This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Norman Crider passed away this morning in Indianapolis, Indiana. In his varied and extraordinary life, he was a versatile entertainer, international cabaret artist, American baton twirling champion, dealer in antiquities, and a foremost authority on Romantic Ballet. He will of course be remembered as the founder of the Ballet Shop, and had also founded the Antiques Center of America in New York.

Mr. Crider was 70 years old. Services will be private.

Edited to correct the name of the Antiques Center. Please see further information added below.

Thank you for posting this, Mme. Hermine. I was very sorry to read it. I knew Norman Crider from his days at the Ballet Shop; half of my dance library came from that Shop! He knew every customer -- and what he had SOLD to every customer. If you saw a book, he would call over to say, "No, you have that one. You need the OTHER Keith Money book -- I think I have one in back."

I was given this information just this morning so I am posting it now:

Norman Crider was born and raised in New Mexico and had completed 2 years of college by the age of 17. He left college to work as a professional juggler and for 12 years performed in countries all over the world. He won the International Juggling Championship in Bergamo, Italy in 1969.

He lived in Paris for 8 years and spoke fluent French. The French Government awarded him the Order of Cultural Merit and Philanthropy. After retiring from show business in 1969, he was the founder and president of the Antiques Center of America. In 1974 he opened the Ballet Shop at Lincoln Center, which became a New York landmark and continued for 22 years, and which for several years also maintained a gallery on Madison Avenue. He was an expert on the ballet of the 19th century and worked extensively with Sotheby's and Christie's. He was an original merchant in Trump Tower and had an antiques shop there for 13 years, as well as a second shop which focused on Russian contemporary art and another in the Rockefeller Center Promenade which focused on Russian merchandise.

Among his many areas of interest and expertise in antiques was the world wide movement in old costume jewelry. Connoisseur Magazine said, "Norman Crider created a market where there was none."

Norman Crider is survived by his life partner, Tobias Leibovitz.

Norman Crider passed away this morning in Indianapolis, Indiana. In his varied and extraordinary life, he was a versatile entertainer, international cabaret artist, American baton twirling champion, dealer in antiquities, and a foremost authority on Romantic Ballet. He will of course be remembered as the founder of the Ballet Shop, and had also founded the Antiques Center of America in New York.

Mr. Crider was 70 years old. Services will be private.

Edited to correct the name of the Antiques Center. Please see further information added below.

I am saddened to hear this news.

The Ballet Shop was the first port of call for London balletomanes when they visited New York.

I didn't know him well, but I loved to hang out in the Ballet Shop, and rarely got away without acquiring something, so I too owe my large collection of dance books to Norman Crider. I was heartbroken when the Shop closed.

What a fascinating life he had. May he rest in peace.

Just as a side note to this announcement of three years ago, the following, along with other short silent videos, is up on YouTube.

Norman not only twirled and juggled, he did it on ice, and often the batons were on fire. The poster is putting up a series of these

very short videos of Norman, as they are the only record of his performing career. Though you might enjoy seeing one, there are others on the channel.