This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Updates from Finland

I'm the mom of a dancer at the Finnish National Ballet and would be happy to post coming events or other items that might be of interest for those who follow Greve, the company, or find themselves in Helsinki.

The website is slow to translate to English and Finnish is incredibly difficult. Kenneth Greve is the AD and he seems to be working very hard to bring diverse, young talent to the company and nurture young Finnish talent as well. They have had an exciting year and a nice repertoire with classics, new ballets and contemporary work as well. The season started with Kenneth Greve's Scheherazade and Kathy Marston's Blood Wedding. My daughter really enjoyed performing in Patrice Bart's Don Quixote.

It's the 90th anniversary of the company and they just had a very successful gala. Last night was opening night of Marc Ribaud's Coppelia and my daughter reported that she didn't know that Finnish audiences could be so effusive in their enjoyment. They had multiple curtain calls and even the corps had curtain calls! They are learning Makarova's Bayadere right now and the season ends with a triple bill of Finnish contemporary choreographers: Elo, Saarinen, and Rankanen.

I'm the mom of a dancer at the Finnish National Ballet and would be happy to post coming events or other items that might be of interest for those who follow Greve, the company, or find themselves in Helsinki.

The website is slow to translate to English and Finnish is incredibly difficult. Kenneth Greve is the AD and he seems to be working very hard to bring diverse, young talent to the company and nurture young Finnish talent as well. They have had an exciting year and a nice repertoire with classics, new ballets and contemporary work as well. The season started with Kenneth Greve's Scheherazade and Kathy Marston's Blood Wedding. My daughter really enjoyed performing in Patrice Bart's Don Quixote.

It's the 90th anniversary of the company and they just had a very successful gala. Last night was opening night of Marc Ribaud's Coppelia and my daughter reported that she didn't know that Finnish audiences could be so effusive in their enjoyment. They had multiple curtain calls and even the corps had curtain calls! They are learning Makarova's Bayadere right now and the season ends with a triple bill of Finnish contemporary choreographers: Elo, Saarinen, and Rankanen.

Hi!

A couple of years ago I visited Helsinki, and the company was performing Cranko's "The Timing of the Shrew". Sadly I was unable to go, but I did go to a more contemporary performance at the lovely Alexandrinsky theater, which I enjoyed a lot..! I can't remember right now the name of the ballerina, but for what I remember she is well known over there. Tall beautiful blonde woman she is. I think i did review the performance, so I will try to locate the post.

Welcome to BT..! tiphat.gifflowers.gif