This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Joffrey Ballet's "Homage to Diaghilev" or "Homage t

A long time ago I saw an offering of the VHS on ebay. Now I can't seem to locate anything about it. Does anyone have any info? I'm not sure if it was titled "Homage to Diaghileve" or "Homage to Nijinsky." Thanks for any input.

this is likely what you recall:

In tribute to Nijinsky / WNET/Thirteen in association with the British Broadcasting Corporation ; directed by Emile Ardolino ; produced by Emile Ardolino and Judy Kinberg.New York, N.Y. : WNET/Thirteen, c1981.

Musical direction, Terence Kern ; script, Dale Harris ; art and lighting direction, Ralph Holmes ; videotape editing, Girish Bhargava ; executive producer, Jac Venza.

Danced by Rudolf Nureyev and the Joffrey Ballet.

Conductor: Terence Kern.

Solo pianist: Paul Jacobs.

Narrator: Michael Tolan.

Commentators: Rudolf Nureyev and Robert Joffrey.

Rudolf Nureyev dances the title roles in three ballets originally danced and/or choreographed by Vaslav Nijinsky. The performances are interspersed with background material about Nijinsky's life and career with Serge Diaghilev's Ballets Russes.

Petrouchka / choreography, Michel Fokine, staged by Yurek Lazowsky ; music, Igor Stravinsky ; libretto, Igor Stravinsky and Alexandre Benois ; scenery and costumes, Alexandre Benois ; danced by Rudolf Nureyev (Petrouchka) ; Denise Jackson (ballerina) ; Christian Holder (blackamoor) ; Gary Chryst (old showman) ; Susan Stewart, Carole Vallesky (street dancing girls) ; Charlene Gehm, Krystyna Jurkowski (Gypsy girls) ; Cynthia Anderson (first nursemaid) ; Jerel Hilding (Imperial coachman) ; and others.

Le spectre de la rose / choreography, Michel Fokine, staged by Nicholas Beriozoff ; music, Carl Maria von Weber ; libretto, from a poem by Théophile Gautier adapted by J. L. Vaudoyer ; designs, Léon Bakst ; danced by Rudolf Nureyev (the spirit of the rose) and Denise Jackson (the young girl).

L'après-midi d'un faune / choreography, Vaslav Nijinsky, reconstructed by Elisabeth Schooling and William Chappell ; music, Claude Debussy ; scenery and costumes, Léon Bakst ; danced by Rudolf Nureyev (the faun) and Charlene Gehm (leader of the nymphs) with Cameron Basden, Ursula Burke, Lynne Chervony, Krystyna Jurkowski, Patricia Miller, and Carole Valleskey (nymphs).

In tribute to Nijinsky / WNET/Thirteen in association with the British Broadcasting Corporation ; directed by Emile Ardolino ; produced by Emile Ardolino and Judy Kinberg.New York, N.Y. : WNET/Thirteen, c1981.

Musical direction, Terence Kern ; script, Dale Harris ; art and lighting direction, Ralph Holmes ; videotape editing, Girish Bhargava ; executive producer, Jac Venza.

Danced by Rudolf Nureyev and the Joffrey Ballet.

Conductor: Terence Kern.

Solo pianist: Paul Jacobs.

Narrator: Michael Tolan.

Commentators: Rudolf Nureyev and Robert Joffrey.

Rudolf Nureyev dances the title roles in three ballets originally danced and/or choreographed by Vaslav Nijinsky. The performances are interspersed with background material about Nijinsky's life and career with Serge Diaghilev's Ballets Russes.

Petrouchka / choreography, Michel Fokine, staged by Yurek Lazowsky ; music, Igor Stravinsky ; libretto, Igor Stravinsky and Alexandre Benois ; scenery and costumes, Alexandre Benois ; danced by Rudolf Nureyev (Petrouchka) ; Denise Jackson (ballerina) ; Christian Holder (blackamoor) ; Gary Chryst (old showman) ; Susan Stewart, Carole Vallesky (street dancing girls) ; Charlene Gehm, Krystyna Jurkowski (Gypsy girls) ; Cynthia Anderson (first nursemaid) ; Jerel Hilding (Imperial coachman) ; and others.

Le spectre de la rose / choreography, Michel Fokine, staged by Nicholas Beriozoff ; music, Carl Maria von Weber ; libretto, from a poem by Théophile Gautier adapted by J. L. Vaudoyer ; designs, Léon Bakst ; danced by Rudolf Nureyev (the spirit of the rose) and Denise Jackson (the young girl).

L'après-midi d'un faune / choreography, Vaslav Nijinsky, reconstructed by Elisabeth Schooling and William Chappell ; music, Claude Debussy ; scenery and costumes, Léon Bakst ; danced by Rudolf Nureyev (the faun) and Charlene Gehm (leader of the nymphs) with Cameron Basden, Ursula Burke, Lynne Chervony, Krystyna Jurkowski, Patricia Miller, and Carole Valleskey (nymphs).

Thanks so much for the info, Mardow

A long time ago I saw an offering of the VHS on ebay. Now I can't seem to locate anything about it. Does anyone have any info? I'm not sure if it was titled "Homage to Diaghileve" or "Homage to Nijinsky." Thanks for any input.

i think you're looking for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tribute-Nijinsky-Pet...6899&sr=8-3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFWZXaBBg4

-goro-

Thank you so much for the link, Martha

~~~

I recently picked up a used copy of the the Joffrey/Nureyev Tribute to Nijinsky on VHS. Does anyone know if there is a commercially available video of the Joffrey performing Millicent Hodson's recreation of Nijinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps? I've seen it posted in segments on YouTube but I don't know where they come from.

Thanks!

Jude

the following program was telecast on PBS but it has not so far released commercially:

The search for Nijinsky's Rite of spring [videorecording] / a co-production of WNET/New York and Danmarks Radio in association with Czechoslovak Television and BBC, La Sept, NOS Television ; dance directed by Thomas Grimm ; documentary directed by Judy Kinberg ; produced by Judy Kinberg and Thomas Grimm New York, N.Y. : WNET/13, 1989.

(58 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences Narrator, Kathryn Walker.

Danced by the Joffrey Ballet: Carole Valleskey (A 300-year-old woman), Paul Shoemaker (Old sage), Beatriz Rodriguez (The chosen one), and others.

Music performed by the Orchestra of the National Theatre, Prague, conducted by Allan Lewis.

Set coordinator, Ves Harper ; lighting, Jorgen Johannessen and Tim Hunter ; production executive, Rhoda Grauer ; writer, Holly Brubach.

Concluding performance by the Joffrey Ballet: choreography, Vaslav Nijinsky, reconstructed and staged by Millicent Hodson ; music, Igor Stravinsky ; scenario, Igor Stravinsky and Nikolai Roerich ; scenery and costumes, Nikolai Roerich, reconstructed by Kenneth Archer ; artistic supervision of reconstruction, Robert Joffrey.

Telecast by WNET/13, New York, on the Great Performances: Dance in America series on November 24, 1989.

Documentary on the history and reconstruction of Vaslav Nijinsky's ballet The rite of spring (Le sacre du printemps). The 1913 premiere of the ballet is illustrated through still photographs and historical footage of interviews with Igor Stravinsky and Dame Marie Rambert. Dance historian Millicent Hodson and art historian Kenneth Archer describe the process of reconstructing the ballet, which is then seen in a performance by the Joffrey Ballet.

the following program was telecast on PBS but it has not so far released commercially:

Thanks for the info!

Bummer that it's not been released. I'll have to lobby PBS and anyone else I can think of, although I haven't had much luck with that in the past. Still, can't hurt.

Jude