This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Help identifying a ballet

Hi everyone, I have been searching high and low (for years) for a ballet I saw on television a few years ago which I can't remember the name of, and which was one of the most stunning dances I have ever seen.

I will try to describe it to the best of my memory in the hopes that someone recognizes it.

It was set in some sort of bleak-looking place - maybe an orphanage, or a boarding school or a concentration camp (although the dancers were all adults)..the point is, the walls were grey, the floors were grey, there were rows of beds, rows of tables. It was modern dance, with mena and women. At certain points the dancers used small balls in the choreography, bouncing them off the walls, incorporating them into the dance, making sounds and rhythm with the balls. The balls were only a part of the whole routine though, but I mention them because it was unique and very captivating. This was made for film (as far as I can tell since the set wasn't a stage or open to a live audience), and I *think* I saw it on either the CBC or TVO (two Canadian tv stations) which leads me to think it *might* be Canadian, but possibly not.

Is this ringing a bell for anyone? DOes anyone know of any websites that would have this info? I am having no luck finding this.

Any help is really appreciated!

just a guess, but could this be the work in question?

the entry below is from the house-film made at the Brooklyn Academy of Music where a work similar to the one you describe was performed. if mem. serves there was a video, by the co., telecast thereafter, most likely in an excerpted version, on, perhaps a series, now defunct, called Alive From Off-Center.

in any case, below is how the NYPLibrary for the Performing Arts lists its film (which is classified as you see as "Permission required" meaning you'd have to have permission from the troupe and/or from the Academy to view it on the library's premises, so, f.y.i.:

Carbone 14: Le dortoir 1990. 74 min. : sd. color

Restrictions: Permission required.

English title: The dormitory. Videotaped in performance at Brooklyn Academy of Music Lepercq Space in October or November 1990, by Character Generators/Video, during the Next Wave Festival. Cameraperson: Mark Robison. Dialogue in English and French.

Conception/direction/design: Gilles Maheu, assisted by Danièle de Fontenay. Choreography: Gilles Maheu and Danielle Tardif, assisted by the performers. Original music: Michel Drapeau. Text: excerpts from works by Heiner Müller, Rainer Maria Rilke, William Shakespeare, and J. G. Ballard. Costumes: Viviane Roy and Georges Lévesque. Slides: Jean-François Gratton. Props: Brigitte Lemieux and Trans-Formes. Lighting: Martin St. Onge.

Performed by members of Carbone 14: Raymond Brisson, Nathalie Claude, Chantal des Ruisseaux, Alain Francoeur, Denis Gaudreault, Jeffrey Lawton Hall, Rodrigue Proteau, Guylaine Savoie, Gerard Allan Snell, Lin Allison Snelling, Catherine Tardif, Danielle Tardif

Well thanks for your answers guys! I think that this is very close to what I am remembering - except I'm not entirely sure that it's the right thing. Maybe I'm remembering wrong (or maybe it's the music that's throwing me) but I don't remember it being so 80's (and this one seems pretty campy too).

I wish I could find a clip of this or a copy of it somewhere in it's full-length original so I could better judge it. I don't think this is it though...just going by the clothes and the style/speed of the choreography.

The one I'm remembering was slower, more sombre....but again it was a while ago and maybe it's just the music or those particular clips that are throwing me off.

Anyway, thanks again for the help! How did you even know how to find it? I just have nowhere to start searching besides googling my remembered "description"...and of course nothing comes up.