This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Favorite Actress/Actor dancer

Globetrotter

I recently saw SFB's Sarah Van Patten in The Little Mermaid and was knocked out. The mermaid role didn't seem too demanding dance-wise, but required tremendous range as an actress. She's known as a good actress, but this was something else. She tops my list as a dancer/actress. Who else has a favorite?

Lynn Seymour and Gelsey Kirkland both gave performances that I thought about for days afterward, and they remain vivid in my memory after these many years. While I saw both women give wonderful performances in a number of roles, my top favorites would be Seymour's A Month in the Country, and Juliet, and Kirkland's Giselle, and La Sylphide,

:D I almost forgot Sally Wilson, wonderful in the Tudor repretore. :)

Both Birmingham Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet have some fabulous actors in their ranks.

BRB has Robert Parker, of course, and Alexander Campbell is one of the rising stars. Of the ladies, Nao Sakuma, Ambra Vallo and Vicki Marr stand out for me.

At NBT, Kenneth Tindall is amazing in everything he does these days; his creation of Sydney Carton in Tale of Two Cities and his interpretation of Heathcliff have been exceptional. Martha Leebolt must be one of the best dance/actresses of the current generation.

I recently saw SFB's Sarah Van Patten in The Little Mermaid and was knocked out. The mermaid role didn't seem too demanding dance-wise, but required tremendous range as an actress. She's known as a good actress, but this was something else. She tops my list as a dancer/actress. Who else has a favorite?

I second Globetrotter's opinion of Van Patten's Little Mermaid -- an extraordinary range of expression from innocent curiosity to agonized acceptance. Her final paroxysms, when she realizes there's no hope for her relationship with The Prince was, I think, the most ferocious bit of acting I've ever seen on a ballet stage. What's especially appealing about Van Patten is how good she is at both drama and comedy. In The Concert as The Ballerina she isn't just funny, she's goofy and a little looney; a fine dramatic actress getting in touch with her inner Marx Brother.

I'd add Lorena Feijoo to the list. Sometimes she brings drama where it might not have been intended (Emeralds, for instance), but she's never less than compelling and moving.

Both Birmingham Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet have some fabulous actors in their ranks.

BRB has Robert Parker, of course, and Alexander Campbell is one of the rising stars. Of the ladies, Nao Sakuma, Ambra Vallo and Vicki Marr stand out for me.

At NBT, Kenneth Tindall is amazing in everything he does these days; his creation of Sydney Carton in Tale of Two Cities and his interpretation of Heathcliff have been exceptional. Martha Leebolt must be one of the best dance/actresses of the current generation.

I am glad to see you mention Ambra Vallo as I also admire her.

A few years ago I saw her in "The Lady and the Fool", in which she gave a performance coming close to that of the remarkable ballerina Svetlana Beriosova in the same role.

Lyn Seymour was definatly a very good actress, I was working at The Royal Ballet at the time, and remember her very well. Nowadays I have found Aurelie Dupont at POB to be very convincing without over acting, I saw her as Tatiana in Onegin and she was brilliant. I have heard it said she can be cold, which I find is a bit harsh. I agree she can be serious , but sometimes the role demands this. She is very good in Les dame aux camellias. In the recent documentary L' espace d'un moment, she dances Raymonda, witout hardly a smile

at the end you see her in agony with her feet, which rather explains the reason. She says ""Oh my feet" gasping in pain, All I want to do is to go home, see my son and go to bed".