Helene

PNB Dancers Performing Elsewhere

Posted (edited)

Opening night of the debut performances of Seattle Dance Collective (SDC) is Friday, July 12th at the Vashon Center of the Arts, on Vashon Island, a short ferry ride from Seattle.  Noelani Pantastico and James Yoichi Moore, both principal dancers at PNB, are the founding artistic directors.  Moore mentioned in his post-performance discussion this past season, they have been working hard to curate an eclectic program to be presented this summer.  They have carefully selected some pieces which are close to their hearts, some pieces that eluded them, and a choreographer with whom they have not had the chance to work.  Op

There are 8 PNB dancers and 2 Whim W'him dancers.  For more information on the troupe, ticket purchasing, transportation, everything really see:  https://www.seattledancecollective.org/  Take a look at the program.  Choreographers such as David Dawson, Bruno Roque (Pantatisco's husband), Ivonice Satice (Shogun, a piece San Francisco Ballet hasn't performed in years), Marco Goecke (Mopey, haven't seen at PNB for a while), and Penny Saunders who we've only seen a bit through Whim W'him.  

Recent press:

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/dance/two-pacific-northwest-ballet-dancers-build-a-dream-on-vashon-island-seattle-dance-,collective/

https://www.thestranger.com/theater/2019/07/03/40643596/pacific-northwest-ballet-dancers-started-a-new-company-and-it-looks-pretty-dreamy

I've not been to the venue before but I heard it has 300 seats so this is a great opportunity to see these amazing dancers up close.  All seats are sure to be good seats.  Four shows Friday July 12th - Sunday July 14th.  Casting was posted recently.  There are multiple casts for smaller pieces.

Edited by seattle_dancer

I'm very frustrated to be missing this -- I saw a rehearsal last month and was very impressed.  I'm hoping they find a way to perform some of these works around town this year...

Did anyone go to Vashon to see the show this past weekend?

Lucien Postlewaite and Christopher D'Ariano are heading east: according to Pointe Magazine (emphasis mine):

July 19-21 marks Long Island's 25th Fire Island Dance Festival, a benefit series in support of Dancers Responding to AIDS. This year's line up is chock full of ballet stars and world premieres: Kyle Abraham presents an excerpt of a new work featuring American Ballet Theatre's Calvin Royal III, tap extraordinaire Michelle Dorrance debuts a world premiere featuring Robbie Fairchild, Pacific Northwest Ballet dancers Lucien Postlewaite and Christopher D'Ariano dance in a new ballet by Garrett Smith, ABT's James Whiteside has created a new work for colleagues Aran Bell and Catherine Hurlin and Christopher Wheeldon makes his Fire Island Dance Fest choreographic debut.

Postlewaite has been posting clips of this new work on Facebook, it's very loose and slippery.