This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Promotions at NYCB!!!

Interesting point. In my opinion, 4 of the 5 promotions to principal are absolutely based on stellar past achievements. These individuals have been doing principal level work, and have been carrying a substantial workload, for quite some time. They are finally receiving the recognition and compensation they deserve, in my opinion. Given the dire financial issues that have been swirling around NYCB in recent months regarding the firing of various corps members, some of these individuals may have been wondering how much longer they would have to wait for a promotion due to financial considerations.

Indeed, especially in the case of the superb Reichlen. Her delicacy, sensibility, and elegance are far, far beyond the NYCB norm at this point, and recall the great dancers of NYCB's glorious past.

Interesting point. In my opinion, 4 of the 5 promotions to principal are absolutely based on stellar past achievements. These individuals have been doing principal level work, and have been carrying a substantial workload, for quite some time. They are finally receiving the recognition and compensation they deserve, in my opinion. Given the dire financial issues that have been swirling around NYCB in recent months regarding the firing of various corps members, some of these individuals may have been wondering how much longer they would have to wait for a promotion due to financial considerations.

Indeed, especially in the case of the superb Reichlen. Her delicacy, sensibility, and elegance are far, far beyond the NYCB norm at this point, and recall the great dancers of NYCB's glorious past.

Hear, hear! And Tess has only gotten better since the promotion was announced. Her Dew Drop is amazing, and unique b/c how often do you see tall women doing Dew Drop?! And she was wonderful again as Hippolyta last night in MND (the rest of the cast was also superb, best MND I've seen!), even better than I remember her last spring. Perfect fouettes that didn't travel in the slightest, and HUGE jumps. Brava, Tess. I can't wait to see her in more roles.

Certainly City Ballet can support more principals than ABT. If any average program consists of three repertory works (not average this winter season, but generally speaking), that's probably 6 principal roles right there. And a lot of ballets have 4 or 5 or more principal roles.

But as McCaulay and others on this board have speculated, it seems likely some retirements will be announced this year (besides Kistler). Martins is pragmatic, and I don't think he would promote 5 principals in one fell swoop if he didn't know there would be spots opening up. No matter how long "overdue" some of them might be.