This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Music for "Chaconne"

Ivypink, the music for Chaconne is the ballet music Gluck composed for his opera Orfeo ed Euridice (not the first version produced in Vienna, but the version known as the “Paris” version; they liked their ballet in Paris). It is possible to find the ballet music on some of the opera recordings self-described as the Paris version, but not all. You have to read the box or the product description very carefully. I don't have a lot of time right now but others may have more details.

I have two different LPs with the ballet music standing alone. One was conducted by Pierre Monteux, the other one I can’t remember. I prefer the second one, so I’ll try to dig it up. I’ve never found the ballet music alone on CD and if it’s available I’d be interested to know about it.

Welcome to the board. :)

here's how the Balanchine Catalogue on line describes the musical source:

Music: By Christoph Willibald Gluck (ballet music from Orfeo ed Euridice, produced 1762, with music from the Paris production of 1774).

as already noted, any recording possibly including this music must be from the 1774 version of Gluck's opera.