This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alicia Alonso and Martha Graham

for a PBS anniversary not long ago, playwright Wendy Wasserstein created a playlet called KISS KISS DAHLINGS for the anniversary telecasts, and w/o meaning any disrespect all around, this moment could be a footnote to Wasserstein's theatrical sentiments.

post-848-1248024794_thumb.jpg

for a PBS anniversary not long ago, playwright Wendy Wasserstein created a playlet called KISS KISS DAHLINGS for the anniversary telecasts, and w/o meaning any disrespect all around, this moment could be a footnote to Wasserstein's theatrical sentiments.

I love it! :blink: what a hoot! Yay silly season! Not even too hot in NYC this summer, so easier to have more fun.

It was 1960, and the caption reads that Alonso was to perform Giselle at the Met. By then she was most of her time in Cuba reorganizing her Company helped by Castro, but US/Cuba diplomatic relationship still existed. I wonder if she was to perform as a member of her own Company, or if she was still in the BT roster, or if she had become some sort of BT "guest" dancer. Those were probably her very last performances in US before a very long time until Americans got to see her again I believe around the late 70's, when she returned with her Company-(I believe to dance Carmen and Giselle. atm, correct me if I'm wrong)

I wonder if she was to perform as a member of her own Company, or if she was still in the BT roster, or if she had become some sort of BT "guest" dancer.
She danced Giselle at the Met with American Ballet Theater on April 22. She was a "guest," replacing Alicia Markova, who was ill in London. Royes Fernandez, her Albrecht, was also a replacement (for Erik Bruhn). Lupe Serrano was Myrthe. John Martin gave her an excellent review in the NY Times.

Cristian, your reference to the events that followed the Alonso-Graham meeting also struck me. It adds an element of sadness to this photo, to think of how thing would change in only a few years.

Is that a short dress Mme. is wearing...? Wow...NEVER saw any pic. of her being that risque...)
No, I think it's just a gathering of a top layer of fabric over a long skirt. Skirts didn't go mini until the mid-60s, post-Beatle invasion, Carnaby St. era.

There's a note of sweetness exchanged between these two formidable females who each, in her way, usually comes across as intimidating. I like it.