This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met 2010 Info

the upper body muscular development that maturer dancers like Carreno and Gomes have....

Also, Part's jump has a kind of horizontal power covering great distance - it actually is one of her strengths. The weightedness actually increases the sense of power. I don't think that Murphy is a better jumper. Part's serious deficiency is in turning and petite allegro which she recently has become more consistent in though by no means a natural.

FauxPas -- I'm asking because I don't know, not because I am questioning the point about upper body muscular development. Is that something a danseur typically strives to achieve as he matures -- because there could be perceived "cons" to that as well (e.g., a different line to the upper body than if there were less development)? For example, is that something that Hallberg should try to develop and could that compromise the proportion of his torso to his legs (even though he has very long legs)? Somehow, Gomes still looks lean, even though he has upper body muscular development. :lol: I don't know about Carreno, because I'm not sure I've ever seen him live.

Also, along the lines of muscular development, why would a danseur like Blaine Hoven be working out so much that he has developed the heaviness of muscular physique (especially on the upper body) that he has now?

On Part, she does have the weightedness you mention that, I agree, adds to the sense of horizontal power. But it is a particular form of horizontal power which might be better suited to certain roles than others. I think how serious a deficiency the lack of height in her jumps and the sense of weightedness can be when one is addressing vertical coverage depends on the role. I wonder the extent to which large bone structure and the weight of one's bones can affect jumping. Also, Part is not as thin as certain other ballerinas. She has a "thicker" look when you look at her from the side of her body (not just frontally, when you see she has broad shoulders and a broad frame). She also has a more womanly, as opposed to "fragile girl", look that some (myself excluded) would perceive as contributing to a more glamorous look.

Where I do agree with you Ambonnay is that Hallberg has a "sensitive young man" quality onstage despite his height that makes him seem boyish and callow next to the womanly Part. Gomes and Bolle who are more matinee idol dashing leading man types match up better with her being more mature and sexual onstage.

Where I do agree with you Ambonnay is that Hallberg has a "sensitive young man" quality onstage despite his height that makes him seem boyish and callow next to the womanly Part.

Hallberg sure was a worldly, sinister von Rothbart to Part's Odile though.

Many months for cast changes, it will be fun to keep an eye on things. This is why I no longer buy subscriptions. I wait for casting and buy individual tickets.

Also, can you clarify what you refer to when you say "casting"? Are there big changes ahead typically? :lol:

There will be numerous cast changes between now and the actual performances due to injury, illness, scheduling issues, etc...

There is no new Ratmansky ballet on the spring schedule. I had hoped that he would choreograph a full-length ballet for ABT. Perhaps in 2011...

I believe that Ratmansky is under contract to do a ballet for NYC Ballet in Spring 2010 for the Diamond Project. I guess we'll have to go across the plaza to see a new Ratmansky. Also, not that I'm a big fan, but why is Maxim scheduled for so few ballets?

Various posters on this board have noticed a deterioration in Max's technique. Especially noteworthy is that Max is not partnering Irina in "Don Quixote" as has been the custom in the past. I know that ABT was developing Max's virtuoso skills as opposed the understated "danseur noble" long-lined elegance that was his natural style of movement. He has either aged beyond that point where he can push his technique to compete with Corella and other such bravura dancers or he let himself deteriorate.

Apart from the demands of his own company, I wonder why Corella has so few performances too? :lol:

I took a look at his company's website. Angel and his own company will be performing in Bilbao in early June. However, there are no dates listed for his own company in late June. I'm hoping he will turn up as the cast in some of the TBA performances w. ABT. To add insult to injury, Angel is performing Fancy Free with his own company. Wouldn't it be great if he could squeeze a few FF performances w. ABT into his schedule.

I'm disappointed to see so little here for my favorite up and coming corps members: I don't see anything new here for Eric Tamm, and where is Isabella Boylston? ... but perhaps I'm expecting too much. But I'm totally dismayed at the absence (are they in there *anywhere*?) of Misty Copeland, Kristi Boone and Yuriko Kajiya.

Do not despair. First of all ABT is very bad about listing complete castings, for example Blue Bird pas does not appear in SB. That is just one example. (A pet peeve of mine, NYCB does much better in this respect).

Second you never know what "company" might mean. In the Avery season the Barton piece was cast as "company" but there were clearly principal roles. In the Millepied piece, only the pas couple was listed, but clearly Simkin (I don't remember who else did the role) was featured.

Third there are many months between now and the Met. Interestingly many of the same ballets that are cast for the spring are still TBA for DC in January.

Just keep following casting as the months go by!! It ain't over til it's over, or til the fat lady sings or something like that.

Corella is only involved in two full-length performances at the Met in 2010. I don't want to attend the Romeo & Juliet he has with Vishneva because it is on the evening that I hope to receive tickets for the Osipova/Hallberg R&J, and two performances during a day may be too much for me. However, the other Corella (Don Quixote) is with Herrera as Kitri. I can tolerate Herrera in a classical role if she is paired with Hallberg and she is the only choice, but I try not to pick Herrera performances. What to do?

