of intolerance and inciting hatred! 

On 1/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, cubanmiamiboy said:

Back to Polunin.

As a pathologist who holds organs in my hands everyday, I disagree with this.  A human heart is a human heart.  I can’t tell what gender someone is by inspecting their heart.   When I’m doing a gross examination of colon cancer, the colon looks identical in both men and women.   And given intersex conditions, even the reproductive track may not help me distinguish.  Binary gender is set by having hormones produced  in the correct ratio, and then strongly influenced by environment and culture.

Sorry to be off topic.  I am glad to see that Polunin’s posts have been deleted.

8 hours ago, Katia Kapustin said:

I frankly hope the London Palladium cancels his performances!

The London audience should make a very strong stance and show their disagreement with what Polunin posted on Instagram. If we just let him get away with it all it sends out the wrong message to our young people: that one can say whatever you want and hurt people along the line, that one does not have to respect others. Polunin...Trump....Putin (his heroes, as Polunin stated on his Instagram account, now deleted) They are BAD examples of intolerance and inciting hatred! 

These performances are at the end of May, unlikely the theatre will cancel as perhaps not enough time to find other bookings.  As many theatre workers are paid by the hour I'd prefer the performances went ahead and that Polunin sees a theatre of empty seats. I am not sure if Polunin's pronouncements could be described as 'hate speech' or simply freedom of speech, the former being a crime in the UK, his suggestions to his followers that they slap fat people is far more serious.  I suppose in theory he could be refused a visa, but by the time the inefficient Home Office gets to hear of this he will probably have come and gone.

On the other hand, his upcoming appearance in Munich sold out. It could be that people are more willing to see him in a tried and true show like Spartacus vs one of his vanity projects

Osipova and Hallberg’s show is also suffering similar problems in the box office in NY so maybe fans are reluctant after the last two shows with Polunin got lukewarm responses. Which is sad because Osipova was fantastic in both. It’s just the choreo was awful and Polunin really looked like he was phoning it in both times. 

20 hours ago, Deflope said:

Osipova and Hallberg’s show is also suffering similar problems in the box office in NY ...

They have some stiff competition, especially for out-of-towners who might have been tempted to make the trip. NYCB is at the Kennedy Center that week. Washington Ballet has a program of three premieres (yet to be announced), and Pennsylvania Ballet has an all-Stravinsky program (including Apollo and Stravinsky Violin Concerto).