This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New casts in Napoli and Swan Lake

Advanced casting for next season shows Cecilie Lassen and Alban Lendorf making their debuts in Napoli, and several new casts in Swan Lake: Susanne Grinder joins Amy Watson and Gudrun Bojesen as Odette/Odile, and all the scheduled Siegfrieds are new to the role - Thomas Lund, Ulrik Birkkjaer, Marcin Kupinski and Alban Lendorf. It's not clear what the partnerships will be, though, and they won't announce actual dates till about a week before the respective first nights - far too late for people travelling from abroad! They're certainly working Lendorf hard.

It is certainly going to be interesting to follow Lendorfs developement in the new season! Hopefully he can cope with the many new challenges and the big exposure, but somehow I believe he can.

And I agree with you: one weeks notice for the announcement of the cast is simply outrageous, not only seen with the eyes of the audience, but I also think it is a kind of disrespect for the dancers. You know the cast for an operaperformance months before, why is that not possible for the ballet?

Hilary Guswiler and Gregory Dean (both of them still in the corps de ballet) have now been added to the Swan Lake casts - Guswiler is getting some big roles very early (she turns 21 this year).

(And, off topic but for today only - if you go to the Danish Google page at www.google.dk you will see that they are marking the 205th anniversary of Bournonville's birth!)

(And, off topic but for today only - if you go to the Danish Google page at www.google.dk you will see that they are marking the 205th anniversary of Bournonville's birth!)

Many thanks for the news Jane!

Most browsers will allow you to save the image. I clicked on the Google site, and through Firefox, right-clicked on the image and then "Saved Image As".

Many thanks for the news Jane!

Most browsers will allow you to save the image. I clicked on the Google site, and through Firefox, right-clicked on the image and then "Saved Image As".

That suddenly makes Google much more sympathetic to me!

Hilary Guswiler and Gregory Dean (both of them still in the corps de ballet) have now been added to the Swan Lake casts - Guswiler is getting some big roles very early (she turns 21 this year).

That makes 5 different casts for 18 performances! But apart from that I think Gregory Dean is a very obvious choice for the role of Siegfried, tall and slender and with a very princely look, and he has developed a lot during the last season, not only technically but also in his stage presence. I haven't yet had the chance to see much of Hilary Gusweiler.

The Royal Danish Ballet has announced the casts for all performances except the last one already, which is quite extraordinary! (Sometimes you wouldn't know the cast until you opened the printed programme on the evening of the performance.) Alban Lendorf is cast with Gudrun Bojesen on the first evening.

You can see the rest of the couples here:

Siegfried/Odette

The Royal Danish Ballet has announced the casts for all performances except the last one already, which is quite extraordinary!

Amazing! Now at least it's possible to plan, even though there are some difficult choices. (And let's hope they do the same for Sleeping Beauty)

Have you ever seen their guest Odette, Jurgita Dronina, Anne? I've read very good things about her.

No, I have never even heard her name before - which seems to be a great fault of mine! I saw that she has her very own tread on this board:

Jurgita Dronina on Ballet talk

She is going to be partnered by Thomas Lund. It is the only two performances he dances in this production (he now dances so seldom that you have to be more than usually lucky to get a glimpse of him. So you are right: the choice among the casts can be a really tricky one!!)

It is certainly a very positive thing that the RDB announces the casts already now. I hope it is the start of a new practice, and I wonder if it is, too, a sign of a new strategie: They have to give in to the fact, that the audience is not only going for a special balletprogramme, parts of the audience come specifically to see a certain dancer, especially the truest fans of the ballet who happily go to the same ballet many times to see different casts. It might highten the competition inside the company, which is both a bad and a good thing: the dancers will not only have to please the ballet master, they'll also have to please the audience, and the ticketsale might reveal who is more popular. That might not be pleasant, but that is somehow the way it is in the rest of the world of art. And I think it is right that the dancers come out of that relative anonymity which artists in other branches wouldn't tolerate.