This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Keeping Up With...

4 hours ago, Helene said:

I'm not a big fan of Dracula's, but I'm glad to see story ballets that can take the financial burden off Nutcracker, where one winter storm can devastate the year's box office.

Retired PNB Dancer Jessika Anspach once called Nutcracker a gateway drug, and, typically, that supply runs out by December.  More in the pipeline, especially recognizable stories, to take advantage of an audience, especially a young audience, is a good thing.

Co-producer are generally win-win-win [n] when everyone cooperates.

Agreed -- while I've seen some pretty good Dracula material, I don't really care for it in a dance manifestation, but if it can spread the financial stress, I'm happy for that.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

Nicholas Ade's contract as CEO at Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet has been extended for five more years, with an option for two more:

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20170926/CPBJ01/170929913/central-pennsylvania-youth-ballet-stays-en-pointe-with-additions

It sounds like Ade has really worked on the internal structures of the school, which can sometimes get neglected -- noticed that this announcement was in a business paper.

It isn't clear what her mandate was from the Board (or whatever the governing body is called).  She may very well be implementing a plan that has full approval and an expectation and acknowledgement of the consequences.  If she isn't, then I'd guess her tenure would be short.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

She may very well be implementing a plan that has full approval and an expectation and acknowledgement of the consequences. 

That may indeed be so.  We had an example of that here in Seattle, with a jazz dance company whose founding director left -- the board really wanted someone who would raise the profile of the group, and that's what they got.  But it meant that they had almost 100% turnover in the company, and an all-new repertory.  The dust from that transition has settled, and the group is indeed doing some wonderful work, but it was a painful process

Margaret Mullin interviewed Josh Spell for her podcast, "Beyond the Barre."  Spell came back to Seattle at the end of his dancing career to finish his undergraduate degree and to earn a Master's degree from UW.  He's a therapist at the Eating Recovery Center of Washington, after training at both Harborview and Overlake Hospitals.  

A lot of the conversation is pertinent to dance students, but it's an interesting conversation:

http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/body-image-with-josh-spell/

18 hours ago, Helene said:

Margaret Mullin interviewed Josh Spell for her podcast, "Beyond the Barre."  Spell came back to Seattle at the end of his dancing career to finish his undergraduate degree and to earn a Master's degree from UW.  He's a therapist at the Eating Recovery Center of Washington, after training at both Harborview and Overlake Hospitals.  

A lot of the conversation is pertinent to dance students, but it's an interesting conversation:

http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/body-image-with-josh-spell/

Thanks for the heads-up - I don't always monitor this.  I'm glad to hear more about Josh Spell.  I knew he went to Kansas City, but didn't know what came next.

Yes, thank you for posting this. I listened to the podcast over the weekend, and it seems that Josh Spell has found a great fit for a second career. He sounds like exactly the kind of caring and compassionate professional that is needed in social work and the particular populations he's specialized in. Always good to hear such a transition success story :)

There was a Seattle Times article this week about different careers former PNB dancers have gone onto:

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/dance/former-pacific-northwest-ballet-dancers-with-unconventional-second-careers/

Among them:

• Brittany Reid and her husband have a small farm raising grass-fed beef and chickens and they also sell eggs and are planning to add pork!
  • Rebecca Johnston was one of my favorite dancers at PNB, and she's now a lawyer for the NLRB

From the Sleeping Beauty program:

• Jessica Anspach McEliece and her husband Ryan have a daughter -- born December 10, 2018 -- and her name is Evelyn Grace (Evie).  :flowers: to them!
  • There was a photo of Carrie Imler coaching Sarah Ricard Orza in The Sleeping Beauty, and she is expecting a second child this winter.  There's a second coaching photo in the lobby display case that contains programs and photos from past productions and the current one, including one of Imler in mid-jump in one of her great trifecta of Sleeping Beauty roles, the Gold and Silver pas de trois. It's winter now, and she looks pretty ready in the photos! 

ARC Dance is presenting a 20th anniversary retrospective performance next weekend August 10-11 at the Bagley Wright Theatre.  

https://arcdance.org/event/arc-at-20-a-twentieth-anniversary-retrospective-performance/

The company is run by Marie Chong, a former PNB Dancer, and the show features many PNB School and Professional Division alumni including Alice Cao, Erin Crall, Daniel Ojeda, Adam Bloodgood, Mark David Bloodgood, Andre Alabastro, Levi Teachout, and Jimena Flores.