This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hee Seo Promoted to Soloist

The official release:

Hee Seo is to be promoted to the rank of Soloist with American Ballet Theatre. The

promotion, which becomes effective August 2010, was announced today by Artistic Director

Kevin McKenzie.

Born in Seoul, South Korea, Hee Seo began her ballet training in her hometown at the

Sun-hwa Arts Middle School. She was awarded a three-year full scholarship to continue her

training at the Universal Ballet Academy in Washington, D. C. In 2003, Seo won a scholarship

to train at the John Cranko Ballet Academy in Stuttgart. She is the recipient of the 2003 Prix de

Lausanne Award and the 2003 Grand Prix at the Youth American Grand Prix in New York.

Seo joined the ABT Studio Company (now ABT II) in 2004. She was named an

apprentice with the main Company in May 2005 and promoted to the corps de ballet in March

2006. Her repertoire with the Company includes Gamzatti in La Bayadère, Zulma in Giselle,

Natalia in On the Dnieper, Olympia in Lady of the Camellias, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, the

Fairy of Sincerity and Princess Florine in The Sleeping Beauty, the pas de trois, the Polish

Princess and a big swan in Swan Lake, the Sylph in La Sylphide, Ceres in Sylvia and roles in

Ballo della Regina, Birthday Offering, The Brahms-Haydn Variations, Dark Elegies, From Here

On Out, The Leaves Are Fading, Overgrown Path and Seven Sonatas.

HEE SEO TO BE PROMOTED TO SOLOIST WITH

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Hee Seo is to be promoted to the rank of Soloist with American Ballet Theatre. The promotion, which becomes effective August 2010, was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Born in Seoul, South Korea, Hee Seo began her ballet training in her hometown at the Sun-hwa Arts Middle School. She was awarded a three-year full scholarship to continue her training at the Universal Ballet Academy in Washington, D. C. In 2003, Seo won a scholarship to train at the John Cranko Ballet Academy in Stuttgart. She is the recipient of the 2003 Prix de Lausanne Award and the 2003 Grand Prix at the Youth American Grand Prix in New York.

Seo joined the ABT Studio Company (now ABT II) in 2004. She was named an apprentice with the main Company in May 2005 and promoted to the corps de ballet in March 2006. Her repertoire with the Company includes Gamzatti in La Bayadère, Zulma in Giselle, Natalia in On the Dnieper, Olympia in Lady of the Camellias, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, the Fairy of Sincerity and Princess Florine in The Sleeping Beauty, the pas de trois, the Polish Princess and a big swan in Swan Lake, the Sylph in La Sylphide, Ceres in Sylvia and roles in Ballo della Regina, Birthday Offering, The Brahms-Haydn Variations, Dark Elegies, From Here On Out, The Leaves Are Fading, Overgrown Path and Seven Sonatas.

I, too, am very glad that Hee Seo has finally been promoted. I especially loved her as Gamzatti in "La Bayadere" this season, and as the Slyph in "La Sylphide" last season. I really hope she'll be promoted to principal in a few years. I also hope that Stella Abrera will be promoted to principal soon.

I, too, am very glad that Hee Seo has finally been promoted. I especially loved her as Gamzatti in "La Bayadere" this season, and as the Slyph in "La Sylphide" last season. I really hope she'll be promoted to principal in a few years. I also hope that Stella Abrera will be promoted to principal soon.

I concur: both Stella Abrera and Hee Seo are principal material! angelica

Make that three of us agreeing that Stella Abrera and Hee Seo should be Principals. First things first: Congrats to Hee Seo on her appointment to soloist. Absolutely deserved. A gorgeous lyrical dancer with some of the most beautiful feet in the business.

I hope , we don't have to wait for another year for the next promotion(Stella's?)It seems this is the pattern for the last few promotions although( in July's playbill) April Giangeruso has been promoted from apprentice to Corps de Ballet

Make that three of us agreeing that Stella Abrera and Hee Seo should be Principals. First things first: Congrats to Hee Seo on her appointment to soloist. Absolutely deserved. A gorgeous lyrical dancer with some of the most beautiful feet in the business.

Make that number to be four of us!

Congratulations to Miss Hee Seo on her well deserved promotion!!

I have only seen once Stella to dance in leading role in a full-length ballet. That's Cinderella, with Cote back in 2007(?)