This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancers Leaving at the End of the 2011-12 Season

Lucien Postelwaite will be a veteran after the completion of the 2011 / 2012 season. Just posted on PNB's FB page a few minutes ago:

Today, Artistic Director Peter Boal announced that principal dancer Lucien Postlewaite will leave PNB to join Les Ballets de Monte Carlo at the end of the 2011-2012 season:

"When I first met Lucien Postlewaite he was a thirteen year old kid, who stumbled into my class some fifteen years ago. Now a true danseur noble, he’s ready to try his wings on a quest for new artistic heights. He is that rare dancer who can do it all and we applaud him for wanting to try it all. Bravo, Lucien. Seattle will miss you, but wishes you only the best.”

www.facebook.com/PNBFAN

The Seattle Times is the official bearer of sad news

From where I sit Moira Macdonald hit the nail squarely on the head with this article. She marvelously captured the dancing phenomenon that is Lucien Postlewaite. Every moment she mentioned in his career at PNB, is still, and forever, etched in my memory. There are so many roles, so many moments, but the one that sent a chill down my spine of remembered power, pathos, and sheer dramatic ability was: "to Ulysses Dove (hanging from the wall in "Serious Pleasures").

In the PNB press release with the news that Postlewaite will join Les Ballets de Monte Carlo, the company also announced that Abby Relic is leaving the company at the end of this season:

Ms. Relic participated in PNB’s Summer Course in 2004 and was subsequently invited to become a PNB School Professional Division student from 2004-2006; she joined PNB’s corps de ballet in 2008. Peter Boal remarked, “Abby has been a pleasure to work with since her days as a Professional Division student in our School. She stands out not only for her exquisitely arched feet, but also for her sunny smile and ready laugh. We will miss her presence on stage and off.” In addition to her work with PNB, Ms. Relic is actively pursuing her Pilates certification, performs with Seattle’s 127th Street Dance, and was recently featured in Pointe Magazine’s “On the Side” for her versatility as an artist passionate about both the ballet and hip hop genres.

Ms. Relic states: "Although I feel very strongly about moving on to the next phase of my life, I have experienced a great deal of personal growth through being a part of this organization and I am very grateful for all the opportunities that I have been given. Quite frankly, I am deeply moved by the fact that opportunities for my future are continuously being presented by way of numerous people involved with PNB, and I feel very blessed."

The press release also notes that both Postlewaite and Relic "will be honored at this year's Season Encore performance on Sunday, June 10."

Before Season Encore, Relic will perform with 127 St. Dance Co. in "Memoria" on May 4 and 5 at 8pm at Broadway Performance Hall.