This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BalletMet's Audience Votes for OnDemand Program

The works in BalletMet's opening program are based on audience votes, and the company has just sent a press release with the results:

THE VOTES ARE IN!

BALLETMET KICKS OFF THE 2011-2012 SEASON

WITH “ON DEMAND” A PROGRAM OF AUDIENCE-CHOSEN FAVORITES

COLUMBUS, OH – The polls have closed, the final votes tallied, and BalletMet audiences and fans have selected some of their very favorite works to kick off the 2011-2012 season with BalletMet OnDemand – an eclectic mixed bill of classical gems and contemporary classics. BalletMet OnDemand performances run Friday, September 23 through Saturday, October 8 at the company’s intimate 225-seat Performance Space (322 Mount Vernon Avenue). Tickets start as low as $20 and may be purchased through CAPA (614.469.0939) or Ticketmaster (800.982.2787, ticketmaster.com). For season subscription and ticket information go to balletmet.org. College students with ID can purchase $15 Student Rush tickets at the door beginning one hour prior to show time.

BalletMet OnDemand is a dance-lover’s sampler featuring ten works that showcase the strength, agility and interpretive prowess of the company’s exceptional corps of dancers, and which highlight the deep relationships Artistic Director Gerard Charles has established with many of today’s leading dance makers.

“When voting began I was fascinated to find out how close my thoughts were to those of our audiences,” said Gerard Charles, who in 2011-2012 marks his 10th year as BalletMet’s Artistic Director. “It was amazing to see the solid support that the top vote getters received from our audiences, and also to see the good programming choices they made. The result is a great cross section of classical and contemporary works that will inspire, make you think, touch your soul, and make you laugh.”

BalletMet OnDemand Program

Raymonda Pas de Dix (Gerard Charles after Marius Petipa, choreography; Alexander Glazunov, music)

Ad Infinitum (Jimmy Orrante, choreography; Simon & Garfunkel, music)

Gershwin Dances (David Nixon, choreography; George Gershwin, music)

Square Off! (Darrell Grand Moultrie, choreography; Karl Jenkins, Kenji Bunch, music)

Night Music (Laurie Eisenhower, choreography; Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, music)

Two of Us (Ma Cong, choreography; Hugues Le Bars, music)

Way to Blue (Amy Seiwert, choreography; Nick Drake, music)

Return (Stanton Welch, choreography; Benedetto Marcello, music)

Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) (Adam Hundt, choreography; Sonny Bono, music)

Black Swan Pas de Deux (Gerard Charles after Marius Petipa, choreography; Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, music)

Tickets start as low as $20 and may be purchased through CAPA (614.469.0939) and Ticketmaster (800.982.2787, ticketmaster.com). Additional ticket and subscription information is available at balletmet.org. College students with ID can purchase $15 Student Rush tickets at the door beginning one hour prior to show time.

I've come back to look at the "playlist" several times, and am struck by how contemporary it is. For a time, there was a great deal of discussion about a kind of homogenization of repertory -- everyone doing the same Petipa works, the same starter-level Balanchine... this list seems to be absolutely not that kind of program.