This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Short Life -- New Documentary on Several PNB Dancers

According to this article in the Seattle Times, the following film will be shown as part of this year's Seattle International Film Festival (emphasis added):

"Short Life": The lives and choices of several members of Seattle's Pacific Northwest Ballet are examined in Scott Levy's documentary, which also includes rehearsal and performance footage from ballets by George Balanchine, William Forsythe and Twyla Tharp. Screenings: May 21 at 7 p.m., May 24 at 4:30 p.m., both at SIFF Cinema Uptown.

There's an issue with the film: you can see under "Screenings", there are none, where they'd usually be listed, with "buy" controls if the showing isn't sold out, and in the schedule for Monday, when the first showing originally was listed for 7pm, there is a big gap in one of the SIFF Uptown columns, between the 4:30 showing of "Eden" and the 9:30 showing of "The Student". So something's up, maybe with the print?

I saw the 1st showing on 5/21 at 7pm at the Uptown Theater -- no cancellation was announced or anything like that. BTW, the film is terrific IMHO -- much like "La Dance" except shorter, and more focused on the personal side of the dancers. The film makers did a wonderful job of showing dancers from behind the scenes -- especially during rehearsal and during performance. A few PNB dancers were in attendance. Many of us in the audience, including the PNB dancers, were struck by how many of the highlighted dancers are no longer with the company.

For me, there was a special treat. After the showing, there was a Q&A with the director and his crew. It occurred to me to ask a question regarding how remarkable I thought it was that PNB opened itself up for what could be at times a painful or at least embarrassing exposure (as an aside for this posting....HURRAY for the courage of PNB management, I say). I mentioned in my question that I had recently read Stephen Manes book covering that same 2006 season. As soon as I mentioned Manes's name, this very pleasant gentleman sitting 1 seat away from me said "That would be me!". I had randomly sat down immediately next to Stephen and his wife for the showing. I love coincidences like that! The 3 of us had quite an interesting talk in the lobby afterward. I loved Manes's book, and it was a real thrill for me to meet him.

I don't seem to have any luck this week -- I missed Spectrum Dance Theater's Miraculous Mandarin because it was pulled after the initial performance, and now I missed this. I'm beginning to think I'd better be careful crossing the street...