This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The ultimate insult for rugby players: "Take up Ballet"

Go for it!!...and don't worry...I'll be backing you up...

and BTW, now that I remember, I've always found the perpetual story-telling of the boy-raised-in-tough-Queens-turned-boxer-turned-dancer-so-there-you-see-that-not-all-of-us-are-part-of-the-bunch-of-sissies kind of...-(hum-how should I say it so it doesn't sound politically incorrect...)-way too forced...(or worn off...?..)

I was making clear who said 'consider the source'. Is that what you are talking about? That's why I put the quotes down and played with it, just like one of the commenters had played with the quotes. That is legitimate, I'm fairly sure. Maybe you weren't referring to what I said, but I wasn't talking about 'boxers', et alia, 'who aren't sissies' (I'm certain some of them are.). Just wanted to make that clear, although the other part of the partial quote of my own ought to by itself. What's a 'despective glance'? Anyway, this isn't really the kind of board where someone else's quotes ought to be taken out of context and attributed to someone slse, unless subsequent commenters can do it as well. If there is some perception i was trying to make it 'not too politically incorrect', that is not the case. I don't care if it was politically incorrect.

Next time this guy says something like this, let me know,

You can also just say 'consider the sourec', that's cool...ho ho ho...

I was making clear who said 'consider the source'. Is that what you are talking about? That's why I put the quotes down and played with it, just like one of the commenters had played with the quotes. That is legitimate, I'm fairly sure. Maybe you weren't referring to what I said, but I wasn't talking about 'boxers', et alia, 'who aren't sissies' (I'm certain some of them are.). Just wanted to make that clear, although the other part of the partial quote of my own ought to by itself. What's a 'despective glance'? Anyway, this isn't really the kind of board where someone else's quotes ought to be taken out of context and attributed to someone slse, unless subsequent commenters can do it as well. If there is some perception i was trying to make it 'not too politically incorrect', that is not the case. I don't care if it was politically incorrect.
Next time this guy says something like this, let me know,

You can also just say 'consider the sourec', that's cool...ho ho ho...

No, no, no, Patrick...I wasn't referring at all to your post... :wink: I just suddenly remembered that too often told story of the boxer/dancer-(which I'm sure you know pretty well, as well as the rest of the ballet fans in America), and I was just not sure that it would be correct for me even to mention it here-(hence sounding "politically incorrect", as this is a frequently used phrase within this board)- due to the likeness of the subject within the ballet world...(me included...)

Oh, and a despective glance to the bad guys would be-(just be imaginative, because I don't have the right emoticon, ok...?)-sort of :dry: plus :angry2:

This comment got a lot of air time in the UK, not because of what this guy said, but why he said it. He was defending one of his players who was guilty of gouging. In other words, defending the indefensible and for that reason he is beneath contempt. Rugby can be an extremely dangerous sport and the injury rates are high, including the occasional death, but deliberately injuring a player is another matter and had this happened in Britain it could have resulted in a criminal charge of assault.

Is Rugby such a manly game? A gay American dancer who used to live in London was fascinated by it and I can remember him exclaiming to me whilst watching a scrum on TV, “just look where he put his hand!” He was quite right and when things like that go on, forgive the rest of us when we find this talk of tutus and cissies a matter of people in glass house throwing stones.

For the record, Patrick, I hadn’t realized you had used the phrase ‘consider the source.’ I was referring to the gist of sejacko’s post, not the literal wording. So your post was neither taken out of context nor misattributed by me. :)

Mashinka, your friend's comment reminded me of

. :crying:
For the record, Patrick, I hadn’t realized you had used the phrase ‘consider the source.’ I was referring to the gist of sejacko’s post, not the literal wording. So your post was neither taken out of context nor misattributed by me. :)

Okay, sorry. Also, for the record, I don't find the rugby players all that 'uber-manly', if you must know. Sweaty, yes, but anybody can do that. I just meant that either uber-manly (anyone's choice, maybe some think Lord Byron) nor uber-womanly (maybe Garbo or Fonteyn) would neither one be terrible, because somebody's got to do it--that's where stars go. I don't think it necessarily means gentlemanly or ladylike either (although these could be), but I definitely don't think some crude professional sports macho jocks would qualify. And although I clearly may not take what they say as seriously as some, because I don't think they are very bright, I certainly don't find them paradigms of maleness--at least not these, God knows. :crying: