This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This is such a loss. The wonderful resource that Ketinoa created has been removed because of the Balanchine Trust. See following article.

The YouTube Ketinoa channel contained over 1300 videos of Mariinsky & Bolshoi ballets, including extracts of rehearsals, Vaganova Academy examinations, class syllabus, new and vintage performances. Steering clear from the issue of who owns the copyright, this channel served as a film archive accessible to anyone wishing to further educate themselves or simply to enjoy great ballet extracts, with user comments largely praising its content. Last month this channel was suspended because it was found to contain a small subset of copyright protected videos featuring ballets by Balanchine. The claim was submitted on behalf of the Balanchine Trust, the body in charge of protecting the legacy of that choreographer. Assuming the channel owner received a notification asking for immediate removal of the offending videos, if he/she complied then the account could be re-activated, provided offending videos were not re-uploaded. But YouTube could also have pre-emptively suspended the account without notice to protect itself from any potential lawsuit, in compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (US), which seems to have been the case with the Ketinoa channel, based on claims by ongoing campaigns to save it (see first link in this paragraph).

Ketinoa had at least two versions of the complete 1890 Sleeping Beauty reconstruction, which many would never have seen otherwise. And at least one of them included Veronika Part as the Lilac Fairy.

I believe it was the premiere with Vishneva and Fadeev that featured Part's Lilac Fairy.

Ketinoa's videos gave me the opportunity to see dancers (past, present, and perhaps future) and ballets I will likely never see live. She is greatly missed.

The Balanchine Trust is not being very long sighted....

As a friend of mine just wrote, "YouTube doesn't compare with a vhs or a dvd and certainly not to a live performance. What is the matter with the Balanchine Trust anyway? Do they want to make sure that his work dies a slow death from lack of exposure? And why deny us all the other pieces just because of them? Crazy."

We've got to agitate. This is an issue of scholarly access to a great library.

SO we've got to take this beyond our boards -- to the blogs, to theTimes, the Wall Street Journal ["the undersigned scholars of the Academic Dance deplore and denounce," etc., " "Mr Balanchine himself would not have condoned this," etc. Call your congressman, start agitating for changes in the law to expand protections for the free interchange of information, etc.

We're not just a bunch of hobbyists -- this is really a matter of academic freedom, freedom for students and scholars to have access to libraries, and Ketinoa's channel was a library I visited constantly. As Hans pointed out, where else could one see two complete versions of the reconstructed Sleeping Beauty. And the coaching sessions!!! The commentary and the syllabi, the performances, the syllabi -- the variety of classes possible within the Vaganova system, all of this K opened up to students hungry to know....

Perhaps this closure is driven by personal politics within the Balanchine Trust.

On the web Ketinoa said, "First of all, I danced for and spoke to Balanchine during classes and rehearsals in NYCB, so yes i have danced."

now THAT has been removed, too, apparently. :/

Quite annoying, to say the least.

Many of us will never be able to see many of these ballets or dancers. I sure did enjoy those videos whilst they were there.

I would write to those addresses named. What to say? Just - "reinstate ketinoa's videos, please!"?

Or is there some certain thing one has to say - as in court. ;)

-d-

Just a thought with a bit of experience behind it...when I was a student at Vaganova Academy I was permitted to make video recordings of classes and performances in the Academy theatre, although I did agree that I would never distribute the films nor use them for purposes other than my own educational benefit. Most of ketinoa's Academy films were official films from Vaganova Academy examinations. Those are actual archival materials sold to the students, but they remain the property of the Vaganova Academy. As much as I enjoyed watching the films I doubt they were there with the prior permission of Vaganova Academy which might then enter into copyright infringement. I do not know, just a thought. The school in which I work does not permit our students nor employees to post our films on youtube for very good reasons. When they are posted they are under the direction of the school or quickly removed from youtube.

As for the Balanchine Trust, there are legalities involved which include musician's unions for performance. It is all very unchartered territory. Hopefully one day it will all be worked out and such educational material will be made available for educational purposes.

The removal was a month ago. This appears to be a new incarnation of Ketinoa russianballetvideo -- check the oldest upload.

It doesn't sound like russianballet is a new incarnation.... Here is a nine part video of Mezentseva (1/9 35th Mezentseva Birthday Semenov Kirov Mariinsky Class Zaklinsky Kulik Pankova Vaziev Vorontsova) from russianballetvideo with the following text:

THIS IS A YOUTUBE FIRST. NEVER SEEN BEFORE. Eat your heart out Ketinoa. Even you did not have a 90 minute Kirov company class and focusing primarily on the birthday girl.

It doesn't sound like russianballet is a new incarnation.... Here is a nine part video of Mezentseva (1/9 35th Mezentseva Birthday Semenov Kirov Mariinsky Class Zaklinsky Kulik Pankova Vaziev Vorontsova) from russianballetvideo with the following text:

THIS IS A YOUTUBE FIRST. NEVER SEEN BEFORE. Eat your heart out Ketinoa. Even you did not have a 90 minute Kirov company class and focusing primarily on the birthday girl.

Oh, ouch, that is so harsh...

The removal was a month ago. This appears to be a new incarnation of Ketinoa russianballetvideo -- check the oldest upload.

russianballetvideo is Ketinoa, one and the same. That comment was Ketinoa being sarcastic.

Ketinoa was a Somova cheerleader. Needless to say, I am not crying.

But Ketinoa was also very fond of Obraztsova, I remember the uploads of Obraztsova's Sleeping Beauty in which Ketinoa described her as one of the best Auroras in the world today, so I'd say the channel had a balanced view.

(But I myself am a fan of Obraztsova and Kondaurova, not Somova :FIREdevil:)

This is such a loss. The wonderful resource that Ketinoa created has been removed because of the Balanchine Trust. See following article.

The YouTube Ketinoa channel contained over 1300 videos of Mariinsky & Bolshoi ballets, including extracts of rehearsals, Vaganova Academy examinations, class syllabus, new and vintage performances. Steering clear from the issue of who owns the copyright, this channel served as a film archive accessible to anyone wishing to further educate themselves or simply to enjoy great ballet extracts, with user comments largely praising its content. Last month this channel was suspended because it was found to contain a small subset of copyright protected videos featuring ballets by Balanchine. The claim was submitted on behalf of the Balanchine Trust, the body in charge of protecting the legacy of that choreographer. Assuming the channel owner received a notification asking for immediate removal of the offending videos, if he/she complied then the account could be re-activated, provided offending videos were not re-uploaded. But YouTube could also have pre-emptively suspended the account without notice to protect itself from any potential lawsuit, in compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (US), which seems to have been the case with the Ketinoa channel, based on claims by ongoing campaigns to save it (see first link in this paragraph).

:) Perhaps if we all stopped going to see Balanchine works (short term)worldwide, resulting in a loss of revenue to the Trust, (if they recieve financial rewards through performances) they would get the message of how we feel about their actions. Their over zealous protection is not very effective without an audience.