This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Henning Kronstam

Helene

In the September 2009 print edition of Dancing Times, there is an interview with Nikolai Hubbe, who when he was asked whether Kronstam had influenced him said:

"Henning was the glue that kept most of the company together. He was the main part of the success which The Royal Danish Ballet had in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. His artistic path was so dominant in the company, as a teacher, director, stage director, that he influenced us just by walking the corridors. I think I was influenced by him consciously, subconsciously and by osmosis. Henning instilled an elegance and a referential attitude to the art form that influenced my generation very much. He was fantastic, a story-teller and artist. He was the artistic conscience of the company."

(p.28)

Doesn't surprise me. That impression came over even on the small screen when he and Kirsten Simone would do "Bell Telephone Hour". Erik Bruhn was wonderful, but he almost seemed like an unattainable ideal. Kronstam inspired confidence in the student-viewer, that excellence is a realistic goal.

Thanks for posting that, Helene. Who conducted that interview?

What Hubbe said is almost exactly what Ib Andersen said in an interview I did in about 1994. "He was the glue that held the company together. He was the only reason the Danish ballet held on to its international reputation as long as it did.” It's generally what the dancers said when I was doing interviews there. It was very good to read it from Hubbe :wallbash:

In the September 2009 print edition of Dancing Times, there is an interview with Nikolai Hubbe, who when he was asked whether Kronstam had influenced him said:
"Henning was the glue that kept most of the company together. He was the main part of the success which The Royal Danish Ballet had in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. His artistic path was so dominant in the company, as a teacher, director, stage director, that he influenced us just by walking the corridors. I think I was influenced by him consciously, subconsciously and by osmosis. Henning instilled an elegance and a referential attitude to the art form that influenced my generation very much. He was fantastic, a story-teller and artist. He was the artistic conscience of the company."

(p.28)

I don't buy the Dancing Times these days so I am glad you mentioned this article.

Was there ever a more elegant man or dancer (well, Erik Bruhn). I love what Hubbe said, it moved me deeply reviving in my minds eye Mr Kronstam standing outside the Royal Opera House for all the world looking like a young Lord that had stepped out of an 18th century English painting so noble was his bearing.

If you can find the photographs of Mr. Kronstam as the Prince in "Sleeping Beauty", he simply radiates nobility.

If you can find the photographs of Mr. Kronstam as the Prince in "Sleeping Beauty", he simply radiates nobility.

You can find one here. That site is an advertisement for Alexandra Tomalonis' very enjoyable book, Henning Kronstam, Portrait of a Danish Dancer.