This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info

Casting info is available on the ABT website re Lilac Fairy and Carabosse casting.

Excellent - now I wish they'd post Blue Bird pas.

I am expecting Simkin's Blue Bird. Is it too far-fetched to cast Vasiliev as BB? I've seen some old Bolshoi footages where the BB's thighs & legs were as muscular as Vasiliev's

Vasiliev as BB is not far fetched at all. In fact, the Ardani website indicates that Vasiliev will perform BB on July 1 (opening night of SB) and July 3. That info has been on the Ardani website for a few months, (No info on whether that means July 3 matinee or July 3 evening.) I'd bet Simkin does BB on July 2. Sometimes Simkin posts his schedule on his website or facebook page. I didn't look there.

Casting info is available on the ABT website re Lilac Fairy and Carabosse casting.

Excellent - now I wish they'd post Blue Bird pas.

I am expecting Simkin's Blue Bird. Is it too far-fetched to cast Vasiliev as BB? I've seen some old Bolshoi footages where the BB's thighs & legs were as muscular as Vasiliev's

I've seen Simkin's BB - the problem, as usual was partnering!

Vasiliev as BB is not far fetched at all. In fact, the Ardani website indicates that Vasiliev will perform BB on July 1 (opening night of SB) and July 3. That info has been on the Ardani website for a few months, (No info on whether that means July 3 matinee or July 3 evening.)

The Ardani web site is just a little out of date. They list him for two Swan Lakes (presumably as Aristocratic/Purple Rothbart) on June 18 & 22, but the ABT site lists him for a third, on June 20. I'm not seeing the Sleeping Beauties this year, but I think he'd be fascinating as BlueBird. And I'm glad to see him as what appears to be a "team player" in roles other than the most prominent principal roles.

http://www.ardani.com/tours-vasiliev.php

The most recent casting sheet that I saw over the weekend still lists Cojocaru for SB.

Dance magazine just sent out a tweet that Kochetkova is also replacing Cojocaru in SB:
Dance Magazine ‏@Dance_Magazine 5m

There are now 2 chances to see @balletrusse dance with @ABTBallet: she replaces Cojocaru as Cornejo's partner in Swan Lake & Sleeping Beauty

I don't see this yet on the ABT site.

Official notice of Cojocaru's withdrawal from her ABT performance:

ALINA COJOCARU TO WITHDRAW FROM JULY 3 PERFORMANCE OF

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY DUE TO INJURY

Due to injury, American Ballet Theatre Guest Artist Alina Cojocaru will withdraw from her scheduled performance as Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty on July 3, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. Guest Artist Maria Kochetkova will replace Cojocaru opposite Herman Cornejo in The Sleeping Beauty. As previously announced, Kochetkova, a principal dancer with San Francisco Ballet, will also replace Cojocaru in the role of Odette/Odile in Swan Lake on Friday, June 21.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

The release on the final two weeks of casting:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FINAL TWO WEEKS OF

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2013 SPRING SEASON

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Performances of Sylvia to include Debuts by

Veronika Part, Natalia Osipova, Polina Semionova, Herman Cornejo,

Cory Stearns, Ivan Vasiliev, Jared Matthews and James Whiteside

Performances of The Sleeping Beauty to include Debuts by

Maria Kochetkova, Hee Seo, Leann Underwood,

Daniil Simkin and Alban Lendorf

Casting for the final two weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The season’s first performance of Sir Frederick Ashton’s Sylvia will be given on Monday, June 24, led by Gillian Murphy (Sylvia), Marcelo Gomes (Aminta), Daniil Simkin (Eros) and Cory Stearns (Orion). Polina Semionova will dance the title role for the first time with ABT on Tuesday, June 25, opposite Roberto Bolle as Aminta. The matinee on Wednesday, June 26 will feature debuts by Veronika Part (Sylvia), Cory Stearns (Aminta) and James Whiteside (Orion). Jared Matthews will dance the role of the Aminta for the first time at the evening performance on June 26, opposite Paloma Herrera in the title role. On Thursday, June 27, the ballet will include debuts by Natalia Osipova (Sylvia), Herman Cornejo (Aminta) and Ivan Vasiliev (Orion). A ballet in three acts, Sylvia is set to music by Léo Delibes and features costumes and scenery after original designs by Robin and Christopher Ironside. Additional designs for the revival of Sylvia are by Peter Farmer and lighting is by Mark Jonathan. The World Premiere of the original production of Sylvia was given by The Royal Ballet on September 3, 1952 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, danced by Margot Fonteyn (Sylvia), Michael Somes (Aminta), John Hart (Orion) and Alexander Grant (Eros). The World Premiere of the revival of Sylvia by was given by The Royal Ballet on November 4, 2004 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, danced by Darcey Bussell (Sylvia), Jonathan Cope (Aminta), Thiago Soares (Orion) and Martin Harvey (Eros). Sylvia received its American Ballet

Theatre Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on June 3, 2005, danced by Gillian Murphy (Sylvia), Maxim Beloserkovsky (Aminta), Marcelo Gomes (Orion) and Herman Cornejo (Eros). The ballet was staged for ABT by Christopher Newton. Sylvia is made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency.

