This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The real name of Serge Lifar

Hi, I'm in a trouble and somebody may help me on this.

Marie-Françoise Christout, a famous French ballet historian, writes that Serge Lifar's real name is "Sergei Mikhailovich Serdkin". (International Encyclopedia of Dance, Vol.4, p.182, Oxford U. Press)

But Lifar never mentioned the name "Serdkin" in his autobiography, and I couldn't find any russian sources which substantiate Christout's claim. So, what is his real name? Is "Лифарь" a pseudonym? Was he a Ukrainian or a Russian? Did he ever speak or write Ukrainian language?

*Russian wikipedia says his name was "Лифаренко". Then, was it "Сергей Михайлович Лифаренко"?

*If it were Serdkin, as Christout claims, it would be literally "Сергій Михайлович Сердкин" (ukrainian) or "Сергей Михайлович Сердкин" (russian).

*In an interview by John Gruen in 1970s ("The Private World of Ballet", Penguin Books), Lifar said "To us Russians he (=Diaghilev) was a kind of Tsar....". So, was he a Russian?

Hi, I'm in a trouble and somebody may help me on this.

"Marie-Françoise Christout, a famous French ballet historian, writes that Serge Lifar's real name is "Sergei Mikhailovich Serdkin". (International Encyclopedia of Dance, Vol.4, p.182, Oxford U. Press)"

..... "Russian wikipedia says his name was "Лифаренко". Then, was it "Сергей Михайлович Лифаренко"?"

The Kiev newspaper novaya.com.ua /? / articles/2009/12/14/144128-6 carries a story of Serge Lifar’s name(as Lifarenko) and lends some credence with a note about him visiting his parent’s grave in Kiev when attending Moscow Ballet Competition.

In appendix A of the Grigoriev Papers held by the Library of Congress, They list names associated with the Serge Grigoriev/Ballets Russes Archive

(Where appropriate, full and correct original names, if known appear in parenthesis.) The dancer/choreographer in question is shown as:

Lifar, Serge (Sergei Mkhailovich Serdkin)

The Cambridge Encyclopedia says, "Serge Lifar (Ukrainian: Сергій Михайлович Лифар, Serhiy Mykhaylovych Lyfar)

Who is right?

All I can add is that Christout, who I knew a little, was a great admirer of Lifar and knew him well. So she might have had the information from the man himself.

You may be right.

I have searched Russian and Ukrainian records and world wide and the only use of the name Serdkin I have found so far is that given to Lifar whilst the Ukrainian name Lifarenko remains extant.

Is it possible that Lifar gave Marie-Françoise Christout a false name to protect his family in soviet Russia?

Is this distinguished lady of letters, still with us?

Thank you, Alymer and Leonid, for your help. Now Lifarenko sounds like the real one to me.

All I can add is that Christout, who I knew a little, was a great admirer of Lifar and knew him well.

Was/Is Christout a charming lady? I guess she should be. The first ballet book I read was her "Histoire du Ballet" (Collection Que sais-ju? No.177, translated edition), and it was terrific.

Is it possible that Lifar gave Marie-Françoise Christout a false name to protect his family in soviet Russia?

hmm...