This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Myrtha's role

In Danilova's memoir she said that Myrtha's role was more substantial, when she was in Russia, than it is today. . . that originally the role was danced by a ballerina and now it is danced by a soloist. (page 147 of Choura)

Is this correct?

For heaven's sake, I've seen this happening IN MY LIFETIME. And she's borne out by the history of the whole ballet, too. Adele Dumilatre was just as big a deal in Paris as Grisi was, and the role was considered, and in some circles still is, a heavyweight requiring a totally dominating dancer.

I agree. It still is in Paris and St. Petersburg (not sure about Moscow), but elsewhere it's often the tallest corps girl or young soloist, a "junior" role (tall being the substitute for authority). It's definitely a ballerina role, and great ballerinas have danced it.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this change occurred?

A very imperfect analogy from opera comes to mind: Aida and Amneris. But Amneris remains a great role, and a great Amneris (Zajick currently) can leave you more wrung out than many Aidas.

Funny you should mention this just now... I've been considering the beautiful Igone de Jongh's portrayal of Myrtha as seen on the Dutch National Ballet's promotional clips on youtube.... a Myrtha who didn't take to being victimized lightly... so much more interesting!

&

I agree. It still is in Paris and St. Petersburg (not sure about Moscow), but elsewhere it's often the tallest corps girl or young soloist, a "junior" role (tall being the substitute for authority). It's definitely a ballerina role, and great ballerinas have danced it.

It certainly has to be a dancer with authority otherwise the role is lost.

Deanne Bergsma, not a conventional ballerina, but a wonderful Myrtha, not only became an equal in performances with Fonteyn and Nureyev she remains for me an exemplar of the role.

Yes Bergsma was tall, but her authority came from the fact that she understood the role and convinced in every way, establishing her otherworldly

nature with incredibly floatingly smooth pas de bourrée and dramatically only capitulating to the power of love, when Giselle and Loys seek the protection of the cross.

Ballerina's Olga Preobrazhenskaya and Lyubov Yegorova both essayed Myrtha successfully and they were both fairly small.

In Danilova's memoir she said that Myrtha's role was more substantial, when she was in Russia, than it is today. . . that originally the role was danced by a ballerina and now it is danced by a soloist. (page 147 of Choura)

Is this correct?

Yes, one of my pet ballet 'peeves'. Danilova was certainly authoritative in the role. From the time of my very first Giselle I assumed it was a ballerina role. Rosella Hightower was the ballerina---and in those days dancers were not listed alphabetically--her name was above the title of the Company. At the time, Marjorie Tallchief and Diana Adams alternated with her in the role---and it was very easy to see the difference.

It's very exciting to see two strong Primas in their quest for a night's most talked about performance. Yes, I've seen Myrthas outcasting some Giselles, and I guess this should be devastating for the title role. But I still like a Principal to dance it, regardless the possible danger to her peer.

I've seen small Myrthas who were excellent, authoritative and terrifying -- Mette-Ida Kirk in Denmark, about 5 feet tall, was one.

I think the reason is that many directors don't understand the role and/or give in to dancers' demands ("I am a BALLERINA and I demand to dance only ballerina roles") and/or think that "tall" and "authoritative" are synonyms. If they explained to the uppity ballerinas that Myrtha IS a starring role, it might work.