This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB and Columbia Univ.

Hoping to expand the audience, NYCB has made the 4th ring society membership free to students, faculty, staff and certain alums of Columbia University. I hope it does bring in new audience members:

http://cuarts.com//calendar/view/type/4/event_id/4087/

New York City Ballet free Fourth Ring Society membership

Dance

January 05 to February 28

and May 04 to June 27

New York City Ballet

David H. Koch Theater

20 Lincoln Center Plaza

New York, NY 10023

212-870-5570

New York City Ballet is pleased to make available complimentary membership in the Fourth Ring Society to Columbia students, faculty, and staff and to members of the Columbia Alumni Arts League during the 2010 Winter (January 5 - February 28) and Spring (May 4 - June 27) Repertory Seasons.

Fourth Ring Society members may purchase up to two (2) tickets per performance at the special price of $15 each in the Fourth Ring Rows C-O. This represents a savings of 25% on each ticket.

Fourth Ring Society members also enjoy savings at local restaurants and a free gift. Prior to many shows, docent-led First Position discussions take place on the Fourth Ring-conveniently placed at the entrance to where your seats are located.

If you are new to ballet or simply enjoy attending frequently, the Fourth Ring Society is a perfect way to see New York City Ballet this winter and spring.

If you have questions about Fourth Ring Society membership, call 212-496-0600, M-F, 10 am - 5 pm

Columbia offer:

Follow the link in the 11/13/2009 newsletter

*Please note this offer is for the 2010 season. Last year's membership does not carry over to this season.

Great audience development tool, and I hope it pulls in students, but it seems unfair to students, faculty, staff and "certain alums" (whatever that means) of other NYC institutions of higher learning.

I'd like to see the company extend a similar offer to students of CUNY, too, who are more likely than Columbia students to be deterred by the cost of a 4RS membership or full price ticket. In addition, CUNY students are probably more likely to remain in NYC than Columbia students, therefore to remain long-range audience members.

Great audience development tool, and I hope it pulls in students, but it seems unfair to students, faculty, staff and "certain alums" (whatever that means) of other NYC institutions of higher learning.

I'd like to see the company extend a similar offer to students of CUNY, too, who are more likely than Columbia students to be deterred by the cost of a 4RS membership or full price ticket. In addition, CUNY students are probably more likely to remain in NYC than Columbia students, therefore to remain long-range audience members.

I agree 100%. This is a strangely selective outreach. It is of course an "audience development" technique, but the focus on Columbia also smacks a little of "donor development" thinking, where outreach is targeted to the haves or the likely-to-have.

I suppose it is possible that this is a response to a request on the part of Columbia, rather than an NYCB initiative on NYCB's part. If so, NYCB should build on this by approaching all the CUNY colleges, and other universities as well, to encourage them to join the party.

Remember that NYCB would probably not be here in its present form were it not for Newbold Morris, Morton Baum and the original City Center, with their philosophy of making the classical arts accessible to as broad a range of economic groups as possible. Today's students are tomorrows subscribers and donors, as the early experience of NYCB has demonstrated so well.

This is not a knock on other institutions. This is part of the Columbia Arts alumni group. I've been taking part in this offer for more than three years, so it's not new. Membership to the arts league gives members discounts on arts throughout the city, not just at NYCB.

Free 4th Ring Membership was available to members of CAAL in 2008 as well. (I'm not sure about 2009.) CAAL membership is $25/year, although '08 it was given as a graduation "gift" to all CU graduates.

Barnard has a very strong dance department. Bob La Fosse and Allegra Kent are both on the faculty, as was Helene Alexopoulos a few semesters back. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the result of a department request to NYCB.

I found the article via a Google Alert that connected me to the CAAL announcement. It's great that it's been going on for a while. I wonder if they do the same thing for Fordham, as the company has had a close relationship (geographical as well) with Fordham -- many Company members got their degrees there while still dancing (offhand I can only think of Jenifer Ringer, James Fayette, Lourdes Lopez).

I agree with Carbro that it would be good for them to extend the priviledge to the CUNY schools if it were possible. I worked for one for 6 years, though I didn't have much contact with students, I know that in general these are students that wouldn't have had much exposure to ballet before college -- but all the CUNY schools have performing arts centers that present at least one ballet company a year. It's a beginning!