This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

32 Fouettes

When dancers are throwing in doubles and triples during the 32 fouettes, are we supposed to count the doubles and triples that they add in, or are those supposed to be extra? I ask this b/c some do not do 32 (although I know it is mainly a term). Some do 32 if you count the extra doubles and triples. Some do way over 32 if you count the double and triple turns. Some only do about 15. It appears that in Balanchine ballets you never do 32 (or around that number).

So what is the guideline if you are in the mood to count them? Do we just count the normal ones?

Here...an entire thread dedicated to your question...

http://balletalert.i..._30#entry298287

But for a short answer...obviously there will be 32 only if the ballerina performs them as singles, as in the old days. When you see the dancer executing double, triple and even more turns, those are pirouettes interpolated in between the fouetees.

Thanks! It seems that very few actually do 32 then. Without counting the extra pirouettes I rarely count 32.

Thanks! It seems that very few actually do 32 then. Without counting the extra pirouettes I rarely count 32.

I'm not so fastidious on this. If you want to see someone do 32, watch nina ananiashvilli.

I don't really care if they do 28 or 32 or whatever number. I am still impressed with 15! LOL But I was just wondering, b/c especially on videos that I watch I count out of curiosity and I was always confused whether to count the pirouettes or not.

If someone just does 10-15 do you just say, for example, "I like her fouettes," or do you still call it 32 fouettes? Is 32 fouettes just a term to describe doing "a lot"?

I'm not so fastidious on this. If you want to see someone do 32, watch nina ananiashvilli.

I don't really care if they do 28 or 32 or whatever number. I am still impressed with 15! LOL But I was just wondering, b/c especially on videos that I watch I count out of curiosity and I was always confused whether to count the pirouettes or not.

If someone just does 10-15 do you just say, for example, "I like her fouettes," or do you still call it 32 fouettes? Is 32 fouettes just a term to describe doing "a lot"?

I should have been more clear!

I didn't mean you were being. I mean to me, if they do 32 rotations, it counts as 32 fouettes. technically probably it isn't but I am not the kind of person who cares much :)

As for Nina, the way I worded it, it sounded like I was being dismissive of her, "if you CARE about that, watch her."

In fact I think her FAST clean singles are one of the most impressive fouette displays I've ever seen. I always found them a bit more impressive IRL then on video, especially a few years ago when she was really in her prime, but she shows you can do great singles at great velocity and make them a massive feat (you dont NEED to throw in bells and whistles to make it a knockout)

i think she's fab!

I should have been more clear!

I didn't mean you were being. I mean to me, if they do 32 rotations, it counts as 32 fouettes. technically probably it isn't but I am not the kind of person who cares much smile.png

As for Nina, the way I worded it, it sounded like I was being dismissive of her, "if you CARE about that, watch her."

In fact I think her FAST clean singles are one of the most impressive fouette displays I've ever seen. I always found them a bit more impressive IRL then on video, especially a few years ago when she was really in her prime, but she shows you can do great singles at great velocity and make them a massive feat (you dont NEED to throw in bells and whistles to make it a knockout)

i think she's fab!

Okay, thanks! I didn't take any offense to anything you said. I just wanted to explain why I was counting. In a recent Miami City Ballet performance I went up to a friend and said something about the 32 fouettes, and the dancer had only done 15 or something like that (and no extras), and he said they weren't 32, and I agreed, but I told him I was using the term loosely, since I don't know what to call that "thing" if it is just 15 fouettes. I personally use the term "32 fouettes" to describe twirling like that a bunch of times regardless of the number, but I guess I am just supposed to say "fouettes" and only say "32 fouettes" if it is more close or over 32. LOL