This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2010 Program 7

Opening night cast for Program 7. Note the welcome return of Jaime Garcia Castilla.

Last Saturday Maria Kochetkova (aka 'balletrusse') tweeted this about Possokhov's Classical Symphony:

balletrusse: Legs shake, arms shake, knees scratched, weird/cool tutus = Possokhov's new ballet! Come and see it this Friday!

Saturday, 6:56 PM

Program 7 

Opening Night
Friday, April 09, 2010, 8PM

RUSH

Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon

Conductor: Martin West

Frances Chung, Kristin Long

Gennadi Nedvigin*, Pascal Molat

INTERMISSION

World Premiere

CLASSICAL SYMPHONY

Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov

Maria Kochetkova*, Hansuke Yamamoto*,

Frances Chung*, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira*

Kristin Long*, Jaime Garcia Castilla*

INTERMISSION

THE CONCERT

Choreographer: Jerome Robbins

Piano: Michael McGraw

Ballerina: Sarah Van Patten

Husband: Pascal Molat

Wife: Elena Altman

* Denotes premiere in role.

Program 7, Sunday matinee, April 11

Wheeldon's 'Rush' opened the program. Can't say this did a lot for me; the choreography for the corps was more interesting than anything for the three main couples. This was commissioned by SFB in 2003; I'd say Wheeldon has matured as a choreographer since then.

Another world premiere -- Possokhov's 'Classical Symphony'. He uses a standard classical vocabulary turned slightly on its ear every now an again (e.g., two men doing jetes in tandem -- not side by side but face to face, one jeteing front, one backwards). There seemed to be a bit of Wayne McGregor in there too: mainly that business with the dancer's head moving forward/down/up, the whole movement sort of rippling through the whole body (bad description, but when Eden/Eden was performed here a few seasons ago, that move was done constantly -- too much imo). Kochetkova had the hardest job: all kinds of odd-ball supported turns in strange positions; as usual she was wonderful, though I'm worried about her knees after those turns (see her Tweet above).

The ballet was fun and a great showcase for the dancers; the audience loved it. As a premiere it was sandwiched between two other ballets; I suspect it will stay in the rep and become a closing piece in future seasons.

Robbins' 'The Concert' closed the program; Vanessa Zahorian subbed for Sarah Van Patten as The Ballerina. Zahorian was funny, although she lacked SVP's sense of being on the lunatic fringe.

I have to say that these last two programs (6 and 7) have really shown off all the dancers, but the men in particular have been stunningly good. It's been particularly rewarding to see young dancers like Isaac Hernandez (talk about charisma!), Daniel Deivison (beautiful upper body and line) and Stephen Morse (likeable, confident, technically solid -- and he looks about 9 years old) coming out the the corps and holding their own. And soloist Hansuke Yamamoto has been better every time he's on stage (he's been all over the place this year). When I first saw him a few seasons ago, his jump was heavy (thudding landings) and he seemed more like a serviceable house dancer. He's noticeably improved over time, and yesterday in 'Classical Symphony' dancing the lead with Kochetkova, he showed flashes of the exciting dancer he could become. Much cleaner technique and lines, elegant carriage through his upper body, landings now soundless, beautifully secure turns -- he's developing into the whole package and it's kind of thrilling to watch. :D

Has anyone else seen any of these programs? Surely I'm not the the only one there :P

Program 7, Sunday matinee, April 11

Has anyone else seen any of these programs? Surely I'm not the the only one there :)

No, you are not the only one who has seen these programs :wink:

I saw Program 7 for the second time last night (Wed 4/14 - also went opening night). This is probably my favorite program this season of all the mixed bills. Great music all around and wonderful dancing. I could watch The Concert over and over again. I'm actually going again tonight - I checked casting and Katita Waldo is dancing the Ballerina in The Concert!!!! :bow: I am so happy that she has the opporunity to do this on the eve of her retirement and I have the chance to see it!!! There is also the second cast of Classical Symphony I am looking forward to.

No, you are not the only one who has seen these programs :wink:

I saw Program 7 for the second time last night (Wed 4/14 - also went opening night). This is probably my favorite program this season of all the mixed bills. Great music all around and wonderful dancing. I could watch The Concert over and over again. I'm actually going again tonight - I checked casting and Katita Waldo is dancing the Ballerina in The Concert!!!! :bow: I am so happy that she has the opporunity to do this on the eve of her retirement and I have the chance to see it!!! There is also the second cast of Classical Symphony I am looking forward to.

That's a relief :)

I'm going again Saturday afternoon and seeing second cast in the wonderful 'Classical Symphony'. I hope you'll report on tonight's performance with Zahorian and Nedvigin; they seem like good matches for the roles.