This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thumbs up for Rojo/Acosta/ Royal Ballet Romeo and Juliet!

This DVD is for those Tamara Rojo critis who say she lacks emotion and involvement in a role.

I know...I used to be one of them.

Tamara was fabulous as Juliet! She captures the youthful playfullness as a 14 year old and she grows into a woman by act 3. The "scream" in the finale may be overdone according to some....but I lose it almost every time I see it and right now I'm starting to tear up a little as I type this. Her acting coincides with the music all throughout the video....the moments that stick out in my mind are " the scream" and when her hand falls at the last note of music when she dies.

Carlos Acosta's Romeo was up to his usual high standard. The Balcony PPD was emotional and involving. The "burial chamber PPD" was also well excecuted. I am starting to respect him as a dancer.

Thiago Soares was a Tybalt not to be trifled with....he did no dancing..but his acting was very convincing and the appropirate testosterone exchanges between he and Romeo were palpable.

Elizabeth McGorian as Lady Capulet was griefstricken and angry at the same time in her reaction to Tybalt's death. Her vilolent rebuff of Romeo when he begs her forgivness was more dangerous than tybalt's sword to the extent that his buddies got him out of there in a hurry!

Sandra Conley as Juliet's Nurse showed the same standard of excellence that she displayed as Giselle's Mother. Providing some comic relief when she trys to deliver Juliet's note to Romeo and letting Juliet know she's becoming a woman. Also showing genuine affection and love for Juliet.

Boris Gruzin"s interpretation of Prokofiev's music is Definitive. He has set a high bar for all others to try to top. At the curtain calls some of the orchestra members gave him a standing ovation....well deserved.

But Tamara was the shining star of this production. After wiping the tears from my eyes...I had this question..WHO COACHED HER WHEN IT CAME TO HER ACTING??????? Whoever it was deserves as as much praise as Tamara's performance.

What this DVD did for me was confirm something that I just had a slight notion about. At this level of perferformance..its the Ballet Masters and the Artistic Directors that determine the quality of the dancer...not so much the dancer themnselves. If anyone has a problem with any particular ballerina in a certain role...the problem lies with the Ballet masters and the Artistic director.

Thanks, Iczerman. your remarks are appreciated. I hope to hear from others who have seen the DVD before I take the plunge and purchase it. I recently bought the Royal Ballet Swan Lake with Nunez and Soares and was disappointed---once bitten, twice shy? I have too many DVDs I don't care to see again. :angel_not:

Thanks, Iczerman. your remarks are appreciated. I hope to hear from others who have seen the DVD before I take the plunge and purchase it. I recently bought the Royal Ballet Swan Lake with Nunez and Soares and was disappointed---once bitten, twice shy? I have too many DVDs I don't care to see again. :)

Well, to be a spoilsport, I was very disappointed in this performance. Unlike Iczerman, Rojo definitely did NOT speak to me with her Juliet.. And Acosta, he flairs his nostrils a lot and looks angry but doesn't dance that well and sure doesn't seem like a Romeo, much more a Tybalt.

I would rather have seen a Cojocaru/Kobborg Romeo and Juliet if we needed another filming of the Macmillan

But that's what makes horse races, right?

I saw this at a multiplex last year and enjoyed it well enough. (Here's the original thread.) I certainly preferred Rojo to Acosta, whose dancing was not clean, particularly in the second act. At the time I intended to buy the DVD, but, as often seems to happen, I eventually came around to richard53dog's position and decided against it. I, too, have too many DVDs that I'm not watching.

I still have reservations about Wayne Eagling's Romeo, but I think his film with Alessandra Ferri is preferable.

I've not seen this particular video, but I'm a big Rojo fan, and have found her to be a tremendous actress. That said, I don't think Acosta is her best partner, and (small voice) he's not a great actor. But there's a demand for him on film, so..........

She really shone (in my eyes) with Cope, and I don't see anyone currently pushing her emotionally/dramatically in the same way.