This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From you regular Nobel Festivities special reporter: :tiphat:

I have just seen on TV the award ceremony from Oslo, Norway. President Obama was awarded the prize by the Nobel Committee and received it, as it is termed: "From the hands of His Majesty the King". He received a gold medal weighing 196 grammes and a diploma originally made by the artist Wigeland.

(The sculptor who is responsible for the Wigeland Park near Oslo),

The ceremony included the pianist Lang Lang playing Chopin, Esperanza Spalding sang and Wycleaf Jean was also in attendance.

President Obama held a wonderful Nobel lecture - he is really the most fantastic speaker and he was widely applauded.

The First Lady was stylish as usual.

The President had brought with him an entourage of 700 people and the security arrangements were massive.

This was Norway and this evening there will be the festivities in Stockholm which include physics, economy, chemistry and literature. Your regular Nobel reporter will report from that as well later tonight. :)

The ceremony included the pianist Lang Lang playing Chopin, Esperanza Spalding sang and Wycleaf Jean was also in attendance.

Thanks, Pamela. When I turned on the TV during the ceremony I was surprised to see Spalding. But I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised, because she played Washington, D.C. just a few days ago and the Post noted she'd already played the White House twice. What a fast track career!

I enjoyed your report, Pamela. Please tell us more. I understand Obama blew off a number of the events for obvious reasons, given the Orwellian nature of the proceedings. :tiphat:

I understand Orwellian as an adjective to mean or describe an event, situation, idea, or a condition of societies as being destructive to the welfare of a free society.

Is that what you meant, as I have yet to read newspaper accounts as to what was taking place.

I was very pleased to read Pamela's post which in ten lines gave a full flavour of the event. Many thanks.