This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

For Francophone Canadians out there, Artv will be airing Sonia Paramo's film Noureev: L'attraction céleste this week.

Sunday, October 18 at 7:00 p.m. ET

Tuesday, October 20 at 8:00 a.m. ET

Wednesday, October 21 at 12:00 a.m. ET

Friday, October 23 at 7:00 a.m. ET

Saturday, October 24 at 7:00 a.m. ET

http://artv.ca/emissions/portraits.html

Here is a blurb in English about the film:

http://www.fipa.tm.fr/en/programmes/2009/mus_18796.htm

Huh, saw that program last week and I have it safely on DVD :lol:

It was good IMO. Of course, here we must take the facts into account. After having seen it I made the remark that it was rather like seeing another program about The last of the Romanovs. There are only so many film clips to go around, and there are only so many news reels etc. It is more or less a question of how you put them together and who you interview. I do have a few Nurejev DVD's in my box and I sat there thinking, Aha, now comes that bit. Seen it all before.

Now dont get me wrong, I am not complaining, it was very good and well made and I really recommend viewing it. Here (in Sweden) I saw it on a commercial arts channel called Axess of which I am very fond. Trouble with this Axess is that they are apparently not rolling in money and mostly buy up some fairly old stuff like concerts by the Vienna Philharmonic from 1995 or so. Yet, I am happy, Axess is my sole source of ballet on TV.

I can assure you all that you will enjoy it - especialy those bits from his youth - so if you have a chance, dont miss whatever you do.

It was good IMO. Of course, here we must take the facts into account. After having seen it I made the remark that it was rather like seeing another program about The last of the Romanovs. There are only so many film clips to go around, and there are only so many news reels etc. It is more or less a question of how you put them together and who you interview. I do have a few Nurejev DVD's in my box and I sat there thinking, Aha, now comes that bit. Seen it all before.

Ha, Pamela , you make a good point about the finite number of clips. After a while I start to get confused and can't tell if I've seen this PARTICULAR documentary before or I just remember the material from another one.

The various Maria Callas documentaries have me completely confused. It's the same issue. How many times can you shuffle the same cards.....