This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Emerging Pictures Bright Stream -- Casting Up

The Bolshoi Ballet website posts casting for the 29 April performance of Bright Stream, the date of the Emerging Pictures HD broadcast:

http://www.bolshoi.r...ances/61/roles/

Main roles are:

Zina, a local amusements’ organizer: Svetlana Lunkina

Pyotr, an agricultural student: Mikhail Lobukhin

Ballerina: Maria Alexandrova

Ballet Dancer: Ruslan Skvortsov

Accordionist: Denis Savin

Old Dacha Dweller: Alexei Loparevich

Anxious-to-be-younger-than-she-is Dacha Dweller: Anastasia Vinokur

I just watched this ballet online (I guess it was the 2003 premiere), and Act 1 was so promising. Loved Ramantsky's choreography, but then Act 2 had so much silliness and slapstick and was sort of boring to me despite some great dancing. Not sure I want to go to the HD transmission at the movies now since I have to drive an hour or more. This ballet just does not transport me.

Does anyone know who was in the 2003 cast? The ballerina looks like she could be Alexandrova, but I wasn't sure.

According to the credits:

Zina: Inna Petrova

Pyotr: Yuri Klevtsov

Ballerina: Maria Alexandrova

Ballet Dancer: Sergei Filin

Accordionist: Gennady Yanin

Dacha Dweller: Andrei Melanin

Anxious to be younger than she is dacha dweller: Lyubov Fillipova

This Bolshoi version has Messerer's luxurious sets and costumes that Ratmansky opted to not 'transfer' to his later settings of the work (to Latvia and ABT). See the Bolshoi version and realize that ABT was sold the 'econo model.'

The production by the Bolshoi was nice. I felt like the ballet was so promising with beautiful sets, costumes, dancing, and at the end of Act 1 I thought, "I love this ballet I never saw before," but then after I went out for lunch I put on Act 2 and thought I was going to fall asleep the entire time. I just felt it did not live up to its promise. I also hate slapstick. I did think the male danseur did a wonderful job conveying a female dance style, but I did not find that funny at all like the audience. I guess I've seen way too many drag shows to find a man in a dress that funny. It seems almost passe nowadays.

I just watched this ballet online (I guess it was the 2003 premiere), and Act 1 was so promising. Loved Ramantsky's choreography, but then Act 2 had so much silliness and slapstick and was sort of boring to me despite some great dancing. Not sure I want to go to the HD transmission at the movies now since I have to drive an hour or more. This ballet just does not transport me.

Does anyone know who was in the 2003 cast? The ballerina looks like she could be Alexandrova, but I wasn't sure.

Hello,

The following shows are coming up this summer:

The Sleeping Beauty,The Bright Stream, La Bayadere, La Source, La Fille Mal Garde, Le Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet, and many more!

Visit our website www.balletincinema.com for more updates.

If you want to tell us your zip code, we are happy to help you find the nearest theatres to you.