This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

DVD of Markova 'Sylphides' and Nerina 'Giselle'

I didn't see this posted yet on Ballet Alert, although it's on other fora. This is a truly extraordinary DVD. Nadia Nerina's Giselle is a big surprise. Were she dancing in 2011, she could hold her own with her technique.

The other gem on this DVD, imo, is Tamara Karsavina's long speaking and piano-playing introduction to Sylphides (Chopiniana).

http://www.amazon.fr/Dance-Double-Bill-Chopin-Sylphides/dp/B004TWOWUE/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

I didn't see this posted yet on Ballet Alert, although it's on other fora. This is a truly extraordinary DVD. Nadia Nerina's Giselle is a big surprise. Were she dancing in 2011, she could hold her own with her technique.

The other gem on this DVD, imo, is Tamara Karsavina's long speaking and piano-playing introduction to Sylphides (Chopiniana).

http://www.amazon.fr/Dance-Double-Bill-Chopin-Sylphides/dp/B004TWOWUE/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

p.s. I got mine from French Amazon although it might be available through other European sites.

Thanks, natalia! This looks like a real find. (Let's all remember to use the ad at the top of the page when we order, so BA! gets a couple cents from Amazon each time. That doesn't cost us anything more. For example, enter "Sylphides/Giselle" in the search box.)

Takes me back. On the same trip to London where I saw Nerina's Giselle, we saw a program with those two ballets on it. There was probably a third piece - I think Rake's Progress. Years later, the Joffrey did Pinapple Poll but does any one dance Lady and the Fool?

I bought the DVD and watched it last night. I was surprised at some of the musical rearrangements in Les Sylphides. Always a pleasure to see Beriosova and Markova in anything.

The Nerina/Fadeyechev Giselle was the real surprise. Myrtha's part is butchered, but most of Giselle's dances are intact, which is more than I can say of the famous 1956 Czinner film with Ulanova. Nerina is a very strong dancer with great technique -- secure balances, lightning fast turns, just lacking that last bit of ethereal mystery. Biggest surprise is Fadeyechev -- dumpy toupee and incomplete turnout aside, his technique would also hold up today. Before Mikhail Baryshnikov wowed people with the traveling diagonal brises Fadeyechev was adding a turn in the air in the middle of the brises. I was also surprised to see the Soviet-style overhead lifts.

The same company now shows, under 'coming soon', a Cranko double bill on DVD:

The Lady and the Fool with Svetlana Beriosova and Pineapple Poll with Merle Park, David Blair and Stanley Holden

Thanks so much for the heads up. I have always wanted to see a ballet of Cranko's. :thanks: