This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT in Chicago 2010

I found these excerpts from a Wiles/Stearns performance. Cory seems to be sort of expressionless in certain parts of the video excerpt -- almost stoic in his facial expression and with no expressiveness to his body language. Again, I can't evaluate anything meaningfully based on youtube, but that's what it vaguely seems to be like.

I would caution strongly against judging the performance by this bootlegged video. I was there and he and Wiles performed beautifully together.

I was at the last performance with Veronika Part as Odette and Gillian Murphy as Odile and Marcelo Gomes as Prince Siegfried...Gillian Murphy is a dancer I'm ambivalent about... I was also a bit distracted because I know she wears a pointe shoe that has a bit of controversy attached to it, so I was watching her feet probably more than I should have (and for the record, she used her feet well and the 'shoe' was really only noticable when she was standing flat and then it gives a bit of a 'flipper' effect).

Actually both Part and Murphy wear Gaynor Mindens--so both wear said controversial shoes!

From what I saw on the clip of Wiles as Odile----her interpretation needs some sophistication---she is too much of the smiling girl-next-door type---she surely has the technique for it, and then some. I say this as one who admires her and is waiting for her artistry to break out. :mad:

From what I saw on the clip of Wiles as Odile----her interpretation needs some sophistication---she is too much of the smiling girl-next-door type---she surely has the technique for it, and then some. I say this as one who admires her and is waiting for her artistry to break out. :mad:

All I can say is that -- in the theater -- she didn't come across as the girl-next-door at all. She had a devilish, saucy quality that I don't remember her having the last time I saw her in this part.

[Wiles] had a devillish, saucy quality that I don't remember her having the last time I saw her in this part.
:mad: I'm so happy to read this, miliosr. That perfectly describes what set her apart as a corps dancer. That, and her joy and musicality. Unfortunately, as she advanced through the ranks, she became very girl-next-door, as atm describes, inconsistent artistically. Glad to hear her Chicago O/O went so well. Whether it was a breakthrough, we'll have to wait and see.
Whether it was a breakthrough, we'll have to wait and see.

That I cannot say.

I can say that I was heartened to see get out of her own head for once and enjoy herself as the "bad girl" in the Black Act. Hopefully, she took that bad girl spirit with her to New York!