This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In line with the tantalizing idea of a commercial, restored version of this film mentioned in the two preceding posts, there's been a tantalizing glimpse of what that might look like on

As to the corps, yes, that was NYCB, beyond stellar, right down, if that is indeed the word, through the ranks. That's one of the things that astonishes in the mid-60s films of Don Quixote and A Midsummer Night's Dream - both large cast ballets - as well: The energy and freedom, the fullness, of their dancing. It was a real company, unlike today, when NYCB's defenders ask, "Oh, but did you see [principal] so-and-so?"

As to the scherzo, I'm sorry, but both its music and its choreography seem a little weak to me, as do that of a number of other numbers Balanchine saw fit to eliminate over the years, like the Servants' Dance in Prodigal Son, recently restored by TSFB, or the Hoop Dance, the fourth divertissement, in La Sonnambula, restored by Cincinnati Ballet in 2002. (What he did to Apollo, though he had every right to do it, was awful, however.)

In line with the tantalizing idea of a commercial, restored version of this film mentioned in the two preceding posts, there's been a tantalizing glimpse of what that might look like on

um, I posted that video tomato.GIFDid they colorize it, I wonder? Anyway, it was a revelation to see Diana Adams - and Allegra Kent. I guess she was barely 19 in this film although she looks even younger.

Neryssa

um, I posted that video tomato.GIFDid they colorize it, I wonder? ...

Neryssa

Aha! I wondered whether that was a coincidence of names. Thank you for posting that clip, neryssa! (Yes, it does look colorized. But maybe it's just faded. Regardless, I didn't see a previous reference to it in this thread, and I wanted to be sure all of the lurkers - this thread has now been viewed over 1,000 times! - were aware of it.)

um, I posted that video tomato.GIFDid they colorize it, I wonder? ...

Neryssa

Aha! I wondered whether that was a coincidence of names. Thank you for posting that clip, naryssa! (Yes, it does look colorized. But maybe it's just faded. Regardless, I didn't see a previous reference to it in this thread, and I wanted to be sure all of the lurkers - this thread has now been viewed over 1,000 times! - were aware of it.)

Thank you, Jack. I wonder what clips of Le Clercq the producers of the upcoming documentary on Tanaquil Le Clercq: Afternoon of a

Faun will end up using but that is for another thread (I've not read a thing about the documentary yet. I hope they are really making one).

Anyway, I like your comments on the corps de ballet of the New York City Ballet during the 1950s. I've read more than once that they received fan mail during those wonderful days.

I wasn't aware they got fan mail! Good! The very few I met in the 70s complained, "Nobody knows who we are," although one great fan I knew then took delight in his retail-clerk job when he could hand a corps member their purchase and say, "There you are ..." and use the correct name, having learned it by studying the names in the programs for the performances he attended. (I saw enough performances that I could quickly work a dancer's name down to one of two or four, but he had them exactly worked out.)

Thank you, Jack. I wonder what clips of Le Clercq the producers of the upcoming documentary on Tanaquil Le Clercq: Afternoon of a

Faun will end up using but that is for another thread (I've not read a thing about the documentary yet. I hope they are really making one).

I posted this link in the Tanaquil Le Clercq thread (under Dancers), which gives a smidgen of info about the project:

http://derekbritt.com/?portfolio=afternoon-of-a-faun