Paloma Herrera, Cory Stearns, Veronika Part and Martine van Hamel will lead the season’s first performance of The Sleeping Beauty on Monday, July 1. On Tuesday, July 2, Hee Seo and Leann Underwood will debut as Princess Aurora and the Lilac Fairy, respectively, and Guest Artist Vadim Muntagirov will dance the role of Prince Désiré for the first time with ABT. On Wednesday, July 3, Daniil Simkin will debut as Prince Désiré at the matinee and Guest Artist Maria Kochetkova will dance the role of Princess Aurora for the first time with ABT at the evening performance. Exchange Artist Alban Lendorf of the Royal Danish Ballet will make his ABT debut as Prince Désiré, at the matinee on Saturday, July 6, opposite Xiomara Reyes as Princess Aurora. Set to a score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, The Sleeping Beauty, choreographed after Marius Petipa, has additional choreography and staging by Kevin McKenzie, Gelsey Kirkland and Michael Chernov. The production features scenery by Tony Walton, costumes by Willa Kim with additional designs by Holly Hynes, and lighting by Richard Pilbrow and Dawn Chiang. This production of The Sleeping Beauty received its World Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House on June 1, 2007. Joan Taub Ades and Alan M. Ades, Adrienne Arsht, Arlene and Harvey Blau, Devon and Peter Briger, Susan and Leonard Feinstein, Edward A. Fox, Lori and Stephen Garofalo, Julia and David H. Koch, Konrad R. Kruger, Jill L. Leinbach, Charlotte and Macdonald Mathey, and Jean and Lawrence Shaw are Co-Underwriters of The Sleeping Beauty. Additional funding provided by the NIB Foundation. Special thanks to Caroline Newhouse. This production has been made possible with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of American Ballet Theatre. Northern Trust is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts; the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and

the New York State Legislature; and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2013 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

The Ardani web site is just a little out of date. They list him for two Swan Lakes (presumably as Aristocratic/Purple Rothbart) on June 18 & 22, but the ABT site lists him for a third, on June 20. I'm not seeing the Sleeping Beauties this year, but I think he'd be fascinating as BlueBird. And I'm glad to see him as what appears to be a "team player" in roles other than the most prominent principal roles.

http://www.ardani.com/tours-vasiliev.php

The latest casting printout at the lobby lists Vasiliev for 3 SL on June 18, 20, & 22. His Blue Bird partner will be Boylston.

And the casting changes continue ....

Gomes is replaced by Jared Matthews in the Sat matinee of Sylvia.

Stearns is replaced by Gomes in the Monday SB (w. Herrrera)

Stearns is replaced by Whiteside in the Friday SB (w. Murphy)

Jared has been having a fabulous season. He was extraordinary as Lensky in Onegin (which seems like months ago), and I hear that he was terrific in Sylvia. This is a great opportunity for him, although I don't wish anyone ill. I hope you won't be disappointed.

I thought Lane's comment about being coached by Susan Jaffe was interesting:

Sometimes you don't know if the little details really matter but she was there to call them out and it taught me to see those details. She showed me how to work in a more thoughtful way and artistically, she gave me so much and she improved a lot of things that I needed more work on. I continue to try and push myself on all those things we worked on and to remember them.

Jaffe would surely have known from experience that with the limited coaching ABT dancers get, learning to see what to work on with limited or no coaching was critical. Do (dedicated) Russian coaches approach their coachees from a "Teach them to fish" angle?

One performance of Aurora after five years? Ugh.

I thought Lane's comment about being coached by Susan Jaffe was interesting:

Sometimes you don't know if the little details really matter but she was there to call them out and it taught me to see those details. She showed me how to work in a more thoughtful way and artistically, she gave me so much and she improved a lot of things that I needed more work on. I continue to try and push myself on all those things we worked on and to remember them.

Jaffe would surely have known from experience that with the limited coaching ABT dancers get, learning to see what to work on with limited or no coaching was critical. Do (dedicated) Russian coaches approach their coachees from a "Teach them to fish" angle?

One performance of Aurora after five years? Ugh.

Ugh is right - and I saw that performance five years ago - it was lovely, youthful and joyous (btw rose adagio totally secure, one of the better ones I've seen) and something the company should have been interesting in building upon. That she was told to learn Coppelia and Romeo and Juliet, but give no performances is amazing to me. Does the AD specialize in discouraging talent?

The Metropolitan Opera Gift Shop is having an online-only sale, and the following items are in the "Ballet" category:

http://www.metoperashop.org/all-products/browse/sale/yes/orderby/new-arrivals/of11/BALLET

These are all of the sale items:

http://www.metoperashop.org/all-products/browse/sale/yes/orderby/new-arrivals

I suspect shipping and handling would eat up the savings, but there's free shipping in the continental US for orders over $99. If you're stocking up holiday/birthday gifts and/or have your eye on one of the higher-price items that have been discounted steeply, like the James Levine 40th anniversary set ($130, from $200), for example, now's the time, and Met Members get a 10% discount.

The sale starts today; I don't see an end date.

One more prediction, one production will be retired with a new version to be premiered in 2015.

Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty?

If it's one of those two I'd guess SL, as it is the older production (no matter how flawed the SB is).

SL actually is a fairly handsome production physically--Von Rothbart costumes notwithstanding.

SB is not, but both have problems with the dance text.

SL thus seems a more appealing revamp project (financially), as hopefully some of the sets/costumes could be retained.

NB: I think this maybe should be in the 2014 prediction thread not the 2013 gen info one?