Maybe wait, since it is conceivable Corella could be one of the two "TBA" Basilios as well?

I thought Corella was scheduled to dance DonQ already on May 28th?

And don't believe the Corella Ballet online schedule which so far only lists the one performance date in June 2010...Last year, the schedule also started with few performances listed, but then quickly filled in, resulting in at least 1-4 performances EACH WEEk until the end of the year. In fact his CB vs. ABT schedule was v. tight last year, and will probably be so this year.

(One example of that schedule from 2008: He danced "Giselle" with Nina, (his final ABT perf that Met season), flew the next day to Spain, 2hrs after landing he was in a 4hr rehearsal with his company, followed by a company photo-shoot for the programs, and then that night hosted a VIP/press conference at the Royal Palace of La Granja prior to his company's debut performances the next night.--when it rained and then iced the outdoor stage because the temp dropped. He never mentioned any jet lag, but i know I felt it every time I picked up my equipment.)

So like those TBAs, we just have to wait and see.

PS. Corella is usually v.good in R&J, and with Vishneva.

The Basilios and Kitri that were TBA seem to have been filled in now:

http://www.abt.org/performances/calendar_index1.asp

The June 1 Kitri is N Osipova!! In other words, Osipova's performances have increased from 2 to 3 at the Met 2010, and her partner is Carreno!

The June 3 TBA Basilio, dancing with Murphy, is Steifel

I forgot where the other TBA in the schedule previously for Basilio was.

The June 1 Kitri is N Osipova!! In other words, Osipova's performances have increased from 2 to 3 at the Met 2010, and her partner is Carreno!

Thanks for posting that. Osipova should be incredible, if all the buzz about her DonQ is true.

Thanks for posting that. Osipova should be incredible, if all the buzz about her DonQ is true.

that's welcome news to me. I'm looking forward to an Osipova Don Q!

Osipova is also to do Act III of the June 3rd performance with Carreno.

Good point. I wonder what other members think about the special June 3d performance, where 3 pairs of Basilios/Kitris will be dancing their applicable portion of a single ballet, versus a "regular" performance? :thumbsup: Has the ABT done something like this before?

Osipova is also to do Act III of the June 3rd performance with Carreno.

Good point. I wonder what other members think about the special June 3d performance, where 3 pairs of Basilios/Kitris will be dancing their applicable portion of a single ballet, versus a "regular" performance? :thumbsup: Has the ABT done something like this before?

I remember one Gala(but don't remember when) where there were 3 Kitris doing the Grand PDD( not together but one after another).

I wonder what other members think about the special June 3d performance, where 3 pairs of Basilios/Kitris will be dancing their applicable portion of a single ballet, versus a "regular" performance? :clapping: Has the ABT done something like this before?

I remember one Gala(but don't remember when) where there were 3 Kitris doing the Grand PDD( not together but one after another).
In the past, ABT has had Hispanic nights (an official gala of a sort :rofl: ), and in the past, they've done it by making an all-Hispanic principal cast in Le Corsaire. I guess they'd rather use Osipova than their Hispanic soloist, Maria Riccetto.
I wonder what other members think about the special June 3d performance, where 3 pairs of Basilios/Kitris will be dancing their applicable portion of a single ballet, versus a "regular" performance? :blush: Has the ABT done something like this before?

In the past, ABT has had Hispanic nights (an official gala of a sort :) ), and in the past, they've done it by making an all-Hispanic principal cast in Le Corsaire. I guess they'd rather use Osipova than their Hispanic soloist, Maria Riccetto.

I guess neither Osipova nor Riccetto would technically meet the original description in the ABT's Met program press release. That was why I wasn't originally thinking it could be Osipova.

"A Celebration for Alicia Alonso. As part of American Ballet Theatre 70th Anniversary season, the Company will celebrate the life and career of legendary dancer and ballet director Alicia Alonso. Alonso joined Ballet Theatre in 1940 and was promoted to Principal Dancer in 1946. Famed for her interpretation of the title role in Giselle, Alonso also starred in the World Premieres of ABT’s most critically hailed works, including George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations, Antony Tudor’s Undertow and as The Accused in Agnes de Mille’s Fall River Legend; all roles that were created on her. Alonso’s 90th birthday will be marked by a special performance of Don Quixote on Thursday evening, June 3 featuring three Principal casts, each dancing the lead in one act of the three act classic."

If "three Principal casts" means three casts, whose Basilio and Kitri are all principals, then neither Osipova nor Riccetto technically meets that requirements. I guess "three Principal casts" has a less likely meaning that the "main" ballerina and danseur (ie the male and female leads) in each cast are different, but that meaning seems less plausible. Having Osipova be the Kitri in this is of course wonderful. :wacko: