This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

On Wednesday evening August 18 the Lincoln Center production of South Pacific will be broadcast live with most of its original cast, including Paulo Szot and Kelly O'Hara. I saw this production twice and it is probably the best you will ever see; they are in their last week of performances :clapping: :clapping:

A review of the PBS broadcast by Everett Evans in The Houston Chronicle. Anyone see it?

Sher's cinematic staging on the Vivian Beaumont's uniquely wide and deep thrust stage enhances dramatic momentum and creates gorgeous stage pictures in tandem with Michael Yeargan's spectacular sand-and-sea settings.

Happily, the revival's original stars, Kelli O'Hara and Paulo Szot, have returned for the production's final weeks to appear in the broadcast. Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza gave legendary performances in the original production, and you can be sure O'Hara's ebullient Nellie and Szot's ruefully gallant Emile will be remembered as fondly and as long.

I originally saw this production when it first opened (in 2008?), and I saw it again live this week in the theater. (Also recorded the PBS program, but have not watched it yet.) I thought Paulo Szot in particular had made vast improvements in the role since 2008. His characterization is much more nuanced now, and he is in excellent voice. The only negative about my return visit is that I did not like the Lt. Cable who that is currently cast. He seems wooden. The original (Matt Morrison of TV's Glee) gave a superior performance. Anyway, it is now time to say goodbye to this excellent production. I hope Kelll and Paulo return to the stage soon.

The only negative about my return visit is that I did not like the Lt. Cable who that is currently cast. He seems wooden.

Yes, I thought so, too. One of the few things I liked about the film version was the sensitive performance of John Kerr and France Nuyen as Liat.

Only being familiar with the film, I really could not compare it with any other stage production. However I loved the principals, the sets and the quick pace of the whole performance. My father was a WWII vet, and watching this brought back memories to me of his many tales of being stationed overseas. I think that helped me enjoy it too.

I was also only familiar with the filmed version and despite all of the beautiful music it was never one of my favorite musicals. For me it all boils down to: Racism bad, Sexism- no problem. However I thought the production was very well done and enjoyed it except that I agree the Lt Cable was the weak link. His characterization was completely different from what I recall from the film (although, granted, I probably haven't seen the film in at least 30 years). Like ATM, I remember John Kerr as being very sensitive and sincere, although I could be remembering it wrong.

Only being familiar with the film, I really could not compare it with any other stage production. However I loved the principals, the sets and the quick pace of the whole performance. My father was a WWII vet, and watching this brought back memories to me of his many tales of being stationed overseas. I think that helped me enjoy it too.

Thanks, duffster. I too am only familiar with the movie, so when it airs in my neck of the woods I'll be coming to it from that perspective as well.

For me it all boils down to: Racism bad, Sexism- no problem.

One step at a time, I guess. :)

The touring version of this production starring Carmen Cusack and Jason Howard has opened in Toronto to rave reviews. It is running till Sept. 5 at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts (home of the Canadian Opera Company - a great venue), 145 Queen St. W. 416-644-3665.

Saw it tonight (or, rather, early morning - it aired after midnight) here in eastern Ontario, on Bravo. Cried when Lt. Cable died, just like always (having the movie freshest in my mind since I've seen it quite often). Loved John Kerr, but also liked this Lt. Cable. The ending brought more tears, happy ones. Kelli O'Hara has such a nice voice.

I looked up the South Pacific website and saw that she is just one month older than my oldest daughter. Goodness, and she plays an older romantic lead. I remember, watching Mitzi Gaynor, thinking of her as quite the older woman compared to the child I was then!

Along with other Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, South Pacific has been a lifelong favourite and represents to me the essence of what musical theatre is. I grew up in NY in the 50s and 60s and the musicals of that time helped developed my aesthetic consciousness.

So happy to have seen it today!