This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osipova

The New York Times has a nice feature story on Osipova that includes a little more information about the mugging:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/18/arts/dan...sipova.html?hpw

"The crime of different countries is an unpleasant extra; after the mugging, close to her rented apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, she said she was simply relieved that only her face had been bruised. “It was so quick that I think I felt more shock the next day,” she said. “But now I am thinking only about my first performance of ‘The Sleeping Beauty.’ ”

Is this Saturday Sleeping Beauty going to be a role debut for her? I am not sure the first performance of SB she referred to as with ABT or her first ever SB.

In the interview she seemed to indicate she'd like to join ABT on a more permanent basis , do anybody read the same thing or is it just my wishful thinking?

This is her first, mussel. I was lucky enough to have witnessed her first Rose Adagio in a winter school performance at the old Bolshoi Theater. She was already a stunner at age 15 or 16...even though she had one little off-balance moment at the end of the last balance en attitude, I recall. She still had two years to go in the school. December 2002. The SRO audience went crazy for her even then.

How lucky for all of you who will witness her first complete Aurora!

This is her first, mussel. I was lucky enough to witness her first Rose Adagio in a winter school performance at the old Bolshoi Theater. She was already a stunner at age 15 or 16...even though she had one little off-balance moment at the end of the last balance en attitude, I recall. She still had two years to go in the school. December 2002. The SRO audience went crazy for her even then.

What was Bolshoi smoking not casting her in SB? Politics?

Osipova is very lucky that the muggers did not look inside the bag and become angry that there was nothing of value to them (money) in the bag. As to the location of the mugging, I understand from the news that it was on Amsterdam and 63rd at 12:30 AM. Amsterdam in that area is rather creepy late at night. I always avoid it, and stick to more heavily populated avenues at late hours. I hope she isn't soured on our city.

This is her first, mussel. I was lucky enough to witness her first Rose Adagio in a winter school performance at the old Bolshoi Theater. She was already a stunner at age 15 or 16...even though she had one little off-balance moment at the end of the last balance en attitude, I recall. She still had two years to go in the school. December 2002. The SRO audience went crazy for her even then.

Bingo. Certain older ballerinas -- and their protectors in the theater and/or the Russian political system -- often do not want to give a chance to the up-and-comers who may eclipse them in certain roles. They use half-hearted excuses such as "her lines are not long enough for Aurora or Odette." The truth is that the Kchessinskaya System of having ownership of roles and being able to dictate who else can dance them continues.

Teachers and coaches are also powerful in "lobbying" for their dancers. Remember how sad it was for Veronika Part at the Mariinsky after her long-time coach and protector, Zubkovskaya, passed away?

[

Bingo. Certain older ballerinas -- and their protectors in the theater and/or the Russian political system -- often do not want to give a chance to the up-and-comers who may eclipse them in certain roles. They use half-hearted excuses such as "her lines are not long enough for Aurora or Odette." The truth is that the Kchessinskaya System of having ownership of roles and being able to dictate who else can dance them continues.

Teachers and coaches are also powerful in "lobbying" for their dancers. Remember how sad it was for Veronika Part at the Mariinsky after her long-time coach and protector, Zubkovskaya, passed away?

Osipova is wisely using her opportunities at ABT to learn new roles that the Bolshoi has not cast her in. Everyone already knew she would do a great Kitri. Now she is showing the world what she can do with roles that she has not done with the Bolshoi, like Juliet and Aurora. Had she ever performed Giselle or Sylphide before her ABT performances last year?

I remember similar happened to Vishneva, she danced Odette/Odile with ABT well before Maryinsky cast her in SL.

Osipova is wisely using her opportunities at ABT to learn new roles that the Bolshoi has not cast her in. Everyone already knew she would do a great Kitri. Now she is showing the world what she can do with roles that she has not done with the Bolshoi, like Juliet and Aurora. Had she ever performed Giselle or Sylphide before her ABT performances last year?

Yes, with the Bolshoi. I think we cannot say at all that she is underused in her home company: she is dancing almost everything of new and old they are staging (Esmeralda and Coppelia among the latest new things).

Anyway, good for her to have also opportunities elsewhere (it's funny that in few days we will have in La Scala another Bolshoi debut in MacMillan Romeo and Juliet: Volchkov as Romeo... maybe time to have the work in Bolshoi repertoire?).

I think Osipova made her debut as Nikiya in Novosibirsk before dancing it at the Bolshoi (I feel that Aurora should suit her better than the Bayadere).

There are a few cases of dancers making a debut in another company: Cojocaru, for example, made her debut in La Sylphide on Bolshoi stage.

(it's funny that in few days we will have in La Scala another Bolshoi debut in MacMillan Romeo and Juliet: Volchkov as Romeo... maybe time to have the work in Bolshoi repertoire?).

Not very likely, I think, especially considering that the Bolshoi has just revived the Grigorovich production of R&J. And Osipova was conspicuously absent from it, btw.

the Bolshoi has just revived the Grigorovich production of R&J. And Osipova was conspicuously absent from it, btw.

The comment on MacMillan version was just a joke; Volchkov is a quite late substitute for Vogel (it seems that he didn't have the permission to guest)... to be honest I'm not expecting a great show, but maybe I'll be surprised...

"Conspicuously": as much as I like Osipova, I think that Bolshoi is Bolshoi and not Osipova and other people, so probably she was just absent from it. There were only 4 shows, danced by Nikulina, Kaptsova and Krysanova and all of them are excellent dancers.

The previous premiere was Esmeralda and the title role was danced by Alexandrova, Osipova and Kaptsova.

Osipova is lucky to have other opportunities, but in my opinion she have also lots of oppotunities with the Bolshoi, even if the Bolshoi is right giving some of them also to the other dancers of its wonderful rooster... and giving Osipova time to make Paris, Milan, New York audiences happy! :wub: