This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB's 2009-10 Winter season

I just opened my renewal tickets and the price of the first ring remains the same (they just went up a couple of seasons ago, if I'm remembering correctly).

I should add that my seats (various subscriptions) are all over the first ring. One is, however, in the center section 4th row on the aisle (so I'm guessing that is pretty dead center, but maybe not?).

I should add that my seats (various subscriptions) are all over the first ring. One is, however, in the center section 4th row on the aisle (so I'm guessing that is pretty dead center, but maybe not?).
I may be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time :blink: ), but it's my understanding that the only section where the seating is being reconfigured is the orchestra.
I just printed out the NYCB 2010 Winter Repertory schedule - that is one weird looking NYCB season. My first thought was far too rude to post on a well-behaved BB like BT. My second thought was "Midsummer Night's Dream" in January - what were they smoking?

I was poking around the site, and I happened across the following post from Michael from Winter Season 2004:

Just to note that the matinee of Midsummer Night's Dream on Sat. Jan 10 was one of the better performances of this ballet I have ever seen.

While it definitely felt strange going to see this ballet on one of the coldest afternoons in midwinter I can remember, 12 degrees fahrenheit and the wind blowing outside at curtain time; and I thought I would have trouble making the connection -- from the moment the orchestra intoned its first few adagio chords, and then when the curtain came up to the magnificently costumed and rehearsed children's corps de ballet, I was transported to those endless June evenings when I have always seen this ballet. To the point when several times during the performance I found myself rather pointlessly and involuntarily, surprisingly and lightly weeping.

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...st&p=126621

I just printed out the NYCB 2010 Winter Repertory schedule - that is one weird looking NYCB season. My first thought was far too rude to post on a well-behaved BB like BT. My second thought was "Midsummer Night's Dream" in January - what were they smoking?

I was poking around the site, and I happened across the following post from Michael from Winter Season 2004:

Just to note that the matinee of Midsummer Night's Dream on Sat. Jan 10 was one of the better performances of this ballet I have ever seen.

While it definitely felt strange going to see this ballet on one of the coldest afternoons in midwinter I can remember, 12 degrees fahrenheit and the wind blowing outside at curtain time; and I thought I would have trouble making the connection -- from the moment the orchestra intoned its first few adagio chords, and then when the curtain came up to the magnificently costumed and rehearsed children's corps de ballet, I was transported to those endless June evenings when I have always seen this ballet. To the point when several times during the performance I found myself rather pointlessly and involuntarily, surprisingly and lightly weeping.

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...st&p=126621

I think you've just convinced me to buy some tickets! I usually don't get really weary of winter until around mid-February, but a bit of June in January might be welcome nonetheless.

I had always wished that ABT and NYCB could swap ballerinas every season. I always liked Amanda McKerrow in Balanchine and wanted to see her in a wider Balanchine repertory. I also thought that Merrill Ashley would have burned up the stage late career in "Fall River Legend" circa 1992.

I have read interesting things about "Les Presages" by Massine which seems to be a plotless symphonic ballet that predates Balanchine's pioneering work in the genre. It is in the repertory of some international companies - the POB and Joffrey. That is a Massine work that might fit in well with the Balanchine/Robbins esthetic.

BTW: a friend saw some Leo Staats ballets performed by the Paris Opera Ballet school in Paris. This friend saw his "Soir de Fete" performed and was blown away. Staats was admired by Balanchine and "Soir de Fete" was an early influence and a precursor to his plotless ballets - this would seem to be a good idea to revive pieces that contributed to Balanchine's artistic evolution. These ballets still survive unlike something like Fyodor Lopukhov's "Dance Symphony" to music by Beethoven that was only performed once in 1923 and probably couldn't be reconstructed. It was controversial and probably was condemned as being "formalist" and disappeared. That also was a symphonic ballet and a great influence on the very young Balanchine.