This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

OT: Lincoln Center Restaurant Recommendations

http://www.cafefrida.com/Menus.htm

I love this for food, atmosphere and service, although I wouldn't go if I was just looking at the website, all in light yellow and white so you can barely read it. I splurged on the Filet, and it is excellent, before going to see NYCB once in 2006, winter.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/ps/3/6990/New-Yo...oln-Center.html

That link gives you some additional choices, although I've only been to Cafe Fiorello, a very central Lincoln Center place, and which has very good salads. I know someone who worked at Picholine, who said it was marvelous and elegant, probably pretty pricey too. I think she said a lot of the ballet people go there. Gabriel's is popular and trendy with media people (Time Warner), but I've heard the food isn't that good, even though one friend just loves to go there. :) that reminds me that I recently discovered there is a sort of restaurant that sometimes prides itself on having mediocre food, this I totally do not get nor ever care to: There was one reviewed on the East Side that attracts the city's richest people, and the NYTimes reviewer said the food was barely edible. I guess it's a 'scene' thing. Who needs it?

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/restau...6560/bar-boulud

Bound to be great, couldn't resist linking it, 'america's first restaurant centered on terrines'. Sounds too, too good. But Daniel Boulud is the most famous anyway. I hope now he will do one 'centered on rillettes'.

Ed's Chowder House in the Empire Hotel across the street from the Koch Theater

They do a $35 three-course prix-fix dinner which is very good.

Ed's Chowder House

Nick & Toni's Cafe on W. 67th Street

Also do a $35 prix-fix dinner

Nick & Toni's

Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft café in the David Rubenstein Atrium

very casual sandwiches and salads; great atrium that includes the day-of discount ticket windows for Lincoln Center shows

David Rubenstein Atrium

I feel fortunate to live 800 miles from Picholine, otherwise I might have pangs of conscience at being less able to support my favorite ballet companies for having spent so much money in there. Yes, it's expensive, all right, $100-$120 IIRC, but it seems to be worth it. I say "seems to be" because I have no comparisons in that price range. (I do cook, though hardly on their level; I think most cooks will agree that makes you more critical of restaurants.) Anyway, once or twice a year, usually around the SAB Workshops, I enjoy the fine art of cooking on their exalted level. Service is superb, too, competent and confident, never pompous or pretentious.

But a year ago three of us had good meals for the money in Josephina, next door to Fiorello. My (out-of-date?) experience with Gabriel matches what papeetepatrick has picked up about it. And my (old) experience with the O'Neal's restaurants, of which there used to be two or three, led me to stick to their simpler specials of the day.

Thanks to kfw for pointing out Sapphire. I've never been in, but the latest Zagat (which this traveler finds useful, but not ultimate authority) gives it more points than Fiorello, Joesphina, or O'Neal's, (in descending order), but fewer than Rosa Mexicano. I must try it, and Rosa Mexicano, too.

Maybe before signing off I should say I may be old fashioned in preferring more balanced flavors instead of what I take to be the contemporary fashion for unbalanced seasoning, often aggressively so.

Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft café in the David Rubenstein Atrium

very casual sandwiches and salads; great atrium that includes the day-of discount ticket windows for Lincoln Center shows

David Rubenstein Atrium

Nope. The Atrium is temporarily closed. (Repairs? Already?) I went by last evening specifically to grab a bite from 'Wichcraft (love their Frittata sandwich), only to find it boarded up and with a notice that the booth for reduced-price tickets was temporarily housed in Alice Tully Hall. I may be misremembering, but I think the reopening date was in early July.

I also recommend the cafe in Alice Tully Hall, more for the setting than anything else. It's a wonderful space, with pretty good food on a limited menu and terrible "service." If you go, get there early and try to get one of the self-service tables. The hostess will explain.

They do have very sexy desserts. A shame they don't stay open until after performances. On second thought, maybe that's a good thing. :)

Glad to see you're getting some good responses, MakarovaFan. I hope you find them helpful. :)

Yes, dirac, everyone has been so helpful. :thanks:

My husband and I may end up going to Rosa Mexicano because the food there is always exceptional. We may also go to Topaz Thai restaurant. It's not in the immediate area, but their food is fabulous.

I usually eat after the theater rather than before, and the choices are a little more restricted. Two favorites are:

Cafe Fiorello - where you have a good chance of bumping into a dancer or two. (Besides the antipasto salads, try the paper-thin crust pizza)

Whym - down a few blocks at 58th & 9th. Calm, lounge-y atmosphere, spacious design, friendly staff and reliable food. My favorite after Lincoln Center joint.

Picholine used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but the last time I was there (a few years ago), it was awful. I still can't get over how unpleasant tasting the salad I had that night was.

Jean-Georges in the Trump is fabulous with fabulous prices to match. Nougatine (the coffee shop) is much more manageable and also has excellent food. The bar is lovely for a casual meal.

Shun Lee has some of the best Chinese food this side of Hong Kong, but sometimes I think it costs close to what it would cost to go to Hong Kong. Still they used to do the best eels I've ever had. (I think the eels are no longer on the regular menu, but you can still request them ahead of time).

For more casual meals, I have fond memories of Pomodoro Rosso and Josie's both of which I frequented when I lived in the area. Alice's Tea Cup also has nice soups, salads and sandwiches, and Patsy's has very good pizza and salads. Bouchon Bakery in the Time Warner Center also has things like sandwiches and Thomas Keller's famous quiches.

I have to stay away from this thread because now I'm starving.

I'm happy you asked, MakarovaFan. Ever time I'm in the Lincoln Center area before a performance, I blank on where to eat. Now I can print this out and bring it with me.

Let's torture Helene a little more, MakarovaFan. What are some of your favorite dishes in those two favorites of yours?

Glad to, Jack. :thanks:

Of course, Rosa Mexicano's signature pomogranate margaritas and guacamole. For a main course, their enchiladas suizas. Haven't tried any of their desserts -- any recommendations?

At Topaz, their Pad Thai is fantastic. Only draw back is they have limited seating. So, if you go for lunch or dinner, try to get there early.

Chef Daniel Boulud opened a restaurant across the street from Lincoln Center a few years ago called Bar Boulud. I haven't been there. Another opition is a new restaurant that has gotten wonderful reviews called Marea, serving up Northern Italian fare. It's a few blocks from Lincoln Center, right in Columbus Circle. I'm having dinner there in a few weeks with my husband. Another option is A Voce (serving Italian food) in the Time Warner center. I've been there twice, and I was very happy with the food and the service both times. Be warned, though. All these places are pretty pricey.