This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sukhishvili National Ballet of Georgia

A friend of the board thought this would be of interest to our members. Here's the release:

SUKHISHVILI NATIONAL BALLET OF GEORGIA, on Sunday, November 7, 6 pm, at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center. The company will consist of 45 dancers and musicians.

Please note schedule of performances below.

Tickets for November 7 at Avery Fisher Hall may be obtained through Avery Fisher Hall Box Office at 65th and Broadway; :

Or, at Center Charge: 212 721-6500; online at www.lincolncenter.org

Tickets for November 6 at the Millennium Theatre in Brooklyn can be obtained through:

Millennium Theatre Box Office, Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, or by calling 718-615-1500.

For benefit package consisting of Concert and Reception, Call 646-383-7972

INTERNATIONAL CONCERTS is presenting the SUKHISHVILI NATIONAL BALLET OF GEORGIA, The group has performed for over 50 million people in 88 countries on 5 continents. Sukhishvili’s dynamic productions have earned them standing ovations at the Metropolitan Opera, Madison Square Garden, and La Scala, and have earned them BEST SHOW ON BROADWAY Award.

SCHEDULE OF PERFORMANCES:

1. November 6th, 7 pm – MILLENNIUM THEATRE, Brooklyn, NY

Tickets: Box Office, Millennium Theatre;

Russian Hotline – 917-226-3224

2. November 7th, 6 pm – AVERY FISHER HALL, Lincoln Center, NY

Tickets: 212-721-6500; www.lincolncenter.org

PRESS:

“Downright terrific! The Georgian State Dance Company is a reminder that there is a place for high art in dealing with traditions. The company has a classical sensibility, a sense of order and harmony. Even its bravura war dances convey the code of behavior that governed them in the field. ...authenticity is not so much an issue as reactivity... The secret of these Georgians is their gift for communicating the specific within the universal.” - New York Times"

"These fierce choreographic warriors, with sparks literally flying from the clashing swords, swooping in the air, whirling around on tip-toe, or simply preening themselves prouder than peacocks, are first, foremost and magnificent." - New York Post, USA

“The dancers’ leaps defy gravity...unarguably... there's not a finer professional folk dance troupe in the world." - The Washington Post, USA

“Nobody has ever had such a triumph at the La Scala.” - Corriere de la Sera, Italy

“The Georgian National Ballet is unique phenomenon which one should see at least once in a lifetime. There is a real tempest on the stage.” – Le Figaro , France

“The world's greatest dancers. The Georgian dancers fly. There is a storm on the stage!” - Daily Mirror, Australia

I believe this is the company that Peter Martins invited to perform at the New York State Theater in 2004 for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Mr. Balanchine's birth. Mr. B. had seen and enjoyed the company's dances, when it was led by the father of the current director. They are really wonderful. The name of the company seems to change depending on who is reporting; sometimes they are called The Georgian National Ballet, (which we might confuse with the company that Nina Ananaishvili directed, which was the State Ballet of Georgia), sometimes the "Georgian State Dance Company" and sometimes the National Ballet of Georgia. The Sukhishvili name is the identifier.

I saw this troupe when Martins invited them to perform at the State Theater, and again in Brooklyn a few years ago. I thought they were an excellent, exciting troupe and I will be attending the upcoming Avery Fisher performance. This was poorly advertised, though. I'm wondering whether they advertised primarily in media that would specifically reach a Russian audience.

I attended the performance last night. Were any other Ballet Talkers there? The athleticism of the men was especially thrilling, as always. The high flying leaps and incredible spins for the men were amazing. The choreography for the women is generally not quite so difficult or impressive. It was an excellent performance. I think they must have changed costumes about 15 times. The tickets seemed to have sold well. I was concerned that Avery Fisher Hall, which is certainly not a dance friendly venue, might be a problem. However, the company worked around the fact that there are no stage wings for entrances and exits for large numbers of people at once. The company seems to visit New York City every 2 or 3 years. I look forward to seeing them again.

I attended the performance last night. Were any other Ballet Talkers there? The athleticism of the men was especially thrilling, as always. The high flying leaps and incredible spins for the men were amazing. The choreography for the women is generally not quite so difficult or impressive. It was an excellent performance. I think they must have changed costumes about 15 times. The tickets seemed to have sold well. I was concerned that Avery Fisher Hall, which is certainly not a dance friendly venue, might be a problem. However, the company worked around the fact that there are no stage wings for entrances and exits for large numbers of people at once. The company seems to visit New York City every 2 or 3 years. I look forward to seeing them again.

This is probably a breakthrough for them as they've been primarily on the College circuit until now. Good Luck!