This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolle to withdraw from ABT perf. due to injury

ABT release:

ROBERTO BOLLE TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCES WITH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE DUE TO INJURY

Due to injury, Principal Dancer Roberto Bolle will not perform previously scheduled performances of Swan Lake on Monday, June 21 and Romeo and Juliet on Thursday, July 8.

Marcelo Gomes will replace Bolle in Swan Lake dancing opposite Veronika Part as Odette/Odile on Monday, June 21. The performance of Romeo and Juliet on Thursday, July 8 will be danced by Paloma Herrera and Marcelo Gomes. Irina Dvorovenko and Cory Stearns will dance the title roles on Friday, July 9.

American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House continues through July 10. For more information, please visit our website at www.abt.org.

I'm so happy Part is being partnered by Gomes in SL. Too bad about Roberto, though. Who will be cast as Purple Rothbart that night? Hoping for Hallberg.

Edited to add: Saviliev will be purple Rothbart on opening night, based on the casting update in the Met lobby. Gomes is not scheduled to perform the purple Rothbart role this season at all.

I'm so happy Part is being partnered by Gomes in SL. Too bad about Roberto, though. Who will be cast as Purple Rothbart that night? Hoping for Hallberg.

Edited to add: Saviliev will be purple Rothbart on opening night, based on the casting update in the Met lobby. Gomes is not scheduled to perform the purple Rothbart role this season at all.

This is such disappointing news! I find Savaliev be one of ABT's most dramatically flat soloists (I keep picturing the plastered-on grin), which becomes especially apparent in flashy roles like Rothbart. He is obviously a fine technician, but his style can often feel stiff and leaden. Gomes is so spectactular as Rothbart, and I think Hallberg has become just as exciting in the role and really made it his own. It's too bad Hallberg is only dancing the role once, for the Sat. eve Irina/Maxim Swan Lake...

This is such disappointing news! I find Savaliev be one of ABT's most dramatically flat soloists (I keep picturing the plastered-on grin), which becomes especially apparent in flashy roles like Rothbart. He is obviously a fine technician, but his style can often feel stiff and leaden. Gomes is so spectactular as Rothbart, and I think Hallberg has become just as exciting in the role and really made it his own. It's too bad Hallberg is only dancing the role once, for the Sat. eve Irina/Maxim Swan Lake...

We are a lot better off having Saviliev as Rothbart than in the lead role. I once had the displeasure of watching that a few years ago (I think he partnered Vishneva on short notice because Steifel was out).

"Bolle danced yesterday Mats Ek Giselle in Naples. A selective injury."

Oh, I hope this is not the case and don't want to think this of Bolle. Could it be the Ek piece is less taxing than Bolle's remaining roles with ABT? I would hate to see the ABT schedule shaken up and Marcello doing double duty unless absolutely necessary.

Maybe it's a situation where he can do an "acting" role but not a strong dancing role. He did the Lady performances at ABT after pulling out of Bayadere. I've tried to put Mats Ek Giselle out of my mind but I suspect it is not as taxing as Swan Lake or Romeo and Juliet.

Maybe it's a situation where he can do an "acting" role but not a strong dancing role. He did the Lady performances at ABT after pulling out of Bayadere. I've tried to put Mats Ek Giselle out of my mind but I suspect it is not as taxing as Swan Lake or Romeo and Juliet.

After the one on the 9th, Bolle danced also the two other scheduled performances of Mats Ek Giselle, on the 10th and 11th.

It's difficult to say if for an injured person, to dance Ek's Albrecht in 3 consecutive days is less taxing than dancing Swan Lake 10 days later. For sure it is not an acting role (Bolle in an ACTING role????????? the video could be sold as a remedy for insomnia), Luc Buoy uploaded on youtube extracts from his famous performance with the great Ana Laguna:

According to his web-site, the next Bolle's scheduled performances are his Bolle and Friend's gala, starting from July 19th.