This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I could never really describe Burlesque other than to say that it's simply the greatest movie (so far) of the 21st century.

OK -- no it's not. But, if you head into it with no expectations other than to be entertained, then you will have a great time. The script is about as fresh as a Ruby Keeler script from 1933 -- Will the big-voiced newcomer from Iowa make it as the headliner at the big club? Will the tough gal club owner lose her club to the greedy developer? Will the newcomer find true love with the nice-guy bartender? Or will she sell her soul to the Devil (the developer) to advance her career? Shoot, you already know the answers -- doesn't matter a bit. In fact, the more cliched the storyline became, the better I liked it. Burlesque is a truly old-fashioned musical that doesn't strain for the kind of fake seriousness that Chicago and Nine aspired to -- it is popular entertainment in the best sense.

There are wall-to-wall musical numbers, two of which feature Cher and the rest feature Christina Aguilera. 45 years after "I Got You Babe," Cher can still belt it out and the body is rocking for a 64-year-old. Christina's voice is as big as ever and, through judicious editing, she aquits herself well enough in the dances. Julianne Hough (from Dancing With the Stars) has a supporting role as a fellow dancer at the club.

Cam Gigandet plays the male lead/bartender and, truly, the director must have fallen in love with him, so lovingly is he filmed in this movie. (This reminded me of how Colonel Parker had to object on Elvis Presley's behalf during the filming of Viva Las Vegas because the director spent so much time lovingly filming Ann-Margret that Elvis was shown to disadvantage.) Stanley Tucci steals every scene he is in as Cher's right-hand man. (Alan Cumming has a small part in it as a Cabaret-like emcee but his part must have been whittled down in the editing room.)

If you're looking for a serious exploration of the life of a burlesque performer, this isn't the movie for you. But if you're looking for a fun time, I can't recommend this highly enough.

Grade (on a scale of 1-10): 11!!! :thumbsup:

In fact, the more cliched the storyline became, the better I liked it.

I've been thinking a lot lately about classic structures -- the sonata allegro form, the Commedia characters, the genre painting, the sitcom, the limerick. These things are like old trucks that just keep running, and no matter how thrilling some new car might be, if you need a truck, a truck is what you need.

There's something about a work that lays out the expectations at the top and then fulfills them that is incredibly satisfying.

Last night I went to see it. Cher was the main reason. I love her, I've been in her concerts and onstage she's a powerful force that keeps screaming "SHOW WOMAN!!" like few do. I was a little reticent to make my way to the cinema-(I had seen the whole story line via previews, and I knew there was not much more to add to it...it was just as simple as it seemed, and also never having been a fan of musicals, nor of Christina Aguilera, well...I did the math). I was proved totally wrong. I ACTUALLY ENJOYED THE FILM!! :D . To start with, there's Cher. SHE is the one who basically keeps pulling the strings of the whole body of this thing, and she really knows how to do it. You can see her singing-(two numbers), fighting, being sarcastic, shredding a tear here and there and even violently smashing something into another character's car window at some point, and yes...she does it all very well. But hello...you just can't get over the fact on HOW FAAAAAAAAABOLOUS she still looks!! OMG...The camera definitely loves her. Christina is a minor force, of course, but not bad at all. She's 30 here, but just in the best tradition of Pickford, she can still pull a 13 YO easily...(her character is probably around 18 or 19, I think...). And then, she sings and dances POWERFULLY. A good thing about the film is that it doesn't get too complicated with no reason. It revolves around just a few characters using a sweet story line and done...when you realize it is over. You've been happily entertained and wanting to get the films' soundtrack when it's available.

There's a little extra element that dragged me to the movie theater. When I was a teenager, and started to go out, "Jagua Cabaret", in my hometown, was the place of choice-(I inserted a real pic that I just found on the internet). It is a very alive genre in Cuba-(still is, even after the late taking over of the dance club thing). There used to be a hairdresser friend that worked doing the girls hair and makeup. We used to be a little group of teens with no money, and we used to climb an outdoor wall to gain access to the place, and once there, our friend the hairdresser would sneak us thru the stage door, via the dressing rooms. Many nights I stood there before the show watching all those glamorous girls getting dressed and chatting. It was a magical place, I remember, and so this film was sort of like a trip to memory lane during those "formative" years-( :D )

I think I'm becoming Betty White's Rose with all my stories every time, right...? :D

Anyway...go see the film. It's a good one.

I think I'm becoming Betty White's Rose with all my stories every time, right...? :D

No way, Cristian. Her stories were always fascinating, and so are yours. Unlike Rose, however, you always have a point. And you are VERY persuasive. (For example, I was planning to skip this film ... but now I wouldn't miss it for the world. :thumbsup:)

Re: Jacqua Cabaret. Love the glimpse of show girls. It's like something out of the 50's in NYC. But what's with the audience? They look like they are sitting around waiting for a long-delayed bus.

In fact, the more cliched the storyline became, the better I liked it.

I've been thinking a lot lately about classic structures -- the sonata allegro form, the Commedia characters, the genre painting, the sitcom, the limerick. These things are like old trucks that just keep running, and no matter how thrilling some new car might be, if you need a truck, a truck is what you need.

There's something about a work that lays out the expectations at the top and then fulfills them that is incredibly satisfying.

In total agreement w/ this. Reading the overwhelmingly negative reviews for Burlesque, you just want to tell Roger Ebert and the rest to lighten up. No one involved w/ the making of Burlesque thought they were making anything other than a "programmer" (with all the genre limitations that entails) and yet you have these humorless critics decrying the lack of originality.

It's like when a New York Times reviewer goes to the latest Friday the 13th movie and brings the full weight of "critical analysis" to what is clearly an exploitation picture. The results are unintentionally hilarious because no one goes to these movies for insightful scripts or logical plot developments. Instead, they want bone-crunching violence, flagrant nudity and sexual situations, copious swearing, and extensive pot and alcohol abuse!!!

You can see her singing-(two numbers)

What I think is interesting about her two musical numbers is that each one appeals to different parts of her fan base. The first number -- "Welcome to Burlesque" -- is classic early 70s Cher, right down to the arrangement and Cher's vocal stylings. Her second number -- "You Have't Seen the Last of Me Yet" -- is classic 80s power ballad Cher. What's interesting to me is that she could deliberately change her vocal style to reflect two different eras in her career -- not as easy as you might think.

But hello...you just can't get over the fact on HOW FAAAAAAAAABOLOUS she still looks!!

Like I said, the body is rocking for 64-years-of-age. When she's up on stage w/ those young 20-somethings during "Welcome to Burlesque", she more than holds her own.

bart...thank you for the support on my posts. I know that I get a little carried away many times, but I certainly have great memories from my homeland, and sometimes I think it's worth to share them.

About the cabaret world-(and back to my interest in the film's subject)-it's very interesting that just recently I was just talking to a friend, lamenting the fact that I haven't been able to enjoy this genre in a long time, for which is one that is getting lost-(except probably for Las Vegas). There used to be a place here in Miami Beach at the old Fontainebleau Hotel...a beautiful cabaret that was once home for singers like Frank Sinatra during the 50's. When I arrived in 2000, the hotel was almost in bankruptcy, and the beautiful Cabaret/Grand Ballroom-(designed by Lapidus)-was still offering shows in the old fashion way. I got to see some of them. Later on the hotel went to a multi million renovation and now the charming cabaret is the mega club LIV...one that I can't afford, BTW.

Interesting enough, ballet and cabaret were tightly linked during the first years of the Cuban company. Due to the previous lack of male dancers, many of the first bailarines that conformed the ballet troupe had to be pulled from Havana cabarets, and some of the ballerinas ended up making more money dancing in the famous Havana clubs. I have a lot of respect for this women. They work very hard, and many times they're looked at in a diminishing way.

About the Jagua Cabaret, well...it dates from 1957...and very little has changed ever since. In Havana there are huge, beautiful cabarets, the most famous one being Tropicana

Tropicana in 1956

Tropicana in 2008

Thank you all for your support in my "becoming Rose" trip.. :lol:

But back to "Burlesque"...here are two clips, the first one from the opening Cher's number..."Welcome to Burlesque", and the second one her more soulful offering "You haven't seen the last of Me"...(which looks more like the singer's personal statement, BTW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxnqKjdQM9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQNnGocNf7Y